Sign in to follow this  
King of Terror

Painting the minis.

Looking good Haslo! I found the Cacodemons to be a bit of pain in the butt to paint when it came to inside their mouths, the exposed brain was a treat to paint. The final result was more than worth the challenge. I just remember them being annoying to paint. Again great work!

CanadianPittbull said:

Looking good Haslo! I found the Cacodemons to be a bit of pain in the butt to paint when it came to inside their mouths [...]

Thanks for the compliment! I just sprayed their mouth insides multiple times, checking after every time if there was some non-black spots left inside, and laid on some more layers of sprayed black if there were lengua.gif The Cacodemons must have been the best-base-coated minis so far gran_risa.gif

I just completed the Pinky Demons:

Pinky Demons

I can detail the process if you want, generally it was 3-5 layers of alternating brushing and washing for the body front and back, and then some detail work corazon.gif - overall they must've taken me over 2 hours per piece sorpresa.gif

Nice to see some painted up games - great work here, especially Haslo - nice blog too.

I painted up the Red and Green team when I first got the game, have not touched the blue team or the expansion set yet. I undercoated in black and most where done with GW Citadel paints, but I also use Derivan MiNis, Miniature Paints and more recently Vallejo as I have found a good local supplier.  Most important to wash off the molding residue with soapy water, rinse and dry, base coat (primer black or white to taste) and finally add a varnish (top-coat).  I prefer matt varnish but it is a matter of personal preference.

Here are a couple of examples of my stuff, the rest can be seen on my website along with some other games www.tiannastarfall.co.uk

I tried to differentiate the Red and Green Teams with different colour schemes and added some rubble effect to the base of the cyberdemon:

Red team cyberdemon

Green Team Cyberdemon

Knuckles Eki said:

They don't look like dogs anymore.

Indeed, that was one of my goals lengua.gif

TiannaStarfall said:

Nice to see some painted up games - great work here, especially Haslo - nice blog too.

Thanks :) Your minis are really nice, too - I like your broad range as well. And I'm a bit envious that you have two sets of Hero Quest, I kinda lost mine, I have no clue where it went llorando.gif

Just like you (although very different and out of uncomparably less severe circumstances), I find painting really therapeutic. Myself, I work with computers as a developer, and my studies involve mental work only as well (philosophy), so I kinda lack any kind of manual occupation - and painting, where at the end of the day a product is visible, really fills a gap for me...

I'll follow your blog for sure from now on aplauso.gif

I painted two more sets of minis now by the way (as those who follow the blog already saw), Imps...

Imps

...and Zombie Commandos:

Zombie Commandos

Now, I only have more complicated ones in lesser numbers remaining: Maggots and Archviles, then Mancubi, Hellknights, Spider Queens and finally the Cyberdemons. And only then will I paint the WH40k Space Marine Scouts I designated as Marines gran_risa.gif

haslo said:

...and Zombie Commandos:

Zombie Commandos

Now, I only have more complicated ones in lesser numbers remaining: Maggots and Archviles, then Mancubi, Hellknights, Spider Queens and finally the Cyberdemons. And only then will I paint the WH40k Space Marine Scouts I designated as Marines gran_risa.gif

Heh Heh.  Call in the Commando Squad.  When you fill in any bullet holes, they make great additional marines.  12 Marines... *shudder* sorpresa.gif

haslo said:

Thanks :) Your minis are really nice, too - I like your broad range as well. And I'm a bit envious that you have two sets of Hero Quest, I kinda lost mine, I have no clue where it went llorando.gif

Just like you (although very different and out of uncomparably less severe circumstances), I find painting really therapeutic. Myself, I work with computers as a developer, and my studies involve mental work only as well (philosophy), so I kinda lack any kind of manual occupation - and painting, where at the end of the day a product is visible, really fills a gap for me...

I'll follow your blog for sure from now on aplauso.gif

I painted two more sets of minis now by the way (as those who follow the blog already saw), Imps...

Imps

...and Zombie Commandos:

Zombie Commandos

Lovin' those zombies and imps!  Yes, I find painting extremely therapeutic and it is one of the things I can still do consistently, some days I dont have the brain power to do much else and I can do it in short bursts in between rests, so its all good.

Shame about your Hero Quest - I still love this game, its a real blast.

