Sign in to follow this  
graver2

Is a human life equal to good quality bionics on Sinophia?

On Sinophia, which would you say is more valuble: a good quality bionic arm and eye that comes with a blind one armed slave (who may or may not live) on the side or a slave with a good quality bionic arm and eye attached who will deffinitly live?

The slave who will live. 'Cause you will still have his bionics when he's dead, but he might do some useful work before he croaks....

But going with the spirit of your question, I would say it's not so easy to answer. Sure bionics are valuable because of the very low ad-mech presence on Sinophia, but then slavery is illegal so one would need to go through all the trouble of setting up some sort of cover like indentured servitude or something. Then there is the fact that Sinophia suffers from a declining population, so labour might not be so readily available as one would like.

Tricky.

I think I would go with the Bionics. If only because it might give the appearance of wealth and connections, and to the (apparently) rich and famous, appearances are everything.

1) As Darth said

Slave + Bionic is more then / Same without a slave attached

2) I disagree on some points of the "formula" used later :)
2.1) Slave trades are illegal, but Sinophia is rotten to the core. While some precautions need to be taken, I think it should be significantly less trouble then some other Imperial World (like Dreah or Barsapine)
2.2) While population is low and declining I do not think that "general work force" is hard to get by. This state would indicate that most people are employed/busy. The picture of idleness, slumming and readiness for rebellion (in conjunction with a sprawling, organizied criminality) tells a different story.
If a lot of people are poor and criminality is high, it is normaly true that their is more workforce availalbe then actually needed at the moment (= high unemployment).

My 2 cents.

EDIT: If I would need to put a prize tag on a human life, a number of years I expect the slave to provide work (and WHAT work!) might a good indicator.  I would normally assume about 500 thrones for an able, male adult who is has learned some kind of craft.  300 thrones for somebody just useable as "industrial fodder" or working in the mines.
Since Sinophia has not much to offer and the criminal cartels make use of such thing, prices could be as low as 350 to 200 thrones for a slave.