Sign in to follow this  
Nitro Pirate

Fact or Fiction?

Alright, like most people I've been waiting FOREVER for a copy of Kings of the Sea and Lords of Winter.

My local shop owner drops me a text yesterday to say he was getting Kings of the Sea in today (WHOOOOOHOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!)

I get a text this morning - "Sorry, Esdevium have said Kings of the Sea won't be shipping due to a typing error on the back on the packaging. I argued with them, but they said FFG won't let them release the stock"

WHAAAAAAAT???!!?!?

FFG ARE YOU KIDDING ME???!

How bad can a typo be to stop the card shipping? Unless it's a picture of Emilia Clarke's norks or something about kids then I can't see why the hell you'd upset your customers so much. What a joke!!

And in case anyone was wondering, this post was FACT :(

Depends on the typo. Is it about the number cards? Is it a problem with the legal text? What country are you in? You shouldn't really be blaming FFG for a typo if the cards are done by one of their foreign partners, that is on them to get that stuff correct, and if it is something legal or something that will effect whether or not someone wants to buy that box it is a big deal contractually.

Well, I can back up what he said to a degree.

From a store in P'cola FL, USA, the distributor is out of KotS for some reason. 

But just a typo on the box?  Seems a little weird to me...

Yes I was talking about the packaging... ~my reading comprehension is pretty fair. 

Of course if it is the English set that is messed up then it is on FFG. Nothing to say there, but I understand not wanting to put out a product that may have wording that misleads the consumer, or has legal issues regarding trademarks and copyrights.

I got an (English)  copy of it from Germany.  The text on the back seems perfeclty fine to me, so I really don't see why they aren't able to sell it.  I'm more inclined to beleive that Esdevium are just screwing up rather than FFG holding them back.

Just if anyone's interested, I did find out what the problem was. The problem was that the back of the box was identical to the non-revised boxset and as such stated that the box included a resin house card.

I can see why this would result in a recall due to the legal implications of stating something is contained when it's not. However, pretty poor show by FFG to let this slip out en-masse.

Nitro Pirate said:

Just if anyone's interested, I did find out what the problem was. The problem was that the back of the box was identical to the non-revised boxset and as such stated that the box included a resin house card.

I can see why this would result in a recall due to the legal implications of stating something is contained when it's not. However, pretty poor show by FFG to let this slip out en-masse.

I've heard of situations like this before where they have to get stickers printed and then arduously manually sticker all the boxes in-warehouse before re-shrink-wrapping for distribution.  I can imagine someone losing their job over a gaffe like this, when you consider the amount of money lost in printing, labor, and overhead. 

Recalling those seems pretty reasonable. Obviously you don't want to be selling something that promises something that is not in the box. It could disappoint and alienate customers, and I'm sure it potentially opens FFG up to lawsuits.

Also, what is it that is told to every new player who wants to know what to buy next? "When you pick up Princes of the Sun and Kings of the Sea, make **** sure it's the revised edition." Even if the front of the box says "Revised Edition," if you look and the back says it has the contents of the original edition, some people won't buy it.