Sign in to follow this  
Stark-Tully

Tullys Deck- Improvements and tips on combating against stealth and deadly?

Hey everyone! 

So I have a Tullys deck made from the preset deck suggestions from the LoW expansion. 

I like the expansion to my Stark Deck and I do want to keep using the Tullys as my main deck...but while I am playing, I realize that I lack a lot of deadly/stealth characters. I end up having my Tully characters decimated really fast when playing against my friends. What do I do to combat this? I know I can use cards to ignore their character's text boxes..but it's very hard when I'm playing against three other people and they all have stealth/deadly characters. 

Oh, and as a general sidenote, does anyone have any suggestions on how to alter the Tully deck suggestion? What I have done so far is remove Valar Morghulis because I felt it since I'm trying to get Blackfish out as soon as possible and setting up my cards around that card, I didn't want to have to kill them all off =S 

Please and thank you!

There's one key thing about the Tullys you need to know. The moment Riverrun hits the board you become an immediate target. If they leave you unchecked then you're claiming ALOT of power because the Tullys can spawn fast and are generally cheap characters to play.

Only way to defend against Stealth/Deadly with the Tullys is to give them it via attachments, really. Needle is a good card for Stealth. Northern Steel is a 2 cost card that can give a character Deadly and is non-unique so you can run 3 at one time on the board.

Arrdet said:

Frozen Moat is handy against Stealth characters.

And equally useful against Deadly. Same against renown. Or vigilant. In fact it's just a really nice card in general.

In regards to stealth and deadly... if you can't beat em, join em. Not a lot of stealth in Stark, but there is certainly some deadly. Northern Cavalry Flanks are great if you have any. Consider adding as many as you own (they were a only 1 of in a pack way back when). KL Eddard is very popular to protect the Blackfish and I think the deck list for Tully suggests the LoW Eddard, but you could consider using Core Set Eddard instead. Deadly and renown are great for power challenges. He can never die and if you have Needle you can replay it on him every time he dies. Now in general I'm not a fan of Stalwart, but Eddard is the one Stalwart card I consider using. Just make sure you have enough draw that you don't get stuck without draw redrawing him every round. Oh, and put at least one copy of Hodor in any Stark deck. Cause... Hodor.

Devious intentions

sure, it'll cost you 3 gold out-of-house, but for that, you get an intrigue icon, and stealth for the character of your choice. Plus if you stick it on the Blackfish, you can use the infamy to get him his 3 power in a single round, making him a strength 6+ non-kneeling attacker.

admittedly, that's a bit like Riverrun, making you something of a target.

For deadly, I'd echo whoever suggested Feral Pack. Throw in Old Nan to give some of your characters the 'direwolf' trait at interesting moments.

I've recently started experimenting with the Tully format - I've found 'Widow's Watch' to be of immense use. Ok, perhaps not for everyone's taste, but it means you can quickly and easily duplicate your important characters (Blackfish, Eddard, Catelyn) and also protect Riverrun by seeking a copy of it. I actually use 'Ice' to make me a less appealing target also.

Lay Ice, get a duplicate of it with Widow's Watch and keep in hand, use Ice to murder an enemy character, lay the other Ice, get your third copy...

Ok, it's not perfect, but it's a quite pleasant play I stumbled upon after a week of tinkering.

Great suggestions.  I played the Tully deck from LoW last night in a 3 player melee.  It did well but got bogged down in negative attachments played from my opponents.  Being that this was only my 2 game I think I did well.  I added Winterfell and Winterfell Castle and they are a great addition.

How would you deal with the attachments? (i.e. Milk of the Poppy)

FrigginCaller said:

no one knows?

Frozen Solid will be your best in-house option to deal with annoying attachments. If you are running maesters or learned crest characters you could also utilize the event Ill Tidings. Beyond that, there's always the maester tech itself, with that cheesy Tin Link.

There are other ways, but this should be enough to get you going in the right direction.

Meera Reed is also awesome for blanking cards out of Stark. She'll take away Stealth, Deadly, or a negative attachment. Keep in mind that if that attachment is on a non-character, it falls off. Here's her text:

Response: After a HS character leaves play, put Meera Reed into Shadows.

Any Phase: Bring Meera Reed out of Shadows and into play by paying the rest of her gold cost. Then choose 1 non-plot card (2 instead if it is Winter) and treat its printed text box as if it were blank until the end of the phase.

Just put 3x of this in your deck. If you are running the right Crests, this guy will beef you out.

Faceless Man
Type: Character House: Neutral
Cost: 3
STR: 2 Icon: Military,Intrigue
Ally.
If you control a War character, Faceless Man gets +2 STR.
If you control a Shadow character, Faceless Man gains Stealth.
If you control a Holy character, Faceless Man gains deadly.
If you control a Noble character, Faceless Man gains a Power icon.
Crest: Learned
Set: HtS