Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
HilariousPete

New plug-in for creating homebrew cards

100 posts in this topic

.o/ Very snazzy stuff. 

Quick question, I may be just dumb an missed it, how do I add stat icons into the text of the card. :/ ie: "+1 (shield)" for defence.

Bungo_Underhill said:

Will this run on a MAC?

Strange Eons is Java. It runs on Linux, and I assume it runs on Mac too.

@Xealous:

It's accessible via typing    <ds>      An overview of all replacement tags is in the lower left of the Strange Eons window (when you create an event card and go to the "Event" tab).

There's another way, with which you can define the size of the icon. Click into the textbox in whose text you want the icon to appear. Go to Toolbox -> Image Resource Browser. (If the Image Resource Browser is not there, you've got to download it: Toolbox -> Catalogue -> Select teh browser and download and install it). Then go to the Lotr/templates folder and search for "DefenseStrength.png". You can bareley see the preview because it's black on black. Then click on "Insert mark-up" and close the browser. You'll see that this text will have been added:

<image "res://LotR/templates/DefenseStrength.png">

Change it to

<image "res://LotR/templates/DefenseStrength.png" 2 0.5>

The first number is for width, the second for height.

@Bungo_Underhill & Zeb:

Right, as far as I know SE and the plugins are Java/JavaScript. So there's a good chance that it will run on MAC. Since I don't have a MAC, I cannot guarantee it (or help you in case it doesn't work sad.gif). But it's sure worth a try.

I think I found a little bug in the plugin. (While browsing over this thread, I haven't seen it already posted - sorry if it was already mentioned)

When you create an Event Card and change the sphere to neutral the little circle containing the sphere icon doesn't vanish as it should.

(And a little cosmetical error: If you create a hero-card, the displayed custom-card is Galadriel. She has the traits Noble and Silvan. That's wrong, Galadriel is a Noldor.)

I hope this helps,

cheers!

D1502

Hey there,

I only recently found about the existence of this plug-in and thought I'd offer the following:

1. There is a new version of Strange Eons inching closer to completion that will provide better support for games other than Arkham Horror (in fact, AH will become an optional plug-in just like any other game). Although many plug-ins that add support for new games will continue to work (when a "compatibility mode" is set), a little extra work is needed to take advantage of the most powerful new features. In any case, most plug-ins need only minor changes. Get in touch with me and I'll help you make the transition.

This version will make the larger Strange Eons API available to plug-in developers for the first time, as opposed to just the script libraries. I expect to see people doing some pretty amazing things, since I'm already amazed by what people do with the much smaller palette currently available to them.

2. You are welcome to include the plug-in in the plug-in catalogue if you want to. Let me know.

Cheers,
Chris

I've had a little play with the tool and found it really easy to use, great work.

Once I've finished my first new quest I'll be sharing it with the community....

Doom1502 said:

I think I found a little bug in the plugin. (While browsing over this thread, I haven't seen it already posted - sorry if it was already mentioned)

When you create an Event Card and change the sphere to neutral the little circle containing the sphere icon doesn't vanish as it should.

(And a little cosmetical error: If you create a hero-card, the displayed custom-card is Galadriel. She has the traits Noble and Silvan. That's wrong, Galadriel is a Noldor.)

I hope this helps,

cheers!

D1502

Thanks! I'm always looking for such errors/mistakes. The resource circle of neutral events will be eliminated in the next update (or are you currently working on a neutral event card? I could release the next version of the plugin earlier, if you need it).

And Galadriel will also be Noldor, then ;-)

Thelric said:

Hey there,

I only recently found about the existence of this plug-in and thought I'd offer the following:

1. There is a new version of Strange Eons inching closer to completion that will provide better support for games other than Arkham Horror (in fact, AH will become an optional plug-in just like any other game). Although many plug-ins that add support for new games will continue to work (when a "compatibility mode" is set), a little extra work is needed to take advantage of the most powerful new features. In any case, most plug-ins need only minor changes. Get in touch with me and I'll help you make the transition.

