Sign in to follow this  
Daedalum

Is the wfrp3 demographic small but with a long tail?

I assume buyers of this game are a minority, but tend to buy everything. A small loyal customer base  perhaps?

Myself, I have spent somewhere over $700 not including over $100 on storage, Fantasy Grounds upgrade,  plastic tokens, sleeves etc, only other RPG I'm so wallet loose with is Trail of Cthulhu - and there isn't as much product from that line(unless you take collectors editions into account!).

Plan to buy everything released for WFRP3, but doubt I'll spend this much on a RPG again. How much have others spent? Would you spend this much on another RPG?

Apologies if talking $$ makes you uncomfortable :P

I bought the Core Set, the Creature Vault and the 2 pdf-Guides (GM and Player).

So far, we don't need anything on top of that.

I made some cards with StrangeEons for stuff that is only in the pdf and for weapons and such.

Oh, but since my players have so much fun with the game, they are willing put in some money for Omens or such in the future. Which did not happen for a long time in my group... :-)

So far, I have:

The core boxed set, The Adventurers Toolkit, Gamesmasters Toolkit, Creature Guide, Creature Vault, Gathering Storm, Edge of Night, Witches Song, Winds of Magic, Signs of Faith, Omens of War and Black Fire Pass.  I have also sleeved every card in FFGs own sleeves, and have purchased several 'Really Useful Boxes' to store the stuff.

I ain't adding up how much I've spent, no way :)

However, I fully intend to keep buying pretty much whatever they release...

I'm as much of a collector as I am a gamer.  However, I saw little value in the other Guides/Vaults, hence their absence.

I'm a "completionist" when it comes to these things and have 2 game stores on the route of my walk to and from work.

So perhaps it's not a shock if I say I have purchased everything from FFG, including 2 extra sets of dice.  I have a variety of earlier edition material and have augmented it with pdf's of a few things as well for the background etc.

Rob

All sans blackfire and gm's guide.  Although the GMs guide is crucial for a rules lite game, I've already made my own lists that are in that book.

If I had it to do over again, I'd have just gone rules lite/guides only. The only loose thing I fully appreciate are the wound cards.

I bought 4x5" negative holders and regular card sheets (my big expenditure).

jh

Everything except the player's vault and the game master's vault. All other boxes and all the guides and some extra sets of dice as well. Plus I spent a heck load on deck protectors and storage (racco boxes, "magic card binders" for the cards, etc.).

Sometimes I even feel that I want to buy the two vault boxes I don't have just to have "everything". Even though I realize I already have everything that's in those boxes and I like the thought of not letting multiple PC's buy the same cards. I would have absolutely no use for the vaults what so ever except for the extra dice, extra basic action cards and the neat boxes for storing stuff in, but I still want 'em.

k7e9 said:

Sometimes I even feel that I want to buy the two vault boxes I don't have just to have "everything".

Hah, I'm tempted to buy the P/GM vaults to have a easily transportable core set to take to one shots. I'd leave them unsleaved and not worry about how players handle them. My other full collection would just be for regular games at the homestead, as it  is getting too big to lug around. :)

Regardless of customer confusion, its nice to have these purchasing options.

I have everything plus two extra dice sets, and I am happy! I will buy everything, and I will be happier!

@k7e9:

It doesn't hurt to have the two Vaults too. Your three regular players can store their cards and stuff in these beautiful little boxes from the Core Set, and still you have enough material to play with a second group or go to Cons.

korknadel said:

@k7e9:

It doesn't hurt to have the two Vaults too. Your three regular players can store their cards and stuff in these beautiful little boxes from the Core Set, and still you have enough material to play with a second group or go to Cons.

I guess, but they become quite expensive storage boxes, but I agree that they do look good. I'll probably get them sometime in the future, it just hasn't happened yet. ;)

I have purchased one copy of everything released to date except for the Player's/GM's guides and vaults and the Dice App, none of which I intend to purchase anyway.

I'm a bargain-hunter.  Frugal to the bone and not much of an impulse-buyer.  I had nearly given up on the game at one point, simply because of the price-barrier.  But, after keeping my eyes open for bargains, I was sucked back in and managed to assemble my WFRP3 collection for a pretty good price.  In total, I'm calculating everything I bought thus far (after trades, discounts, shipping and taxes) costing me: $339.51.  Didn't realize it until I just did the math but that's almost $200 below MSRP!

I don't sleeve my cards and primarily use the Core Set, Adv. Toolkit and Creature Vault boxes for storage, complimented with Ziploc baggies, 1 Plano box ($3), 12 "sewing bead" storage trays ($6) and 8 mini-cardboard boxes for the stand-ups ($8).

But, yeah, I would guess WFPR3 is a pretty niche product within an already niche market (grim fantasy) within a niche hobby.  But those who enjoy it are likely some dedicated folks indeed!

k7e9 said:

korknadel said:

@k7e9:

I guess, but they become quite expensive storage boxes, but I agree that they do look good. I'll probably get them sometime in the future, it just hasn't happened yet. ;)

GM's vault has plenty of stuff in it you can use - wound cards, extra copies of condition cards, dice etc

I got one because i convinced myself it would still be useful!

