Sign in to follow this  
Alexander West

AGoT Joust Metagame Discussion

So, I have a background playing Magic, and have recently discovered A Game of Thrones.  I'm having a good time building decks, and exploring the different cards.  I peeked a bit at the GenCon championship decks, but was wondering if there is a more organized overview of what kinds of deck archetypes exist, and what are common threats & solutions one tends to face out of other competitive decks?  (Or if there is no easy place to link to, if folks wouldn't mind posting major archetypes here?)

I would suggest to check out the decks at cardgamedb.com or agotcards.org. You'll quickly discover the most common played archetypes.

Watch out for:

Baratheon Renown Rush or Knights Rush

Targ Burn or Targ Dragons

Shadow Lannister, Hyperkneel Lannister

Martell Kings of Summer, Martell Maester

Stark Army (Siege of Winterfell), Stark Shadows

Greyjoy Kings of Winter, Greyjoy Maester

There are several more builds. I just posted a few that came to my mind.

What do you guys think are the top tier decks of the meta?  (I read a bunch of articles, but analysis seemed light; decklists shoddy.)

My fiancee and I have been slowly building decks and testing them...  The Lannister Kneel/Trait Manipulaiton decks seem very powerful.  Tin Link and Copper Link off Maester's Path seem like very versatile answers to all sorts of permanents.  What sorts of decks usually beat these?

Alexander West said:

What do you guys think are the top tier decks of the meta?  (I read a bunch of articles, but analysis seemed light; decklists shoddy.)

My fiancee and I have been slowly building decks and testing them...  The Lannister Kneel/Trait Manipulaiton decks seem very powerful.  Tin Link and Copper Link off Maester's Path seem like very versatile answers to all sorts of permanents.  What sorts of decks usually beat these?

I'll pre-empt my comments with the caveat that I'm a mediocre player who doesn't spend nearly the time I'd like to staying up to date on AGoT LCG matters.

As far as Lannister trait manipulation, or really just trait manipulation in general, it can be very powerful. It's not the juggernaut it used to be since Carrion Bird was errata'd, but it gives plenty of options. As far as what beats those decks, anything with plenty of attachment control, like Targaryen, will give it issues, as well as anything that can do directed kill, like Targaryen or Stark, or Martell with its bounce/kill.

I think the general opinion now is that even with the most recent errata/restrictions (which added The Viper's Bannermen, considered by many to be Martell's "best" card), Martell, whether Summer, Maester, or some combination of the two, is at the top of the heap. From what I've overheard, the real discussion now is what Restricted card is any particular Martell deck going to run? The Viper's Bannermen and Venomous Blade seem to be the leading contenders, although Burning on the Sand might see a resurgence in popularity with the Prince's Plans on the scene now.

The Maester's Path recently got errata'd to only work on printed Maesters, so the ueber-Maester builds (Robert in Baratheon, Killer of the Wounded in Targaryen, Joffrey in Lannister) took a bit of a hit, by which I mean they will now need another step to getting the chains on their chosen characters (search, draw, return from discard.)

Lannister, the leading house for a long time, is definitely still viable/strong in its Hyper-Kneel/Shadows format, and perhaps more so with TVB being restricted, as Venomous Blade might see less play. Lannister kneel is a real pain for plenty of decks, the gold production is unmatched, and their draw is generally both strong and consistent.

Greyjoy Choke/Winter/Unopposed is strong against many decks, particularly when it gets a good flop. Gilbert Farwynd is a recent addition to the deck, although I have yet to see how the deck really performs with him in it.

Some of us still insist on Stark Armies/Siege of Winterfell, but it's generally weak against Martell Summer and not thrilling against Lannister Kneel. Stark has recently added some pretty sharp looking stuff though (e.g. Rickon Stark) so keep an eye out for a resurgence.

Brotherhood is still popular, but generally doesn't match up against Martell very well (particularly Game of Cyvasse) so it hasn't been nearly as effective as it was a year ago.

Maybe it's just me, but I also sense some renewed interest in Baratheon Rush (Noble ad/or Holy.)

Hello,

Just some 2 cents on the thread, supported by the fact that i am also a casual player and usually wrong, on the subject of archetypes and strength.  I think that there is usually more of a dynamic top eight in the big tourneys of GOT than say in other games.  Over the years though, martell icon removal/challenge control and Lanni kneel/stand resource have been traditionally strong as already noted.  Within the new chapter pack lcg version of the game, the dominant short term archetypes have been the ones developed in each pack.  Usually to compliment another preexisting archetype in some way.  ie. martell control with maester theme.  lannister kneel with clansman/brotherhood. 

Great to see the discussion and happy to see all the new players jumping on the boards!