This version will make the larger Strange Eons API available to plug-in developers for the first time, as opposed to just the script libraries. I expect to see people doing some pretty amazing things, since I'm already amazed by what people do with the much smaller palette currently available to them.

2. You are welcome to include the plug-in in the plug-in catalogue if you want to. Let me know.

Cheers,
Chris

Yes, I'd like to adapt the plug-in to the upcoming API changes and any help is appreciated, and the plug-in catalogue sounds also like a good thing! I'm getting in contact with you via your website's formular

Greetings,

Pete

Memetix said:

I've had a little play with the tool and found it really easy to use, great work.

Once I've finished my first new quest I'll be sharing it with the community....

You're welcome! Great to hear that you're working on new custom cards :-)

Pete, thanks for making this great plug-in.  By and large, it works terrifically well.  Just one major issue, though, that the unique symbol doesn't seem to export for some reason.  I also find some of the default text sizes to be a little off... for example, the Trait field (e.g., Item. Dwarf. Artifact., etc.) seems like it should be size 7 instead of 7.5, and the flavor text should be size 5.  But that can all be adjusted personally, whereas the unique symbol export issue is definitely a bug that you would need to look into.

And many thanks again to Chris for the mighty Strange Eons!

Grudunza said:

Pete, thanks for making this great plug-in.  By and large, it works terrifically well.  Just one major issue, though, that the unique symbol doesn't seem to export for some reason.  I also find some of the default text sizes to be a little off... for example, the Trait field (e.g., Item. Dwarf. Artifact., etc.) seems like it should be size 7 instead of 7.5, and the flavor text should be size 5.  But that can all be adjusted personally, whereas the unique symbol export issue is definitely a bug that you would need to look into.

And many thanks again to Chris for the mighty Strange Eons!

You're welcome! Thanks for posting these issues. I work on them. I'm pretty busy right now and I also found another bug which I want to eliminate in the next version, so it could take some time until everything is finished. Meanwhile there's a workaround for the bug about the unique symbol in the title: Don't use <uq>, but <image "res://LotR/templates/Unique.png" 0.26>. Does this work for you? This would also offer the opportunity to change the size of the unique symbol (0.26).

Greetings,

Pete

Hello,

I find this software is amazing and I introduced it on the french non-official forum, it has some fans already !!

Two of the (many) questions :
- How may I translate it to french (menu/interface)
- How may we modify the card type (french for "Hero" is "Héros", "Location" is "Lieu", ...)

Thanks again and let me know how I can make the translation (and complete the icon too maybe) !!

Shiv@n said:

Hello,

I find this software is amazing and I introduced it on the french non-official forum, it has some fans already !!

Two of the (many) questions :
- How may I translate it to french (menu/interface)
- How may we modify the card type (french for "Hero" is "Héros", "Location" is "Lieu", ...)

Thanks again and let me know how I can make the translation (and complete the icon too maybe) !!

Great that you're spreading the software, and also that you want to translate it! The plug-in is adaptable for different languages, so any help for e.g. a French version would be appreciated :-)

Actually, the card types are translatable strings, too. So that shouldn't be a problem. More problematic could be special characters like with accent cédille. I send you a PM with more informations!

Greetings,

Pete

A new version of the LotR LCG Custom Card Creation plug-in is there, v 2.2! Changes from the last version are some bug fixes (most notably, the <uq> tag is now working in the card title), new Encounter set icons up to Khazad-Dum, and the Encounter set card numbering under the Encounter set icon, and support for French. The plug-in is available at 4shared or at Svenn’s resource page.

Many thanks go to (in no order):

• Shiv@n and the French community for translating and beta-testing
  • Svenn for providing a better download place then 4shared
  • Grudunza and Doom1502 for bug reporting
  • GeckoTH for his superb templates. They are accessible on BGG e.g. here and are really usefull if you want to do some new stuff like dual-sphered cards or color transition of a font.
  • Chris Jennings for providing and supporting Strange Eons
  • I hope I didn’t forget anyone ;-)

Greetings,

Pete

Hi,

thank you very much for this plugin, I love it, I'm more in the mood for creating cards than playing with them... (partly due to my brother buying the game and he is the tolkien fan, not me... don't hit me please) 

However, I made some cards and my laptop crashes. No worries, every data is fine... Still, I can't re-open the cards I made because of a java error.

