Sign in to follow this  
DrgnScorpion

The Apostasy Gambit

Is anybody else running this adventure group? I have my group on it as a break from hunting down a Herald of Nurgle that is stalking one of the players. I'm enjoying it and my group is about to enter the Titan proper. So my question? Is anybody else having fun with it and liking where it is going?

I'm starting this one one Sunday as a break from hunting down Haarlock, whom they let back into the Calixis Sector. Boy is thier Inquisitor pissed! I'll let you know how it goes.

Well, the acolytes are still alive to play this one after pulling the wool over Silas Marr's (Their new inquisitor's) eyes. So even after beefing up all opponents as mentioned in the module, they pretty much breezed through the first 3rd. The only threat was the gun servitor who I armed with a plasma gun as instructed for ascended characters (They're not even full ascended.). The guardsman got a rightious fury on him and took him out in one swing of his power sword. Gun sevitors have very low initiative, giving it no chance to fire back. I was aware that the first act was supposed to be fairly easy to get through. And, it's mainly to give the characters the clues to go to Baraspine. So the players had alot of fun totally dominating the heretics. Thrungg himself had his head blown clean off by the Assasin and his hyper density rounds. But not before I made the players utterly hate his upper-class taunting. It was a very satisfying kill for all involved...They had a tough time with the "pets" but one more rightious fury made for a quick but furious encounter. The players have just recently discovered the joys of "Tearing quality" weapons as they are increasing the chances of rightious fury.

Also I showed them the picture of the Heamatite Cathedral. They all laughed at the massive cannon sticking out in the middle. But they are completely clueless about it's true nature. I let them keep the thrungg museum pieces as mentioned in the book, and gave them ourageously high values (in the hundreds of millions of thrones...as some of it should be!) as I'm steering them in the direction of restoring the "Black Ship" they managed to salvage in "Shades onTwilight". As they are all looking to get into Rogue Trader down the road...

Yea, my group had the same thing with breezing through the first part of it all. I like where your group is heading and it is very cool. The only difference I had was my group split up in five different directions so I had alot of fun making them go through and meet all the fun people on their own. My crazy Arbitrator talked the planetarium ghost into leaving since he was just as crazy.

Wow! I find it near impossible to split up my players. Unless by force that is...My games are quite sanity blasting Cthulhu-esque affairs. And they're all quite paranoid. I'm looking forward to having the PC's meet all the loony ghosts before they all end up finally taking the "fearless" talent soon. Then all the scares will be moot. sad.gif

Hi. Can anyone explain some weird stuff from Black Sepulchre for me.

The thing is:

Brabus Zanatov brought his crew on Barsapin with him. Among the crew was Hadria (the astropath), Gustavus (Hadria mentioned him in her diary) and most likely Koronath.

For a long time Brabus has been building the Black Sepulchre, then Maledictor has came for him, summon Die-Phage and then where was battle. 

Again, after a long time titan has became a Hematite cathedral and Hadria, Gustavus and Koronath occupied it. 

The question is - how much time could pass for a titan to became buried and where all those guys were during that time?

Ok - I'm on the 2nd Apostasy adventure. The Pcs go to the planet of Stonegarden - St. Drusis' resting place. WHERE IS IT? I like knowing ahead of time where on the Calixis map my PCs are going. I can't find mention of it ANYWHERE. And everyone in the adventure seems to be familiar with it. "Plot a course for Stonegarden!" "Aye aye, sir!" "Jinkies, gang! He's going to Stonegarden!"

Quoi?

Margrave

Addition to my previous question.

DeVayne's evidence has been made several hundreds years ago. In my campaign I set this "several" as 400. And now I reading this Evidence and there is current sector's cardinal Ignato! How could he live for such a long time? Even if it is not 400, it is at least 200. Am I missing something? This chronological issues madding me.

Dictator said:

Addition to my previous question.

DeVayne's evidence has been made several hundreds years ago. In my campaign I set this "several" as 400. And now I reading this Evidence and there is current sector's cardinal Ignato! How could he live for such a long time? Even if it is not 400, it is at least 200. Am I missing something? This chronological issues madding me.

