Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
HilariousPete

New plug-in for creating homebrew cards

100 posts in this topic

Many thanks to HilariousPete for providing us with such a magnifient tool!

I am using the plug-in on my Mac and have a problem: The bold and italic text commands (html) are not working on the card text, alignment and size do work though. Any idea how to fix that?

Thanks!

I'm sorry, but I fear I can't help you. I don't have a Mac myself. But you can try to create some Arkham Horror game components (e.g. an investigator) and see if bold / italic formatting is working there. If not, you could try to contact Chris Jennings (developer of Strange Eons). If yes, then the problem lies in my code, but chances that I can find it out are small…

Hi Pete,

I opened/created  couple of CoC-LCG cards and the bold/italic commands do work, the text changes on the fly as I typed in the commands. Afterwards I openend several different LotR-cards (your card examples) and bold/italic was not working. I understand you cant solve this problem as you are not using a Mac.

Sorry, I meant Arkham Horror not CoC LCG. I dont play any of the two so I assumed the cards are for CoC LCG (FFG uses the same artwork anyway).

(The Arkham card tool is incuded in Strange Eons by default)

Any news when treasure cards are coming to the card templates?

Itching to make some connected adventures with treasure cards ;-)

(Robbing the Palantirs, Seeking ancient weapons from Moria, Seaking weapons agains undead from Barrow downs etc…)

I plan to do this. But not before The Hobbit expansion is available in my country (perhaps/I hope it is available next week) and definitely not before GeckoTH will have published his superb Photoshop template an treasures. I'm totally dependent on him now ;-)

What do people recommend as the best way of exporting cards once they've been made?

I don't have any zipping-unzipping software. I can print them on my own computer, but not sure how best to share the custom quest I've made with others…

Once I've created all the cards in Strange Eons I then use it to create a Deck of Cards (File->New …. Decks and Expansions …. Deck of Cards)

I then import each of the cards and lay them out (fronts on one page, backs on another) and then save (usually as <questname>.eon) then export them (File Export …. Custom Settings … JPEG/lossless/300dpi).

This will create a zip file containing the jpeg files in a format suitable for sharing.

You may also be able to download open source zip file programs for your system.

Hi, first let me tell you, that I enjoy using this plugin. But I ran into a little Problem, because I use Strange Eons for Arkham Horror too. It seems the tool does not like to have 2 card types with the same name (there are ally cards in both games). Whenever I create an ally for Arkham Horror, the portrait has its most left boundary chaged to almost the center of the card, so the portrait is only visible on the right side. If I try to nudge the picture, it does move, but it is still only visible on the right side of the card. The pixels just "vanish" once they hit this border in the middle of the card. Is there a workaround for this problem?

@Hannibal_pjv: Yep, that's right, I'm working on it :-)

@Ranwyr: Thanks for telling me about this bug! I have eleminated it in the next version. You were right with the assumption that the reason lies in identical naming (ally). If you want to design an AH ally in the meantime, as a workaround you can uninstall the LotR plug-in, then the problem should disappear. Please inform me if this doesn't work for you. In that case I could also send you a preliminary version just without the bug.

I checked the font file, and only that one is missing (for Spanish).

I'd like to help translating the plug-in to Spanish. I think transaling the files within /resources/lotr/text is most of the translation done. Any other file to take care of?

That would be great!

The text subfolder includes all language-specific texts. Of course it doesn't include the new texts for treasure cards. I'll send you a PM so we can perhaps exchange email adresses and I can send you a file including the new texts

Hi all,

the new version of the plug-in is getting more and more complete… Does anyone have a Spanish version of the Silmarilion and LotR at hand? There are some quotes for the card templates that we'd like to cite from the Spanish books.
Here are the (English) quotations:

It seemed to him that far away there came a light in the eastern sky: it flashed and faded many times. -The Fellowship of the Ring (Chapter 11, Knife in the Dark, Book 1 of the Fellowship)

"At first we were weary and danger was too close behind and afterwards we almost forgot our grief for a time, as we walked in gladness on the fair paths of Lórien." -Legolas, The Fellowship of the Ring (Chapter 7, Mirror of Galadriel, Book 2 of the Fellowship)

"But death in battle may come to us all yet, willing or unwilling." -Faramir, The Return of the King (Chapter 5, Book 2 of Return of the King)

And in that time also … the Enchanted Isles were set, and all the seas about them were filled with shadows and bewilderment. -The Silmarillion (Chapter 11, Sun+Moon+Hiding of Valinor)

He took his harp and sang a song of Valinor… Thus Fingon found what he sought. -The Silmarillion (Chapter 13, Return of the Noldor)

HilariousPete said:

Hi all,

the new version of the plug-in is getting more and more complete… Does anyone have a Spanish version of the Silmarilion and LotR at hand? There are some quotes for the card templates that we'd like to cite from the Spanish books.

It seemed to him that far away there came a light in the eastern sky: it flashed and faded many times. -The Fellowship of the Ring (Chapter 11, Knife in the Dark, Book 1 of the Fellowship)

"At first we were weary and danger was too close behind and afterwards we almost forgot our grief for a time, as we walked in gladness on the fair paths of Lórien." -Legolas, The Fellowship of the Ring (Chapter 7, Mirror of Galadriel, Book 2 of the Fellowship)

"But death in battle may come to us all yet, willing or unwilling." -Faramir, The Return of the King (Chapter 5, Book 2 of Return of the King)

And in that time also … the Enchanted Isles were set, and all the seas about them were filled with shadows and bewilderment. -The Silmarillion (Chapter 11, Sun+Moon+Hiding of Valinor)

He took his harp and sang a song of Valinor… Thus Fingon found what he sought. -The Silmarillion (Chapter 13, Return of the Noldor)

I don't have a Spanish edition Silmarillion… yet. But I do have my Spanish lotr ao I'll quicly post the translated quotes for that one:

1st one: "Creyó ver que en el cielo oriental, muy lejos, aparecía una luz; brillaba y se apagaba, una y otra vez."

2nd: "Al principio nos sentíamos cansados y el peligro estaba aún demasiado cerca; y luego csi olvidamos nuestra pena durante un tiempo, mientras veníamos felices por los hermosos senderos de Lórien" 

3rd: "Pero la muerte en la batalla aún puede alcanzarnos a todos, la deseemos o no."

HilariousPete said:

Hi all,

I don't have a Spanish edition Silmarillion… yet. But I do have my Spanish lotr ao I'll quicly post the translated quotes for that one:

1st one: "Creyó ver que en el cielo oriental, muy lejos, aparecía una luz; brillaba y se apagaba, una y otra vez."

2nd: "Al principio nos sentíamos cansados y el peligro estaba aún demasiado cerca; y luego casi olvidamos nuestra pena durante un tiempo, mientras veníamos felices por los hermosos senderos de Lórien" 

3rd: "Pero la muerte en la batalla aún puede alcanzarnos a todos, la deseemos o no."

Edit: hmm, for some reason when I edited my last comment it posted it again… Anyway, this is the correct one.