I have everything else except players vault - can't justify that purchase, if it came with dice, that would probably be enough to convince me though..

pumpkin said:

GM's vault has plenty of stuff in it you can use - wound cards, extra copies of condition cards, dice etc

I have everything else except players vault - can't justify that purchase, if it came with dice, that would probably be enough to convince me though..

The condition cards and dice you are right about, but the wound cards I wouldn't include. Including the cards from the GV would lead to that the severe injuries (and other wounds released after the GV) would have a smaller chance/risk of turning up when drawing criticals. So I personally would not do that. The extra conditions would be really nice, I never really thought of that but often many in the party suffer/benifit from the same conditions and there are never enough to go around. Is there's one set of basic actions in the GV as well? If there was that might tip the scales and make me buy it this weekend. :P

just do not have all the products because it is not easy to buy things here in Brazil, but for now I have: Core Set, Adventurers Toolkit, GM Toolskit, Winds of Magic, Witch Song, Omens of War, Gathering Storm, The 3 Guides, The 3 Vaults.

And I hope that Amazon will send my Blackfire Pass, which has not yet sent. :(

I try not to look back at the expense as a whole. I have every component-inclusive release (not the 3 guides). Having started collecting the game components close to their initial release, I have found the release dates to meld well with my "gaming budget" of ~$30/month (just a dollar a day!). Buying more than one release at a time, or even being able to all-in for the starter again isn't feasible, but the content provided by each supplement is well worth the money from my recreation budget. I even have a little left over for other games to slip in (coughM:tGcough)

I easily qualify as a completionist, but my budget is strict (as it stands, I skip a few meals here and there). I have an active group of friends who gifted me one of supplements (much to my surprise) and provide food in return my services as a GM which serves to ease my gaming finances and ensure the group continues strong. As the DM, I see it as my calling to accumulate the dice and components to support the group. To date, I've been able to keep up and accrue supplements faster than we burn through them (even with up to 3 sessions every 2 weeks).

Two of my players have purchased player's guides, which eases the rules burden. Three have purchased the dice-rolling apps for their smart phones to ease dice passing (though, personally, I would rather have them roll physical dice -- an opinion for a different day). Other than that, I've managed to allow my players to invest little to null into the game financially. Most rpgs I've seen rely more heavily on the DM to invest (time and $) than the players -- this one particularly so (especially to ease the hassle of figuring out what is whose at the end of the night).

k7e9 said:

pumpkin said:

The condition cards and dice you are right about, but the wound cards I wouldn't include. Including the cards from the GV would lead to that the severe injuries (and other wounds released after the GV) would have a smaller chance/risk of turning up when drawing criticals. So I personally would not do that. The extra conditions would be really nice, I never really thought of that but often many in the party suffer/benifit from the same conditions and there are never enough to go around. Is there's one set of basic actions in the GV as well? If there was that might tip the scales and make me buy it this weekend. :P

I use the wound cards for NPCs only, keeping a seperate stack with all the extras in, like Severe criticals, for use by PCs.

Pretty sure there is a set of baisc actions too

The only thing I have not bought is the GM's Vault, although I have purchased two Player's vaults, one of which I handed out as a prize at the end of our last run, the other was a Valantines present for my girlfriend, no one can say I don't know how to treat a girl right! gui%C3%B1o.gif

I've purchased:

Core Set
Adventurer's Toolkit
Player's Guide
Winds of Change
Creatures Vault
and one of the adventures (cant remember which at the moment)
Extra Dice Set

I intend to purchase:

Signs of Faith
Omens of War
Lure of Power

I don't intend to purchase:

Player's Vault
GM's Vault

I'm undecided on:

GM's Guide
Creature Guide
Blackfire Pass
Hero's Call

I only wish they had waited until the four god books had come out before doing the hardcovers.  It would have been nice to have everything included up to that point.

pumpkin said:

I use the wound cards for NPCs only, keeping a seperate stack with all the extras in, like Severe criticals, for use by PCs.

Pretty sure there is a set of baisc actions too

I actually went out and bought the GM vault yesterday. I've got some mixed feelings about the content. I'm happy to have it but at the same time I don't really feel that I'll use that much of what was in there. Sure, some more dice are allways welcome, the set of basic actions were much needed and the condition cards I will use, but other than that it was mostly a pretty box to stuff characters into and some replacement cards if any of my old cards dissapear or get ruined in some way.

What perplexes me most was that FFG gave us duplicates of 12 location cards, what's up with that? Another set of basic actions (or maybe a lower price) would make more sense to me. Anyone come up with a good reason/use for the duplicates?

k7e9 said:

What perplexes me most was that FFG gave us duplicates of 12 location cards, what's up with that? Another set of basic actions (or maybe a lower price) would make more sense to me. Anyone come up with a good reason/use for the duplicates?

yer, that was a bit wierd, in theory it does allow you to have multiple instances of that location represented on the playing area, but I agree, different cards would have been much more useful