Sign in to follow this  
King of Terror

Painting the minis.

Knuckles Eki said:

I wouldn't have a clue on how to get pictures from my computer into this thread, but soon as I know, I'll start taking pictures of my Doom set

You need to get your photos from your computer onto the internet first - you could use something like photobucket or googles picasa or some other free photo hosting site.  Once it is there if you right click on the image you want you can "copy the image location" you then paste this into the thread inbetween the image tags that are provided if you pick the little image button at the top near the smileys. It is like this: [img ]http://www.whereeveryourimageis.jpg[/img ] but you have to remove the spaces I put inbetween img and the ] so it would actually show up in this post.

Hope this makes sense, if you still have trouble email me and I will help you out (edit: just realised we do not have private messaging or access to each others emails here, you can contact me via my website www.tiannastarfall.co.uk)

Loving all the painted minis in this thread, there are some great painters here, it is very inspiring.

I asked this on BGG, but figured it wouldn't hurt to throw it up here too....

I have some of the new GW washes that plan to use on the figures from some Flying Frog games, and wondered what experiences (if any) folks have had using them on the Doom figs?

I'm mainly interested in bringing out some details on the figures without doing a full paint job on them or losing their plastic colors (call me crazy, I kind of like the limited and bright rainbow). Thanks.

blark said:

I have some of the new GW washes that plan to use on the figures from some Flying Frog games, and wondered what experiences (if any) folks have had using them on the Doom figs?

If you do that, make sure to wash them really, really well with (cool) water and soap beforehand. The minis are cast with a thin layer of oil between form and mini, apparently, which keeps them from getting stuck. That oil won't completely have gone away before the minis come to you. Even when applying a basecoat, in some places the color still doesn't stick properly without a really thorough cleaning wash.

But I guess just the wash will work, too, as all other GW colors fit perfectly well onto Doom minis...

haslo said:

If you do that, make sure to wash them really, really well with (cool) water and soap beforehand.

So will a soak of the figures in the water/soap do it, or should I hand-wash each figure?  I figure a soak overnight in a bucket of solution should do the trick, but am willing to be wrong on that.  Thanks for the advice there.

Hi, all!   Ieronymus here, first time poster on the new forums.

The stuff shown here looks really good! I've been painting the bigger models of the original set.   Instead of my usual paint style (white primer, basecoat and tons and tons of washes), I decided to dip...turns out the big figures lend themselves well to this:

mancubus

hellknight1.jpg

cyberdemon1.jpg

I used GW paints and primer, along with brushed on FAP Medium dip for initial coverage over the base coat, followed by constrast washes (red on the hell knight, green on the mancubus, etc).  and a final coat of brushed-on FAP Superlight. Works okay!  :)

Total paint time for each figure: about 20 minutes. 

*edit*

Oh, and btw, here's a couple of shot of the bases with which I'm replacing the original ones:

48mmdoombaser.jpg

48mm bases for the large figures, and:

dippetchampbaser.jpg

25mm bases for the small figures.  The large bases are bashed Hex- and Platform-builder elements glues onto 3mm plasticard, the small ones are bought bases from Champ Industries, weighted with steel washes and closed with 0.5mm plasticard on the bottom to keep the minis from tipping. All bases are primed, basecoated and dipped, after which the figures at pinned to the new bases.

Ieronymus said:

25mm bases for the small figures.  The large bases are bashed Hex- and Platform-builder elements glues onto 3mm plasticard, the small ones are bought bases from Champ Industries, weighted with steel washes and closed with 0.5mm plasticard on the bottom to keep the minis from tipping. All bases are primed, basecoated and dipped, after which the figures at pinned to the new bases.

could you provide a link or something to where did you get the bases from?

it's very nice idea, I'd like to do the same.

The 25mm bases are bought from Champ Industries, link here: www.champindustries.net/bases.html

The larger bases are from the bashed from the Urban Mammoth Hexagon and Platform Builder sets, link here:  www.urbanmammoth.com/acatalog/

I'll try and post some images of the larger pases after painting.  The minis are pinned and glued to the bases with superglue. Good luck!

Ieronymus said:

I'll try and post some images of the larger pases after painting.  The minis are pinned and glued to the bases with superglue. Good luck!

OK, please do so; and thanks for the info, much appreciated.

So look who's bac...ME! Been away for awhile but I have returned and I got news...I painted my first mini ever! It was a Revanant. I'll post pics later. I used Apple Barrel paints and they seemed to work very well with it. I'll get those pics up tonight

Wow the talent on this board is just astounding! Great work guys. I personally use warm water and soap. I find the warm might help take any grease off the models and I find the soap comes of faster when you rinse. The inks work. I used them on mine and I am still using GW paints from the 90's. Those pots are so much better than the new ones.  I bought some of the new ones and they have dried up on me in less than a month. Meanwhile the old paints are still as consistent as if I had bought them yesterday. I have slowly started transitioning into the folk art paints because they are cheaper, you get more in them and they don't dry out like the GW paints do. Plus with a few light layers of matte spray protects the paint jobs.

Amazing work! I wish that mine came out looking that good. I find a black base coat followed with drybrushing of color, a wash and more drybrushing works fairly well for the figures. I seal them with varnish at the end of it all.

CanadianPittbull said:

I bought some of the new ones and they have dried up on me in less than a month. Meanwhile the old paints are still as consistent as if I had bought them yesterday. I have slowly started transitioning into the folk art paints because they are cheaper, you get more in them and they don't dry out like the GW paints do. Plus with a few light layers of matte spray protects the paint jobs.

I've noticed same thing. I still have some Citadel paints from early 90's when I bought my first paint sets, still as good as new.

My Mate and myself ran Doom at a local event in the UK called Stabcon. I painted the figures and he made the board. He has stuck this picture up on geek but thought i would link it here so you can see.

I painted the minis my good mate cast the boards from moders plasters

Decided i wanted to keep the minis uniform in colour and just coloured up the the base edges. For the trites that have no base i just put coloured markings between the knuckle joints to indicate the red green blue. The for the marines i painted the base edge but also mixed in pearlescent white paint to give me metalic type greens reds and blues they are near the top right in the top picture. Sorry dont have any pics of the trites to show you or any close ups i really need to buy a camera.  I just got the Expansion so will at some point paint up the new minis i have, probably ready for the next stabcon after christmas there were a lot of disapointed folks who didnt get to play Doom at the last event so should be fun next time 

pic513122_md.jpg

My Mate cast all the small sqaures that make up the board sections and the doors.

haslo said:

Very nice stuff, Interceptor :) I hope you don't mind if I draw some inspiration from your minis :D

I painted 12 zombies meanwhile, and just finished a Revenant. I turned my blog into some kind of painting journal, so if you want nearly up-to-date pics of my progress, that's where to look :P

Here's that first Revenant then:

Revenant

It took nearly 2 hours, if I continue to paint minis at this rate I'll be done in a few years :D

That's an awesome looking revanant! I need to start painting my figs as well. gran_risa.gif