Sign in to follow this  
adj511986

Gaurdsman

adj511986 said:

hey all.

iam new too DH

any advice on playstyle/and talents i should take asap, i want too become a space marine iam  rank 4 right now . thanks guys

Assuming you're not trolling: Your character can never become a Space Marine. To play a Space Marine, check out the game Deathwatch, or at least the Daemon Hunters sourcebook for DH, but bear in mind those characters are much more powerful than any DH character (they are considered equivalent to 13k exp DH characters) and playing them along Acolytes does all kinds of funny things to game balance, and is therefore highly inadvisable. 

As guardsman you will be the Hammer. An Assassin might do more damage on a single attack, and a Psyker might pull of some atrociously over-the-top powers that devastate everything, but the Guardsman will remain standing when the others fall to attrition. You will wield the heavy weapons and bring the Emperors righteous wrath to his enemies. You will operate his vehicles and war machines.

A Guardsman is very versatile: He can be a melee monster and wield an impressive array of different weapons. His cheap wounds and Toughness can make him hard to kill, especially if you wrap him in carapace armour. Even Guard-flak will help a lot, and it is quite available. Heavy stubbers are available early, and are excellent suppressive weapons. 

Without knowing more about your character concept I can only offer general advice for a Guardsman:

Weapon Skill, Ballistic Skill, Strength, Toughness, Wounds (Sound Constitution) are the bread-and-butter for most Guardsman concepts.  Mix in Agility if you are planning more of a scout or vehicle crewman.   Pick up those nice cheap sexy weapon training talents for whatever sounds like it suits your character's style:  You may not have one right now but you never know when you might get the chance to play with the nice toys!   Round things off with some suitable skills once in a while and pick up any talents that demand your attention.

Now strap whatever armour your current mission profile allows for onto your beefy hide and pack a reasonable assortment of weapons.  Also of note: Dive for cover and supressive fire are both good ideas if things get ugly!  Alternately, sneak into position, take careful aim with a sniper/hunting rifle and then end someone's heretical deeds with a single shot!  You are tough, but you are NOT immortal...

Guardsman can be a very fun class, I've had a lot of fun with the guardsman played in my group.
Though you can't become a space marine it does not mean you can't resemble one.

Go for high strength and toughness.
Balance your WS and BS so that they are both equally high.
For a melee weapon go for a Chainsword (nice damage and not too expensive)
For a ranged weapon, try to get permission from your GM for the Lasgun in Black Crusade and perhaps a Boltgun later in the game.

Oh yeah, don't forget the religious zealoutry

Santiago said:

Guardsman can be a very fun class, I've had a lot of fun with the guardsman played in my group.
Though you can't become a space marine it does not mean you can't resemble one.

Go for high strength and toughness.
Balance your WS and BS so that they are both equally high.
For a melee weapon go for a Chainsword (nice damage and not too expensive)
For a ranged weapon, try to get permission from your GM for the Lasgun in Black Crusade and perhaps a Boltgun later in the game.

Oh yeah, don't forget the religious zealoutry

If they are starting from rank 1 then he probably needs to go with a basic sword or axe (mono if he can afford the upgrade!) or possibly a greatweapon.  A good trusty Mk 3 Lasgun or possibly a combat shotgun or Longlas covers your longarm.  I tinker with character's starting kit a bit depending on their origins and backstory.  For example, in my game way back at the beginning there were two very different Guardsman characters.  One was a young Cadian officer, highborn and raised to lead Guardsmen from the front.  The other was a PDF trooper from Ganf Magna, a frontier world with a feral Ork problem.  The Cadian started off with modified IG armour (replace the chest with light carapace), Kantrael pattern Lasgun, mono-bayonet, Kantrael pattern Laspistol, best-quality mono-sword w. family crest (heirloom item, not standard issue!) and the usual stack of trooper-kit.   The PDF trooper had standard issue IG Flak, combat shotgun (Orks respect things that go "boom!" more), great-hammer, laspistol and the usual stack of trooper-kit.   Of note: The PDF trooper was a product of the Schola Progenium and his great-hammer was a faith-inspired choice.

Upgrading to a chainsword or chainaxe when you get a chance is probably not a bad idea though.  Note that Heavy Weapon (SP) becomes available to Guardsmen at rank 2, so suddenly heavy stubbers and autocannon are entertaining options for the "unsubtle" missions.

thanks guys currently i am a boss with the boom stick, i have the standard full guard flak , side arms are a stub revolver and a autopistol i also have a axe if i ever run out of ammo, also does anyone know i am able too buy a skill that doesnt show up on my progression im wanting trade armorer.

thanks again

If you plan to play on with ascension later on, I'd check out what you want to play later on.

