Sign in to follow this  
Lengytam

Let's take a ship

Greetings to fellow Game Masters!

I'm gonna start an RT campaign and I think I'm gonna make a small scale prologue adventure to my RT player which explains how he gots his ship.
(And maybe the way he meets the other players.)
The starting situation is that the RT's father was on a serious mission, but there was a disaster which crushes both the ship and the captain body, (he didn't get killed, but crippled in a really nasty way) which means the eldest heir needs to continue his mission.
Now the RT player needs to get a new ship, cause all of the dynasties vessels are occupied by the RT's siblings, and they don't want to lend one of them to him. (Cause they're jealous now that he's the holder of the warrant of trade)
The only problem is that I don't have any cool, or original ideas about acquiring a ship from the zero.
In fact I make some cranks for that, but they're only clichés or comes from movies, so if you have an intresting scenario, don't hesitate to share it with me.

The ideas:
-Winning a Cardgame party, a car/scooter/horse derbi, or a martial arts tournament to gain the ship.
-Make an expedition to the coordinates of a wreck to salvage it. (An allied RT house, or a sibling brings the RT to the location, and lend the necessary assistance.)
-Take/Steal a ship by force (can be a bit difficult without a ship of his own)
-Fortune-hunting: Marry with a lady of a lesser family (which is happy to fuse with the RT's dynasty), to get the ship as a dowry.
-Buy the ship on an auction.

Well, he could get a little assitance from an Inquisitor, only having to run some small undercover errands for the inquisitor, or use this ship to eliminate an renegade/rival inquisitor leading a small ship somewhere in the  expanse.

How's this: a ship from the character's Dynasty was recently captured by an old family rival. The Dynasty's spies have recently leared that this vessel is being overhauled at a lawless spaceport somewhere in the Expanse. Most of the original crew are still aboard, forced to obey orders from the new captain via explosive collars controlled from the bridge, until he can replace them with a crew loyal to his own Dynasty. If the character can sneak a small squad (i.e. the other PCs) aboard (while most of the userper's armsmen are drunk at the spaceport) and seize the bridge, he can steal back the ship and earn formal Captain status from his Dynasty's crippled leader.

How about as the elder and holder of the warrant you let them choose which of their siblings ships they want to 'acquire'.  Jealousy or not if they belong to the dynasty aren't they beholden to him.  So either they take the ship by force acquiring the sibling as a rival or they find a way to get rid of said sibling.

Their retinue could either join him in the endeavor to seize control of the ship or be found serving aboard the ship already and looking to aid them when word begins to circulate of their intentions to seize control.

If the sibling isn't killed outright they slink away and bide their time and may be return later looking for retribution.  Rogue trading is a cutthroat business might as well start out that way.

If you don't want to give 'em a fully kitted ship have the sibling agree, but have the ship delivered stripped leaving the group having to acquire the necessary components needed to get underway.

if he's the holder of the warrant it would be in the house's primary interests to "give" him a ship outright,, if they still don't wish to comply he should just kill one of his siblings and take the ship,, in fact most of his siblings will surely be plotting to kill him to obtain the warrant for themselves!!

oi oi

! : ? 

The original post might just have said "don't want to lend him one" but I'd imagine in practice it will be more among the lines of "Yes Rogue Trader, brother, I received your order but we are currently experiencing severe 'technical difficulties' and cannot comply." or "We tried to send an astropathic message to your sister, Rogue Trader, but she hasn't replied yet. Maybe she's stuck in a warp storm."

As far as the question is concerned: In my experience a cliche/corny but simple plot works far better then a convoluted original plot. So the 'take a ship by force' would be great. The 'charm the pants of a wealthy lady' one also sounds excellent.

Or how about the Rogue Trader being approached by a crime syndicate. They give him command of a ship, in exchange he will allow them to use his warrant of trade for criminal enterprises. And of course that relationship will get more and more abusive as time goes by. Keep asking more outrageous/heretical/cruel things from the players until they are fed up and break off from the syndicate. Earning of course their endless enmity.

"How about as the elder and holder of the warrant you let them choose which of their siblings ships they want to 'acquire'. Jealousy or not if they belong to the dynasty aren't they beholden to him. So either they take the ship by force acquiring the sibling as a rival or they find a way to get rid of said sibling."
You've got a point, but Red Bart explained that how this can be avoided by the siblings.

"In fact most of his siblings will surely be plotting to kill him to obtain the warrant for themselves!!"
I already have a plan to do that (involving a brother who is the identical twin of the RT). demonio.gif

"Well, he could get a little assitance from an Inquisitor, only having to run some small undercover errands for the inquisitor, or use this ship to eliminate an renegade/rival inquisitor leading a small ship somewhere in the expanse."
Nice one, but the players doesn't want to work with the Inquisition, or the Ecclesiarchy. (Dunno why, it would be fun)

"How's this: a ship from the character's Dynasty was recently captured by an old family rival. The Dynasty's spies have recently leared that this vessel is being overhauled at a lawless spaceport somewhere in the Expanse. Most of the original crew are still aboard, forced to obey orders from the new captain via explosive collars controlled from the bridge, until he can replace them with a crew loyal to his own Dynasty. If the character can sneak a small squad (i.e. the other PCs) aboard (while most of the userper's armsmen are drunk at the spaceport) and seize the bridge, he can steal back the ship and earn formal Captain status from his Dynasty's crippled leader.

Or how about the Rogue Trader being approached by a crime syndicate. They give him command of a ship, in exchange he will allow them to use his warrant of trade for criminal enterprises. And of course that relationship will get more and more abusive as time goes by. Keep asking more outrageous/heretical/cruel things from the players until they are fed up and break off from the syndicate. Earning of course their endless enmity."
I like these alot. aplauso.gif
At now I don't know which one will be in the prologue (cause we still planning the Dynasty), but I will write something both these ideas and the one involving marriage, and take the one matches with their dynasty.

Unless the warrant always goes to the younguest sibbling, why would your RT not have a ship and is younger sibblings have one?

The other one would be there is a Warrant handover meeting/ritual where all the sibblings have to be, he as to allie with some and make enemy of others as he elbows the biggest ship he can or the smallest with the less enemy inside is house.

The sibblings are not actual member of the familly and are jsut trying to steal tyhe show, adopted brother, etc. He as to gather the loyalty of Navis Nobilite, etc to convince them he is the rightfull owner of ships and warrants. (Legacy BL novel)