Sign in to follow this  
lord inquisitor revan darksoul

grey knights librarian proven 10 infinite damage

ok 1 of my players wanted to play a grey knight librarian in my campaign... no an issue you might think until they reach rank 8 as this was his idea

grey knight librarian can take from librarian spec, grey knight spec and most importantly gk psychic spec...... this means that at rank 8 a gk lib could have a psy rating of 10 combined with that funky gk psychic trait psy weapon focus which gives their nemisis force weapon, their psybolt ammoed up storm bolter or thier psy cannon proven rating equal to thier psy rating meaning they hit you, roll anything and its a 10 they roll to confirm rightous fury and if they do they prceed to pump out infinite damage killing all and everything.

did i miss something or is that broken?

lord inquisitor revan darksoul said:

grey knight librarian can take from librarian spec, grey knight spec and most importantly gk psychic spec...... this means that at rank 8 a gk lib could have a psy rating of 10 combined with that funky gk psychic trait psy weapon focus which gives their nemisis force weapon, their psybolt ammoed up storm bolter or thier psy cannon proven rating equal to thier psy rating meaning they hit you, roll anything and its a 10 they roll to confirm rightous fury and if they do they prceed to pump out infinite damage killing all and everything.

did i miss something or is that broken?

I don't have the book at hand but....

A Proven rating of 10 would mean it always does 10 points of damage, not that you rolled a 10. You would still be required to roll a 10 on the die to activate rightious fury.

The success of this exploit lies in (besides confirming righteous fury) the wording of the proven quality. As I read it, the proposed situation would not grant you righteous fury, because having your roll of, say, 3 treated as a 10 is not the same thing as rolling a 10. (Much in the same way a 95 after penalties does not result in a weapon jam)

It's an ambiguous case in the rules, and requires GM ruling. That would be how I would run it in my game.

Edit: Yeah, what he said.

Also, technically, as per Righteous Fury, it can only be triggered as the result of a damage dice rolling 10 after a successful Ballistic Skill or Weapon Skill Test. I don't have the book in front of me, but I'm nearly certain the wording in there is such that it specifically says that psychic powers cannot trigger Righteous Fury. Force Weapons function off of a willpower test, and are not eligible for Righteous Fury.

They deal enough damage as it is.

The extra damage yes, but the weapon damage still triggers Rhiteous fury normally.

But i would go with what some foreposters alwready said: Even if every roll is treated as a 10 it is not automatically a rolled 10 which is needed for a Fury. And after the confirmation Weapon Skill Test you still need to roll 10s to move to infinite damage. I dont see an exploit here.

While i dont have the books, i wuld like to point out to your player that if he based his way of gaining a Psy-Rating on 10 on gaining advances from different pathes that are the same and adding something from it, it wont work.

For example if the advance "Psy-Rating 2 " is on the Librarian and on the Grey Knight path, he can not just buy it two times and end with a Psy-Rating of 3, and so on. Only if the advances is explicitly given as "Psy-Rating +1" would it stack.

Noctus said:

While i dont have the books, i wuld like to point out to your player that if he based his way of gaining a Psy-Rating on 10 on gaining advances from different pathes that are the same and adding something from it, it wont work.

For example if the advance "Psy-Rating 2 " is on the Librarian and on the Grey Knight path, he can not just buy it two times and end with a Psy-Rating of 3, and so on. Only if the advances is explicitly given as "Psy-Rating +1" would it stack.

as per the daemon hunters book grey knights have access to grey knights basic tree, grey knights phsychic tree and their speciality tree which in this case would be librarian which have access to go up to psy rating 10 or did i misread that bit?