Knuckles Eki said:

When you fill in any bullet holes, they make great additional marines.  12 Marines... *shudder* sorpresa.gif

Heh, actually, when I'll have painted my marines I'll have 10 of them - mostly for CTF and DM play though of course.

A lil update, I now painted the Maggots...

Maggots

...and the Mancubi, of which I'm particularly proud:

Mancubi

The Mancubi actually took so long to paint that I painted the Maggots during some times when the washes on the Mancubi had to dry...

haslo said:

Mancubi

The Mancubi actually took so long to paint that I painted the Maggots during some times when the washes on the Mancubi had to dry...

Cap'n: Send in the Big Guy squad

*10 minutes later*

Cap'n: Well come on now

Alpha Mancubus: Hunnngh... cooommmiiiiinnnggg...

*All tries to go through door at the same time*

Alpha Mancubus: Errr... door smaaalllll... blooow it uuupp...

*All shoots at door and the room collapses on them*

Cap'n: *Shakes head*

lengua.gif

Moar painted minis gran_risa.gif - I'm getting towards the end of my efforts, which means that the folks get harder and harder to paint (as I saved the complicated and oversized ones for the end, after having warmed up with the rest).

First, Archviles! I tried to make them all firey-glowey, with yellow and orange. Their bright skin (Doom 2 like, again) means that they lost a fair bit of contrast through that, but I think the effect is about as good as I can make it...

Archviles

And, the Hellknights. I did indeed steal that idea with the red heads to make them more demonic, it works really well to add contrast and make the head stand out more, too.

Hellknights

Marines, Cyberdemons and Spider Queens left preocupado.gif

I actually already started with the marines. Since I plan to take the game to a group of friends on the 2nd, and I want to have them ready until then - playing against painted monsters with unpainted marines is not that horribly tempting I'm afraid, and do I want to tempt them or what gran_risa.gif

I'm using GW scouts now. This is the progress this far:

Marines, half painted

I made them all hold bolt pistols and shotguns, no bolters or even heavy bolters - those (just like chain swords) reminded me too much of Warhammer 40k lengua.gif

CanadianPittbull said:

Those look great Haslo! And yeah when I first painted mine I started with the Marines as well. I will have to post some of my stuff and add to this thread of already great work. Hope mine stand up cause Haslo that stuff is awesome!

Judging by your minis in other games on the FFG forums, you'll truly humble my efforts happy.gif

(I didn't paint the marines first though, but started painting them today lengua.gif)

haslo said:

CanadianPittbull said:

Those look great Haslo! And yeah when I first painted mine I started with the Marines as well. I will have to post some of my stuff and add to this thread of already great work. Hope mine stand up cause Haslo that stuff is awesome!

Judging by your minis in other games on the FFG forums, you'll truly humble my efforts happy.gif

Don't know about that. You should be very proud of what you have done here.

Yay, the marines are complete gran_risa.gif

The Cyberdemons and Spider Queens will have to wait until after the LAN party this weekend, when I'll try to convince some game geeks to try board gaming. So far, the outlook is good.

Here's the three marine teams:

Red Marines

Green Marines

Blue Marines

The poor green fellas only have two marines. That will allow for 4v4 CTF and TDM matches with red vs blue though, and 2v2v2 TDM matches as well (with all three teams). Their shoulder plates have roman numbers from I to IV, to make remembering which one is yours easier.

Those look awesome Haslo! And very smart idea especially for the Deathmatch levels! I may have to borrow the idea myself if my players ever play the deathmatch rules. They are more interested in the campaign part of the game at the moment. Figured I would post some pics of my stuff. Enjoy!

Doom001.jpg

Doom002.jpg

Doom003.jpg

Doom004.jpg

Doom005.jpg

Doom006.jpg

Doom007.jpg

Doom008.jpg

Doom009.jpg

Doom010.jpg

Very nice :) I like how you incorporated the marine colors - it brings diversity into each kind of invaders, too, and it's very nicely done - not over the top, but visible. And I particularly like your Cyberdemons, the arms and horns are very nice.

I won't rush those last six minis of mine like I did the ones before this weekend, I want the painting to be a relaxing pasttime again. I guess I will need at least a week until there's anything more to show from me lengua.gif - playing was great fun tho, the painted minis really add to the atmosphere.