Sign in to follow this  
Lockark

Noise Weapons and power sources?

A strange question I noticed when looking as the Noise Weapons. It states that the user needs to be wearing power armor, so the weapon can draw power from the armor's power supplies.

I wanted to know other people's thoughts on noise weapons useing alternative power sources. Like a heratec's potentia coil, or a Backpack Ammo pack/power pack? (Useing the rules for it from Rouge Trader, since it seems missing from black crusade for some reason.)

More or less was looking for feed back on the idea from a fluff/balance perspective, and maby ideas for other alternative power sources? The Potentia coil I'm abit hesitant on, but I don't see why not the Backpack Power Pack could apply.

Personally, I'd say that if you allow a backpack power supply for those weapons, they need to be treated as Legion weapons, with all the penalties that entails. Sonic weaponry was designed by Space Marines, for Space Marines, and I think the -20 is more than appropriate to represent the difficulties a human would have lifting the thing, let alone surviving the back-blast from it. gui%C3%B1o.gif

Doomaflatchi said:

Personally, I'd say that if you allow a backpack power supply for those weapons, they need to be treated as Legion weapons, with all the penalties that entails. Sonic weaponry was designed by Space Marines, for Space Marines, and I think the -20 is more than appropriate to represent the difficulties a human would have lifting the thing, let alone surviving the back-blast from it. gui%C3%B1o.gif

In Fulgrim they were orginaly instruments used by mortal humans in a ritual to slaanesh. Once thier descrutive power was realized did the noise marines use them. Thier is also no projectile, so how much of a back-blast thier would be would be kinda debateable.

=/

I was thinking finite ammo would be the balancing factor. Maby 80 shots for a sonic blaster, 60 shots for a blast master or Doom siren. Due to their high rarity their more end game-ish anyway.

But a 2nd opinion is always a good idea.

^^

I know the original noise weapons were instruments, but I always thought it was obvious that they've undergone considerable evolution to get to where they are now. And by "back blast", I simply meant the vibrations that would travel into the wielder while using the weapon (since, in any noise weapon, you must have something that vibrates; I understand "back blast" was probably the incorrect word there). It should be harder for a human to hold it on target. Perhaps humans could treat them all as Heavy Weapons? Just a thought.

Doomaflatchi said:

I know the original noise weapons were instruments, but I always thought it was obvious that they've undergone considerable evolution to get to where they are now. And by "back blast", I simply meant the vibrations that would travel into the wielder while using the weapon (since, in any noise weapon, you must have something that vibrates; I understand "back blast" was probably the incorrect word there). It should be harder for a human to hold it on target. Perhaps humans could treat them all as Heavy Weapons? Just a thought.

Ah. I get what your saying now. My apologies.

Since the whole requirement about useing noise weapons was for a power armour power source, I was not considering that the weapons them self being able more for mariens then humans. (Since it says it dosen't matter if your SM or human. You just need other legion, human, or light power armour to power the weapon.)

I have not been able to find were the exact rules for humans useing legion weapons is located yet. Dose any form of power armour cancel out the negatives for useing legion weapons?

I definitely enjoy that humans may use sonic weaponry, and the idea of the iconic Slaaneshi weapon only being usable by male characters seems... horribly wrong. I agree with requiring either power armor or unnatural strength to use, but not as severe as the legion rules.

The rules for humans using Legion weapons are on pg. 166, and they already inlcude a class upgrade (so all the noise weapons would be Heavy under those rules).

The RAW, of course, is that you need power armor, but any kind of power armor will do.  If you were going to houserule in a version for non-power armor, I'd say have a backpack power supply (add 10kg, like the heavy flamer), make up a clip size before it needs to be recharged, and at least make it heavy, so it has to be braced (maybe a custom-built tripod that extends off of the backpack?).  I'd also bump the availability up a notch (to Unique/Near Unique). 

You could use the full Legion rules if you want to, but by putting a -20 on top of needing an exotic weapon proficiency on top of getting a rare weapon when you could be getting a plasma cannon, multi-melta, Hell Hammer lascannon, or autocannon, I feel like you're basically saying "Don't use this without power armor", at which point you could just use the RAW anyway.

Mijal said:

The RAW, of course, is that you need power armor, but any kind of power armor will do.  If you were going to houserule in a version for non-power armor, I'd say have a backpack power supply (add 10kg, like the heavy flamer), make up a clip size before it needs to be recharged, and at least make it heavy, so it has to be braced (maybe a custom-built tripod that extends off of the backpack?).  I'd also bump the availability up a notch (to Unique/Near Unique). 

I agree, this is probably the most balanced way to work this. Honestly, I think the most interesting part of this whole ordeal would be where a human would find someone to train him in the use of these weapons! That has great side quest potential.

Mijal said:

The rules for humans using Legion weapons are on pg. 166, and they already inlcude a class upgrade (so all the noise weapons would be Heavy under those rules).

You could use the full Legion rules if you want to, but by putting a -20 on top of needing an exotic weapon proficiency on top of getting a rare weapon when you could be getting a plasma cannon, multi-melta, Hell Hammer lascannon, or autocannon, I feel like you're basically saying "Don't use this without power armor", at which point you could just use the RAW anyway.

Thanks for the Page number! Helps alot. Kept missing that box when reading threw.

Yah. Also thanks for the sujestions of how to house rule. ^^