Sign in to follow this  
Kingsguard

Your favorite haracter in the series and why?

Nitro Pirate said:

Bomb said:

I don't have a favorite haracter, however I do really like Jon Snow thus far.

Hooraaayyy for getting back on topic :-)

Yeah, that actually made me laugh.

Nitro Pirate said:

Bomb said:

I don't have a favorite haracter, however I do really like Jon Snow thus far.

Hooraaayyy for getting back on topic :-)

Screw that noise! Knights are all evil! Honor sucks! Ned's death was an inside job!

Seriously though, I'd like to give a nod to two minor characters I doubt anyone will bring up: Irri and Jhiqui. There're a lot of moments in Dance that I loved, but one small moment that really stands out for me is during the gladiatorial thing in Meereen, when Irri and Jhiqui are arguing over one of the fighters. One of them (I admit I can't really keep them separate in my mind) states "So-and-so will win. It is known." and the other snaps "It is NOT known!"

Beautiful payoff for years of It is known, it is known.

alpha5099 said:

Seriously though, I'd like to give a nod to two minor characters I doubt anyone will bring up: Irri and Jhiqui. There're a lot of moments in Dance that I loved, but one small moment that really stands out for me is during the gladiatorial thing in Meereen, when Irri and Jhiqui are arguing over one of the fighters. One of them (I admit I can't really keep them separate in my mind) states "So-and-so will win. It is known." and the other snaps "It is NOT known!"

Minor Character wise i was a big fan of Osbert Serry,  i dunno i thought it was pretty bad ass how he fought Victarion, even if he did die.

Also Morroquo  but he probably won't be minor too much longer

alpha5099 said:

+1...  I think this is one of those scenes where you can tell GRRM hasn't written for TV.

And while I'm not sure about it, I think I still have to go with Littlefinger and Bran as my two favorite, if dichotomous, characters.  If Bran goes the way of the "3-Eyed Crow" he'll be a little less notionally heroic as people imagined, but still alive... and I can't decide if George will go all Grecian on Petyr and kill him for his pride, or let him live and rule as a power behind the throne just to spite people.  He's like a poison that people willingly drink... or they end up in a position where they have no choice.

Also, I've loved the whole knighthood discussion, morality versus ethics, and "what is honor worth?" discussion.  I'm in an ethics class this semester and I feel like I could cite this forum for a later paper.

Whil we're still naming favorite characters I'll throw out a second. He may not be the best military mind in the story. Not the most patient or renowned but after reading a certain paragraph from Clash of Kings, I couldn't help but number him as one of my favorites.

"Who are these folk?

"My people," Edmure answered. "They were afraid." only my sweet brother would crowd al these useless mouths into a castle that might soon be under siege. Catelyn knew that Edmure had a soft heart; sometimes she thought his head was even softer. She loved him for it, yet still...

Edmure Tully. He seems like an all around good guy. But by no means perfect. That and the story of why he hates singers was pretty funny.

My favorite two characters in the Song of Ice and Fire world are Dunk and Egg (Yes I like them more than any in the main series).

In the main series my favorites are supporting characters. Oberyn Martell would be No.1. Barristan Selmy would be no.2. And after Dance with Dragons Melisandre would be tied for no.3 along with Varys.

LaughingTree said:

My favorite two characters in the Song of Ice and Fire world are Dunk and Egg (Yes I like them more than any in the main series).

In the main series my favorites are supporting characters. Oberyn Martell would be No.1. Barristan Selmy would be no.2. And after Dance with Dragons Melisandre would be tied for no.3 along with Varys.

You're the first to name Melisandre. Why did you pick her?

Kingsguard said:

LaughingTree said:

You're the first to name Melisandre. Why did you pick her?

Mostly because her PoV chapter in Dance with Dragons was my favorite chapter of the new book besides the Bran one where he learns who the 3-Eye Crow really is. Those were my favorite chapters in DwD. Her PoV showed Mel to be less the Overpowered Sorceress archetype that many on westeros.org believed she was for a long time. She was more human and a more intricate character than I believed most people thought she was. She was also shown to be quite fallible which makes her more interesting. I never really got too much into the whole Stannis-Davos dynamic but a more human, fallible Mel makes me want to go back and re-read those chapters more carefully.

I might add that now that we know who the 3-Eyed Crow is, he is probably my favorite supporting character through the novellas+main series.

My favourite character is Lord Eddard of House Stark, Lord of Winterfell, Warden and Lord Paramount of the North, Hand of the King and Lord Protector of the Realm. My second favourite is Jory Cassel, Captain of his Guard.

Winter is coming.

Mathias Fricot said:

My favourite character is Lord Eddard of House Stark, Lord of Winterfell, Warden and Lord Paramount of the North, Hand of the King and Lord Protector of the Realm. My second favourite is Jory Cassel, Captain of his Guard.

Winter is coming.

My Least Favorite character in the series,  this is why this is such a great series  3 people can read it and have 3 different favorite characters

I have to disagree with the comment that Jaime's transformation was forced. Let's see what happened to him.

1. Taken prisoner for a long time

2. Had his sword hand cut off and watched everyone suddenly view him totally differently.

3. Befriended Brienne.

4. Saw what happened to the Starks and began to feel sorry for them.

5. Found out Cersei was cheating on him.

6. Saw his son die.

7. His father is killed.

I think that list is enough to cause a dramatic change in outlook for a person.

Stasis said:

I have to disagree with the comment that Jaime's transformation was forced. Let's see what happened to him.

2. Had his sword hand cut off and watched everyone suddenly view him totally differently.

3. Befriended Brienne.

6. Saw his son die.

7. His father is killed.

****.  I wish I didn't read this.  :-(  I'm on page 93 of Clash of the Kings.

Bomb said:

Stasis said:

3. Befriended Brienne.

6. Saw his son die.

7. His father is killed.

The General forums should always be taken as SPOILER forums. Too late I know for your read, sorry!

My favorite POV character is: Davos.  I love how he is always true and hoset with his king even when he knows the king doesn;t want to hear the truth.  Also, he never forgets where he came from.

My favorite character without a POV chapter is Varys!  What a true badass!  Always loyal to the realm.

My favorite POV character to READ is Tyrion.  The little fella cracks me up and I'm always pulling for him.

After reading the latest book, I've become fond of Victarion and Jon Connington.

My favorite character who has barely APPEARED in the books: Walder Frey!  I loved his scene with Catelyn in Book 1.  I want to be able to "enjoy" myself when I'm his age!  demonio.gif

Oh yeah, the lamest character in the book: The Ghost of High Heart, only because she inspired some lame champion's card!  LOL  cool.gif

LaughingTree said:

Bomb said:

Stasis said:

3. Befriended Brienne.

6. Saw his son die.

7. His father is killed.

The General forums should always be taken as SPOILER forums. Too late I know for your read, sorry!

Yeah I understand, but I usually avoid any forum topics that may clearly contain them.  Reading about favorite characters I was not expecting to see a run down of many key events in any of the books.

My taste in characters have changed......Tyrion has always been at the top of the list. Catelyn Stark's chapters were freaking annoying...

But my absolute favorite character is Victarion Greyjoy....dude is such a bad a$$....I include him in every greyjoy deck I make no maytter what....The way he has respect for the knight in full armor that he is battling on the ship is awesome... Yeah or how he slits the throat of the Maester.....a very cool dude

We Do Not Sow!!!!