Sign in to follow this  
Killbeggar

Your thoughts on my Inquisitor

I am thinking of a former Sororitas (Sister Inquisitor Isis Von Quälen) that worked with the Inquisition and had a vision from the Emperor and was told her talents were needed as an Inquisitor rather than a soldier of the ecclesiarchy.

The main thing I am having trouble deciding on is making her an Untouchable. I know being a psyker is grounds for being tossed out of the Adepta but what about anti-psykers? Would it be tolerated or celebrated? I know it would not make her popular with a lot of her colleagues in the Inquisition but they can learn to deal with it. gui%C3%B1o.gif Any thoughts or advice or fluff references would be appreciated.

That sounds like a really cool idea Killbeggar. As far as fluff goes, untouchable sisters are actually used by the sororitas. There have been many orders that have used them considering they fight Witches so much. Though they arent as heavily used as they used to be before the horus heresy. If you pick up any of the recent novels they reference the untouchable brides of the emperor, before he was worshipped as a god of course. So your idea of having an untouchable sororitas actualy makes sense, good luck cheers. 

bogi_khaosa is right, untouchables cannot have visions, as a vision is a psykic event. a delusion on the other hand is entirely possible. and they can't use faith powers either, so her skills might rightly so be put to better use in the inquisition.

Untouchable + Delusion = great Inq Concept.

She might not be able to utilise Fate Points for faith powers but she can bne perfectly sure that the emperor protects her from the vile threats of the warp and refuse to acknowlege her soulless state.

if you make her an untouchable, you could  give her a bunch of anti witch tools, like a witch cage and the like..and make her very much anti psyker... with an extreeme faith in the emporer to protect her (knowing she is untouchable)

Then keep the fact that she is untouchable a deep dark seceret that your players can discover later

that way it can be an added surprise to players when they face off against anything with a psyrating, or try and use some psychich abilties to 'earn' thier pay again...

Sorry for thread necromancy but I thought that it probably wasn't THAT old yet.

I think its a pretty cool idea although I would think that this Inquisitor would perhaps work best as a kind of lone wolf as opposed to one who have hundreds of people in her employ. And so I would probably run her as a kind of supporting character who may well aid the players, but would probably not be the one who they directly work for. You know, the silent brooding warrior who takes down a dozen people by herself but know one knows her even if she's grudingly respected by everyone. That type of character.

If I can throw out my own opinion and thoughts. I have a Inquisitor NPC similar to what your describing. He is Inquisitor Anitketos, Lord of the Red Court, and also A pariah. He doesn;t get along well with alot of the memebers of teh inquisitor and the radicals aswell. He hunts down any form of psyker, killing them even if the claim of heresy was false. He often works with a space marine chapter who hunts down radical inquisitors. If he ever meets anyone who has any form of psychic, faith, daemon weapon, ect in the inquisition he treats them with disrespect but will work with the grudginly if ordered to work with them

The biggest thing that sticks out to me here is the ex-Sororitas Inquisitor being an Untouchable.  The pre-Thorian-reformation Brides of the Emperor made extensive use of females with the Pariah gene, but the modern Adepta Sororitas are institutionally predisposed against Untouchables because they cannot be touched by FAITH.  By this I mean the level of faith that produces miracles in times of need:  This is one of the Sisterhood's key weapons, and a Battle Sister who's presence is anathema to the manefestation of faith miracles and disruptive to her fellow sisters' abilities would almost certainly be pawned off on one of the other Adepta while she is still a young girl in the Schola Progenia.

That said, I like the basic concept.  I would probably make her as a Cleric, ascend her into Inquisitor and then make sure to select skills and talents that reflect close synergy with Sororitas philosophy and battle tactics.  Essentially, make her a hard as nails preacher that naturally turned to more militant persuits due to her somewhat lacking social skills (people just dislike her for no particular reason that they can explain or justify.)  She has fought alongside Imperial Guard as well as the Adepta Sororitas, but she is not truely a part of either.  As a fun twist, you could have her be unaware of her Pariah status (Although you can bet a select few in the Inquisition and Ecclesiarchy are aware of it!) and has the delusion that her rigid faith in He Who is Enthroned on Terra is what shields her from harm from filthy, unclean wytches.  She is almost certainly emotionally distant and cold due to her terrible life experiences as a Pariah, but she does not see this as a problem since she does not require your friendship nor your appreciation, merely your OBEDIANCE!

