Sign in to follow this  
ShadowFighter88

[Edge of Darkness] Possible GM pitfalls?

Any major problems I should keep an eye out for with this?  I'm a pretty new GM (only run part of a DnD campaign and some Exalted) and haven't played in a DH game before.  The people I might be playing with (still got some logistical stuff to sort out) are all new, but a fair few have played DnD and a couple of them are in the Exalted game I'm running at the moment.

So is there anything I should be worried about?  Any encounters that might be a bit brutal for starting characters?  Anything that might be a bit more obscure than the writers intended?

No major problems in my opinion.

Just take care to somehow indicate that the Enforcer seem a little dubious or at least not good for any use/help regarding the Acolytes mission. The mission can be spoiled rather fast if the Acolytes run to the Enforcer HQ at first notice and it is really hard to steer the adventure to a viable and satisfying climax for the GM in that case. It seems to me quite a few GMs here on the board ran into that very sort of situation unfortunately.  I am not sure how the typical D&D player reacts to such things as state power or whether they always expect the best of people (instead of expecting always the worst as it is fitting for WFRP and DH).

Another problem might be the description of the Alms House. It is often contradictory to say the least at might complicate matters especially in combat situations. Therefore plan in advance and make floorplans (D&D players expect them anyway, don't they?) or better check the forum and/or Dark Reign; I saw at least two different floorplans for the Alms House there and one of these were really a big help in the end.

Luthor Harkon said:

Another problem might be the description of the Alms House. It is often contradictory to say the least at might complicate matters especially in combat situations. Therefore plan in advance and make floorplans (D&D players expect them anyway, don't they?) or better check the forum and/or Dark Reign; I saw at least two different floorplans for the Alms House there and one of these were really a big help in the end.

I second that- it blows my mind that the module didn't include a map for this crucial location!

My standard advice to new DH GMs is to have all of the tools handy that you will need to improvise if (actually, when) your players set off in an unexpected direction. A handful of maps of "generic" locations (bars, storefronts, wearhouses, offices, hab-units, etc) and a stack of ready-to-go NPCs (even if they are just archetypes from the Adversaries section of the Rulebook given specific names and a specialized Skill or piece of equipment) can be life-savers in investigation-based scenarios...

Thanks for the advice guys, gonna grab one of the Alms House maps off Dark Reign now.

I'll keep the bit about backup maps and NPCs in mind as well - I was going to be using either Maptool or Ditzie for the maps (all of the other players are interstate - most in Sydney and me in Toowoomba - so probably going to use Mumble or some other chat program for the game), so whipping up a few extra maps shouldn't be too hard.

As for them going to the Enforcers, I'll slip a few things here and there hinting that, if nothing else, they're rather ineffectual.  That and several of them are semi-versed in 40k lore so they'll probably prefer to keep their work in-house, so to speak.

Worst case scenario; I have to have the Interrogator that sends them down there in the first place tell them not to trust the local authorities in-case they've been compromised.

As someone who just finished running EoD, there are some things that could be annoying and possibly dangerous for the characters. In my case, I got the feeling the snatchers were a pain - not necessarily due to their brute strength (although 1d10+5 is quite decent, especially against poorly armored starting characters), but due to their quite decent toughness and armor. Most of my characters had starting guns and no one had armor piercing bullets, so the only one doing consistent damage was the monosword assassin.

Do check the back of the adventure and the core book for NPC stat blocks, and remember you can reuse stuff as you see fit. Just because something is called enforcer doesn't mean you can't use it for a ganger or anything in the rough vicinity as far as combat abilities are concerned. There are some fanmade maps for parts of Koskarla, so use them - and possibly nick a few premade maps for other adventures (or heck, other games) as well.

I figured the lack of good starting armour would come up (say what you will about 1d4chan, but the Dark Heresy page on their wiki as a pretty **** informative section on how not to get horrifically slaughtered once the las-bolts start flying), but I'll keep the bit about how damage-resistant the snatchers are.  Might sort something out; say, one free weapon mod per-person as long as it costs less than X Thrones, or should I just go with the sell-starting-gear-back-for-half-price method and have the players with plenty of leftover Thrones (the Cleric and Assassin, mainly - bloody rich smegheadslengua.gif) buy some good armour for the rest?