Sign in to follow this  
player782126

What expansion to buy

Right now there are four expansions available:

- Hunt for Gollum

- Conflict at the Carrock

- A Journey to Rhosgobel

- The Hills of Emyn Muil

The question is: What are you looking for? Are you looking for a particular quest? Maybe a challenging one? Or a quest with a certain theme?

Or are you looking for additional player cards for more deck building options?

You can have a look at the player cards and the encounter sets of the various packs www.cardgamedb.com/index.php/lotr/lord-of-the-rings-deckbuilder (a great site!!!)

Maybe if you tell us what you're looking for, we can give you some advice!

The Hunt and The Hills are the easier of the two scenarios if you are looking to ease into the playing mechanics of the game.

Untergeher's advice about checking the player cards is solid. Personally I really liked the player cards in The Hills myself if you are only going to get one. You might also purchase based upon the hero you like the most out of the four available. I have gotten the most use out of Prince Imrahil (Journey to Rhosgobel), but then this is also the hardest scenario.

It just so happens that I wrote some pretty thorough, informative reviews for all of the Adventure Packs Untergeher so kindly listed! lengua.gif

In the order of my recommending them, I would probably suggest picking up:

- A Journey to Rhosgobel http://tinyurl.com/3pbyy5y

- Conflict at the Carrock javascript:void(0);/*1319183992404*/

- The Hunt for Gollum javascript:void(0);/*1319184013205*/

- The Hills of Emyn Muil javascript:void(0);/*1319184040653*/

You should also consider picking up the Print on Demand expansion "The Massing at Osgiliath," but do keep that while it is a hell of a lot of fun, it is ONLY an encounter deck (meaning no heroes or player cards), and is by far the most difficult scenario available.

Yeah, the mentioned reviews are not only thorough and informative, they are also a very good read! And they can definitely help you make a decision.

Flavo(u)rwise I think I like "A Journey to Rhosgobel" best so far. The "Conflict at the Carrock" has some pretty sweet moments, especially the first few times you play through it, but I kinda played it to death, because it became to predictable after a while. I sometimes go back "Hunt(ing) for Gollum", because of its many ways to mess you up. The Hunt can go very smoothly, but there are also some brutal card combinations in the deck to look out for! I haven't had time to quest through the Hills, but I haven't head much praise regarding this quest...

When it comes to the included heroes, here's my personal ranking from best to worst:

- Frodo (Carrock)

- Brand (Hills)

- Imrahil (Rhosgobel)

- Bilbo (Hunt)

Killerofall said:

Looking at buying the game with expansions. Which ones should I purchase? Thanks in advance. 

All of them. Pure and simple.

They all offer new cards and new quests, and in theory are to be played through in order, so if you want to go with pure flavour, but them in the order they were released.

Lightdarker said:

It just so happens that I wrote some pretty thorough, informative reviews for all of the Adventure Packs Untergeher so kindly listed! lengua.gif

In the order of my recommending them, I would probably suggest picking up:

- A Journey to Rhosgobel http://tinyurl.com/3pbyy5y

- Conflict at the Carrock javascript:void(0);/*1319183992404*/

- The Hunt for Gollum javascript:void(0);/*1319184013205*/

- The Hills of Emyn Muil javascript:void(0);/*1319184040653*/

You should also consider picking up the Print on Demand expansion "The Massing at Osgiliath," but do keep that while it is a hell of a lot of fun, it is ONLY an encounter deck (meaning no heroes or player cards), and is by far the most difficult scenario available.

These are quite good.  How can FFG create a sticky sub-forum containing just these and your future reviews?  I would suggest that other players comments not be allowed to be added.