Of course, thanks to her authority as an Inquisitor (and close Ecclesiarcy ties) she has laid claim to some Adepta Sororitas wargear that bears her personal heraldry in place of the more common AS markings for those occasions when subtlety is uncalled for.  In more formal situations she could habitually wear Shield Robes.  For this Inquisitor, her Pariah gene makes her a terrible undercover operator, so she probably would avoid the more subtle and discrete wardrobe options and instead opts for wearing her faith on her sleve.... literally.  Peer/Good Rep with Ecclesiarchy and Adepta Sororitas are obvious starts for traits.  C.Lore/S.Lore (Imperial Creed, Ecclesiarchy) +20, S.Lore (Tactica Imperialis).  Trained with bolt, flame, chain, melta weapons for sure.  Possibly Transcendent Hate.   Ordo Hereticus almost certainly.

One other possibility:  Since my version would not be true Sororitas, instead of the usual Schola Progenia, Noble, Monastic or Famulous Protege origin, perhaps make her of Hive or Imperial World origin and a member of the Red Redemption cult in her youth.  If you do not plan on her being Monodominant for some reason then avoid this idea for sure, although from what you have told us so far it is likely a decent fit.

I am now leaning against the Untouchable idea, but cannot find any references that it affects Faith Powers. Not saying anyone is wrong but I just haven't found the rule yet. I can see why it's not allowed but can think of several reasons why it could work.

But anyway I do appreciate the advice from all of you, some great ideas (and characters) in there.

I was also thinking of making her friendly (if sad that she had to leave her sisters), that would freak out my players more than a 'burn 'em all' sororitas. :)

Killbeggar said:

I am now leaning against the Untouchable idea, but cannot find any references that it affects Faith Powers. Not saying anyone is wrong but I just haven't found the rule yet. I can see why it's not allowed but can think of several reasons why it could work.

But anyway I do appreciate the advice from all of you, some great ideas (and characters) in there.

I was also thinking of making her friendly (if sad that she had to leave her sisters), that would freak out my players more than a 'burn 'em all' sororitas. :)

Does it say anywhere that Faith Powers are connected to the warp?  I tend to agree with you in that I don't think it does, so it is up to you how untouchables interact with faith powers, and whether they should be interpreted as 'powers' at all.  If I had to make the call as a GM I would say that the Emporer just does not smile on an untouchable.  I also don't think one could never rise to the rank of Cannoness. From what I know of the SOBs, it is a political position so you need to be a charismatic leader to get there.  As we all know, untouchables are ANTI-charisma.  So I couldn't see it. (Imagine a guy who totally creeped everyone else in the room out trying to get them motivated with an inspirational speech!)

Perhaps you should check out the 'Denounced and Condemned' package in the Radicals Handbook.  Very awesome package for justifying why a Sister may have split from the Eclisiarchy and hooked up with the Inquisition.  If my Assassin bites it (one fate point left) then that is what I'm going for.

One of the big problems is with the untouchable package.  I think people tend to gloss over the negative aspects of being despised by everyone to get an in-game power that is very strong.

**** this post sounds negative and I don't have time for rewrite.  I'm trying to be constructive here, honest.  happy.gif

Killbeggar said:

Does it say anywhere that Faith Powers are connected to the warp?  I tend to agree with you in that I don't think it does, so it is up to you how untouchables interact with faith powers, and whether they should be interpreted as 'powers' at all.  If I had to make the call as a GM I would say that the Emporer just does not smile on an untouchable.  I also don't think one could never rise to the rank of Cannoness. From what I know of the SOBs, it is a political position so you need to be a charismatic leader to get there.  As we all know, untouchables are ANTI-charisma.  So I couldn't see it. (Imagine a guy who totally creeped everyone else in the room out trying to get them motivated with an inspirational speech!)

Perhaps you should check out the 'Denounced and Condemned' package in the Radicals Handbook.  Very awesome package for justifying why a Sister may have split from the Eclisiarchy and hooked up with the Inquisition.  If my Assassin bites it (one fate point left) then that is what I'm going for.

One of the big problems is with the untouchable package.  I think people tend to gloss over the negative aspects of being despised by everyone to get an in-game power that is very strong.

**** this post sounds negative and I don't have time for rewrite.  I'm trying to be constructive here, honest.  happy.gif

Killbeggar said:

Killbeggar said:

Killbeggar said:

From Inquisitor's Handbook:

An untouchable may not for example, under any normal circumstances enter into a Dark Pact with a warp entity or receive the benefits of beneficial psychic powers, sorcery or true faith. They may not learn sorcery or take any talents associated with it and may not have faith talents.