Rejuvenat treatments are one of the many rewards for being a powerful and important figure within the Imperial system.  Many of the higer ranking nobles, clergy, Inquisitors, naval and Imperal Guard officers and the like are several centuries old while only appearing to be "middle aged" or in some cases as decrepit near-mummies.  Take a closer look at Inquisitor Ahmazi's profile in the core book for an example.  Astartes are even more the ever-serving methuselahs:  Lord Commander Dante commanded the Blood Angels chapter for over 1,200 years and that does not count his service prior to becoming Chapter Master!  Granted, it is more typical for Astartes to be many decades to a few centuries into their service, but such things are possible if they can avoid death's certain embrace for a time.

Dictator said:

Hi. Can anyone explain some weird stuff from Black Sepulchre for me.

The thing is:

Brabus Zanatov brought his crew on Barsapin with him. Among the crew was Hadria (the astropath), Gustavus (Hadria mentioned him in her diary) and most likely Koronath.

For a long time Brabus has been building the Black Sepulchre, then Maledictor has came for him, summon Die-Phage and then where was battle. 

Again, after a long time titan has became a Hematite cathedral and Hadria, Gustavus and Koronath occupied it. 

The question is - how much time could pass for a titan to became buried and where all those guys were during that time?

***Incoming Spoilers...obviously***

I found how some of the times in this lined up a little shaky so I adjusted parts of the story especially regarding the Rogue Traders  fake noble house.

-The Pax Macharia went down fighting the Dei-Phage during the Angevin Crusade. It seems perfectly able to manipulate people as it currently is so why not, leave it as truely something epic and it's a lot more reasonable in my mind that after that length of time people have forgotten it.

-While trying to shake the Maledictors Hand the Rogue Trader kept running for quite some time as he had agents begin to set up his fake Noble House. Warp time dilation from travelling helps account for some of the time spent with them arriving on Barsapine a little over a century ago.

-Only the Rogue Trader discovered the nature of the Cathedral they lived in, realizing that the Dei Phage must have subtly manipulated them hear all along hoping to convince them to release it. He hid this secret from the others as they went made knowing he had damned them to corruption and insanity by his actions and they might not be able to resist helping the daemon.

-I'm keeping the actual recording of the meeting hidden in some secret facility as oppossed to smack bang in the middle of Gilded Cathedral as I find it a little odd that he chose to hide it in the middle of the Cathedral and the Maledictors Hand really hasn't thrown more resources into cracking it open.

-I'm probably going to change some of the titan fighting scene so they wont be going off and gaining the Dei Phage's true name since it appears to be of daemon prince/greater daemon power levels and I'm not sure how to handle the players going radical and trying to make something like that their pet... if I did it might be a good point to start wrapping up the game if they pull it off. Still they might keep it as an ace in the hole so...

So those are some of the big changes. I also have a player who is walking around with a sanctioned psyker with a real focus on divination including taking the alternate rank for theomancer and imperial diviner so he's going to be likely picking up the case that used to hold the Zanatov Warrant and going... 'I think I'd like to use dowsing now', a Warrant of Trade is incredibly useful to have especially if they might be able to get an ally put in place as the rightful owner using their own influence... or one of themselves. The group is almost ascension level and they have influence, currently 49 but that'll be jumping at the end of this unless they mess it up.

My group is finding the combat a little easy a lot of the time but they are of a high rank and despite their own protests have quite good gear to tackle this. When somewhere quiet and fighting something tough the sanctioned psyker sometimes just pulls out a firestorm power and guts the enemy forces, after that the bolt pistol wielding scum and arbitrator make easy work of survivors and the cleric dismembers people with his chainsword. He wont use this openly however so the Razorwing fight took a little while but they weren't in any real danger, they didn't take a single point of damage but one of the enemy psykers did invoke phenomenon and gave one of the characters five insanity points!

Seeing as in the end they might save/recover an Imperator Titan I'm wondering  if I should give them loads of bonus influence, peer mechanicus or have the mechanicus bring a small warp capable vessel out of mothball to reward them with a raider or transport sized ship. The PCs are already on the outs with the Ecclesiarchy because of a previous mission, they might choose to walk away from this whole thing if they can get one of their number to be named the successor to the Zanatov Rogue Trader Dynasty or try and do that while remain throne agents. It would truely lead to a really unique game if they get into Ascension and one of them pulls off becoming a Rogue Trader and an Inquisitor but I amn't sure if any of them will become an Inquisitor as I said before all of the players and me have to be ok with one of the players becoming the Inquisitor... my first foray into Ascension had a lot of disgruntled players when the Inquisitor player ignored their advice completely and did what he wanted while treating them like goons, and made a complete mess of the Red Wake scenario.