Sign in to follow this  
csabesz

Book of Judgement - in stores

Luthor Harkon said:

Well, in my opinion it depends on when you enter the Schola Progenium. That all Arbitrators (and Commissars btw) are from a Schola Progenium has been always rather clear backgroundwise in my opinion. Regarding the homeworld origin, it depends on when you entered the Schola Progenium (sooner or later). My groups Arbitrator has an Imperial World background as he originally came from an Agri World and was dumped at a Schola Progenium because his father was killed when he was 11 years old. Some are more or less brought after birth to a Schola Progenium (Kindergarten Progenium...?) and those should have the Schola Progenium homeworld origin instead, as they have never seen anything else in their life.

I strongly disagree with you regarding this point. I do not think the game mechanics (regarding the background) make a different if you were "dumped" as an 11year old or as an infant. Take the "Sororitas"-Career, for example. Any background is excluded but "Monastic" and "Progenia" to reflect the established fluff. In my opinion, FFG was just inconsequent in the case of the Arbitrators, not applying the same measure.

I think there's a distinction that you're missing. The Arbitrator Career in DH doesn't just represent the Adeptus Arbites (which is what the fluff is talking about, I believe. And seemingly contradicted by the novel trilogy.. of course, novels...). Anyway, it also represents a planet's local enforcers, whatever form they may take, or even independant bounty hunters.

Of course, noone at FFG or GW are going to hunt you down and destroy your books, if you want to play a character who was an Arbitrator and is from some other homeworld.

Gregorius21778 said:

Luthor Harkon said:

Well, in my opinion it depends on when you enter the Schola Progenium. That all Arbitrators (and Commissars btw) are from a Schola Progenium has been always rather clear backgroundwise in my opinion. Regarding the homeworld origin, it depends on when you entered the Schola Progenium (sooner or later). My groups Arbitrator has an Imperial World background as he originally came from an Agri World and was dumped at a Schola Progenium because his father was killed when he was 11 years old. Some are more or less brought after birth to a Schola Progenium (Kindergarten Progenium...?) and those should have the Schola Progenium homeworld origin instead, as they have never seen anything else in their life.

I strongly disagree with you regarding this point. I do not think the game mechanics (regarding the background) make a different if you were "dumped" as an 11year old or as an infant. Take the "Sororitas"-Career, for example. Any background is excluded but "Monastic" and "Progenia" to reflect the established fluff. In my opinion, FFG was just inconsequent in the case of the Arbitrators, not applying the same measure.

The game mechanics make no difference indeed, they do not even mention it after all. It is just my personal interpretation, that someone coming as an infant to a Schola Progenium is more shaped and characterized by the Schola Progenium (and thus fitting to the Schola Progenium "homeworld") than an 11year old, who is probably more shaped and chracterized by having lived the first 11 years of his life in the mid-hive of Sibellus (in case of Hive born) or the bowels of the Miserichord (in case of Void born). Especially in the latter case it is also some sort of genetical "background" that characterizes the person. No Schola Progenium education could get rid of the character's pale teint or the other more "genetical" traits.

Is it me or does the section on Investigation Skill Tests make no sense compared to the rules in the main book? Here, the books seems to say that, if you make an investigation skill test you roll d10 + skill's relevant chaacteristic bonus and that's the time it takes. That can't be right surely? In the main book, that roll reduces the listed time instead: simple and intuitive.

signoftheserpent said:

Is it me or does the section on Investigation Skill Tests make no sense compared to the rules in the main book? Here, the books seems to say that, if you make an investigation skill test you roll d10 + skill's relevant chaacteristic bonus and that's the time it takes. That can't be right surely? In the main book, that roll reduces the listed time instead: simple and intuitive.

Hi serpent. You got it a little wrong. An example:

The pc try to find out where a "missing suspect" is. The GM decides that the base time is 72 hours and secretly decides that after 24h the suspect will have upped his arment quiet a bit.

The pc make their first test and achieve two level of success. They first role a 1d10+4 (4=the ATT-Bonus) and get a 11 in total. So, they successfully spend 11 productive hours on the case.. The two levels of success mean that the base time is reduce. For this, they role 2d10+8 (1d10+4 for each level), getting 4, 8 and the plus 8 totalling 20. So, they know need 52hours (72 -20) and they already have 11 of this covered. The next test is just one level of success. The first role ("time covered") nets them a flat 10 (so they already achieve 21 hours in total) and the reduction this time is a meager 8 (reducing the base time to 44 hours). And so it goes on.

The fact that the "time covered" is roled puzzles me as well.. but all of these time & investigation rules never made much sense to me to begin with happy.gif