Tom Cruise said:

Killbeggar said:

From Inquisitor's Handbook:

An untouchable may not for example, under any normal circumstances enter into a Dark Pact with a warp entity or receive the benefits of beneficial psychic powers, sorcery or true faith. They may not learn sorcery or take any talents associated with it and may not have faith talents.

Err, Radical's Handbook rather. Bit of a derp there. Anyway, I have to agree with ZillaPrime, I really doubt you'd see any Untouchables in the Adepta Sororitas, given their aversion to faith powers and the fact that I've simply never seen one written. I think some people earlier in the topic may be getting the Sisters of Battle confused with the pre-heresy Sisters of Silance, who were all blanks, but they were a completely different faction,

I do have a a SOB, Sister Lucinda of the Order Vespila who is an Untouchable.

She has no clue that she is odd, and at the sametime because she likes to handle dead bodies, that fact other treat her different isn't noticeable to her.  Yet it is included that her transfer to the Order Vespila was because of her Untouchable Nature, after all the Dead aren't affect by her bedside manner.happy.gif

The Adeptas Soriritas would NOT accept an untouchable character into their ranks for the exact reason of  her pariah nature when it comes to disrupting the other sisters faith abilities as well as any psy abilities they might have/gain/use.  They would have found out about it well BEFORE she was ever of age to join the sisterhood.  If anything the Assasinorium wouldve picked her up for training at such a young age because of her untouchable status. As for being unaware of the status..thats not viable either. Anyone with that trait wouldve grown up shunned for the most part with few friends due to their repulsive unnatural presence ( or lack thereof )  And unfortunately you cannot gain untouchable trait after the fact either since it is described as either a result of the latent Pariah genome ( put there by the Ctan Eons ago ) or some freak of nature that makes you effectively considered "souless"......Sorry but if you have no soul you cannot have true faith and as stated in the IHB you cannot use or take any faith based talents...Therefore you are effectively barred from active service with the Sisterhood

Cobramax76 said:

The Adeptas Soriritas would NOT accept an untouchable character into their ranks for the exact reason of  her pariah nature when it comes to disrupting the other sisters faith abilities as well as any psy abilities they might have/gain/use.  They would have found out about it well BEFORE she was ever of age to join the sisterhood.  If anything the Assasinorium wouldve picked her up for training at such a young age because of her untouchable status. As for being unaware of the status..thats not viable either. Anyone with that trait wouldve grown up shunned for the most part with few friends due to their repulsive unnatural presence ( or lack thereof )  And unfortunately you cannot gain untouchable trait after the fact either since it is described as either a result of the latent Pariah genome ( put there by the Ctan Eons ago ) or some freak of nature that makes you effectively considered "souless"......Sorry but if you have no soul you cannot have true faith and as stated in the IHB you cannot use or take any faith based talents...Therefore you are effectively barred from active service with the Sisterhood

She not unaware that she has a hardtime with people, but thinks it is because well, her job.  I based her on a friend's Daughter, really smart kid, and for years we expected she was going to endup as a CSI type.  She collected bugs, and other Icky things.  Didn't make her many friends in school.

Her nature makes her a good member of Order Vespile, and a bit creepy for people to deal with.  She also can preform Medic role for a team.

She is not a full SOB, but support Sister as Hospitaller who do not start the game with Pure Faith, I can see Untouchable slipping in especially as rare as they.  But yes she also can not get the benefits of them either.

Cobramax76 said:

It kind of feels like you're getting game mechanics mixed up with game nutritive here.

How would the Sororitas tell if a particular novice has purchased the True Faith ability or not? They measure faith in deeds and actions, not whether miracles regularly happen around said sister or not. In fact, barring the picture the game rules seem to paint, miracles rarely if ever happen around an individual sister. When they do, it is an important and momentous thing complete with, what I imagine, a lot of investigation to validate what had occurred just to make sure something hinky didn't happen to put a witch in their midst. Having the True Faith talent is likewise not a requirement of being in the sisterhood, just chased piety and a zealous devotion to the God-Emperor and the sisterhood. An untouchable in the sororitas is probably just in for a life of chastisement, penance and punishment for perceived but never named sins and impurities before she gets shuttled off to some dark and mostly forgotten convent to preform dreary duties analogous with peeling potatoes for the sisterhood for the rest of her life.

The sisters don't have any psy abilities (whether the whole True Faith is or is not is debatable but in-game, having copious faith and the Emperor's favour is not seen as such). They burn people for having that when they can and when they must, they'll at least guard others from them on the Black Ships.