Most ascended careers open to the guardsman either only fit specific styles or simply suck.

• For Hieropahnt you need to be the pious type (and talk to the cleric in the party)
  • For Vindicare better be the shooty type (and talk to the assassin in the party)
  • For Interrogator or Inquisitor you need to be a social type
  • Cant say much about the Crusader
  • Stormtrooper sucks imo

In my opinion the guardsman is one of the coolest careers before you go ascension and the worst after.

once we go ascension i am going too hopefully become a inquisitor hopefully i live past the next session we accidently killed a ganglord in his bar where we had too check in are big guns so we are looking at possibly 25-30 baddies (12 for sure) with only are pistols and a few frags we hid so this will be fun. o and we are at 1500 xp lol  may the god emperor guide my hand

-Nicodemus (Alan)

adj511986 said:

once we go ascension i am going too hopefully become a inquisitor hopefully i live past the next session we accidently killed a ganglord in his bar where we had too check in are big guns so we are looking at possibly 25-30 baddies (12 for sure) with only are pistols and a few frags we hid so this will be fun. o and we are at 1500 xp lol  may the god emperor guide my hand

-Nicodemus (Alan)

Hey don't forget the bar itself will provide weapons: bottles of flammable alcohol, bottles, flatware, and silverware as weapons/distractions, bar furniture as weapons or cover, and if you are good - Baddies make a nice human shield if you can grab one.

Angel of Death said:

adj511986 said:

-Nicodemus (Alan)

Hey don't forget the bar itself will provide weapons: bottles of flammable alcohol, bottles, flatware, and silverware as weapons/distractions, bar furniture as weapons or cover, and if you are good - Baddies make a nice human shield if you can grab one.

Its all fun and games until someone uses the hand flamer in a bar. :) My Sororitas always carries a hand flamer. Its always handy (no pun intended).

I've been playing my guardsman for a long time now from rank 1 to 11 (Crusader).  

Going the assault route with the guardsman is a very good option, since you can then deal with things that get in the character's face very reliably.  The characters that specialized in using ranged weapons tend to be worse off in close combat than the other way around.  A Flamer, power sword, and autopistol (for suppressing fire) is all that is needed to deal with most situations for my guardsman/crusader.

The ability to take hits that would kill other characters, like it's no big deal, is what the guardsman is all about.

I would actually recommend to take the scout path. This way you make the already versatile guardsman even more versatile. The guardsman´s strength is the ability to deal with any combat situation. Shootout, no problem just get the heavy weapons out. Close combat is just as easy just get the chainsword or bayonet out. Really heavy and chaotic combat means explosives and endurance.

The guardsman in our group may not be the most efficient at any nische but I have yet to see an enemy that she cannot defeat with her arsenal of different weapons and tactics. Now that she has started down scout the is **** hard to pin down since she sneaks around and plays hit and run.

Catachan said:

The ability to take hits that would kill other characters, like it's no big deal, is what the guardsman is all about.

let's say he should be.
But the Vindicare is better at it once he gets unnatural toughness.

And before the calls for power armor start: If the guardsman goes stormtrooper wearing PA denies him of half of is primary ascension trait. 
Which is one of the main reasons I don't like the stormtrooper ascended career.
With no unnatural traits and a ascended trait that becomes useless with better equipment he's too weak.

Sorry, but i rather run around as a Stormtrooper in full Carapace and loose 1-2 points of Armor against my enemies than give them that pesky +10 in all WS and BS tests to hit me. One problem that is overlooked: We are in an RPG, in 'real' 40k said Stormtrooper would operate in squads of 5-10 men/women. Wheras the use of an Officio Assassinorum agent requires the approval of the Terran Senate. ... Sorry, but in my RP group the Vindicare is a guest star at best, not a permanent member.

Update!

We lived lol it was in my 10+ years of gameing the greastest battle i have ever been apart of  frags,shotgun blast smoke gernades lasguns bolt pistols and hellguns o my  and now my gaurdsman has a hellpistol and a new boomstick with a frag launcher attachment. epic game looking forward too the next session

-Nicodemus (Alan)

Update!

We lived lol it was in my 10+ years of gameing the greastest battle i have ever been apart of  frags,shotgun blast smoke gernades lasguns bolt pistols and hellguns o my  and now my gaurdsman has a hellpistol and a new boomstick with a frag launcher attachment. epic game looking forward too the next session

-Nicodemus (Alan)