I had this error on my previous laptop when I installed the french patch... (thank you for that too) so it's not because I was on xp and now on seven.

It's more likely due to me inserting color tag in the hit point and threat cost (I found the blue and red too shiny, example : <color #444444>7</color>) and it seems to works fine until you re-install strange eons.

Uncaught java.lang.IllegalArgumentException: setSelectedIndex: 5 out of bounds
setSelectedIndex: 5 out of bounds
at res://LotR/lib.js:139
at LotR/hero.js:48

Uncaught java.lang.IllegalArgumentException: setSelectedIndex: 5 out of bounds
setSelectedIndex: 5 out of bounds
at res://LotR/lib.js:139
at LotR/hero.js:48

As a result, the "Hero" tab is not visible and so I can't edit any stats llorando.gif

Hannibal_pjv said:

I have not found how to chance the cost of the card... Any advice?

Perhaps the text field for the cost is hidden because the left side of the screen is too small? It looks like this on my machine:

you should see a pic here...

Thanks! There was colour codes in the same slot ad I didn't look carefullu enough, that there were the cost number in the same slot.

One new question. Is it possible to somehow import new template to Strange Enouns? And if it is, how and in what format. I wan't to try new card type that don't have ready template allready.

Hannibal_pjv said:

Thanks! There was colour codes in the same slot ad I didn't look carefullu enough, that there were the cost number in the same slot.

One new question. Is it possible to somehow import new template to Strange Enouns? And if it is, how and in what format. I wan't to try new card type that don't have ready template allready.

It's possible, but it's not easy. At least to my knowledge. When I created the plug-in, I had to create a new card type for the enemy cards, for the location cards, for the quest cards and so on... You'll need to do the same for your new card type. You'll need some pogramming capability (JavaScript), a template picture file, and some basic knowledge of SE and its interface to plug-ins. You can start by taking my LotR plug-in and only adding a new card type, that'd be easier than creating all new from scratch. SE is documented well in general, there are examples on how to create a new card type / extension and so on e.g. here and here.

I don't know how many cards you plan to create, but as a rule of thumb, you'll only profit from creating your own card type if you plan on creating a lot of cards of that type. Don't try to create a new card type for SE if you only want to make 4 cards or something, you're better off just designing them in Photoshop or Gimp...

If you have any questions, or need some help / info about plug-ins in SE, don't hesitate to ask me!

Greetings,

Pete

Hannibal_pjv said:

If you go to BGG you can find the original Photoshop PSD files that Pete used for the SE plugins. You will need Photoshop or a app that can open PSD files.. I think there is a open source app called GIMP that can do this.

Anyway.,. this might be your best bet, as it is a fully editable PSD file,

7775589.png

Hello everyone, there's a new version of the plug-in out, v 2.3!

Next to some bug fixes (thanks to alogos!), there is another new feature: card dividers! If your collection is growing like mine, they can help you keep your cards sorted. Here is a picture of an example:

generaly.jpg

You can change the background in the Portrait tab, if you like:

otherbackground.jpg

Many thanks to Shiv@n, who came up with the idea and also created template pics for me!

Two notes though: First, I haven't included all the encounter set lists for each quest, MaO is the only quest with a card list, and I also haven't included the titles for each quest. It is just too much work to create or maintain the lists in at least 3 languages… Shiv@n is working on some French dividers, though! Second, you'll notice that when you change the divider type from the default (Encounter) to something else (e.g. Lore), the title texts are changed; but when you go back (to Encounter again), it doesn't change back. This is because I wanted to save the user from typing "Lore", when he already has selected the Lore divider; but at the same time, I only want to overwrite the title if it is the very first default title of the encounter divider.

You can download it from 4shared here: http://www.4shared.com/file/_VH6sOk6/LotR.html