Sign in to follow this  
Gaztutts

Rank 2 and above

Hi all.

Just wondering if there is any ideas about releasing more rank based action cards? Figured their are for priests and wizards and I'm right in thinking slayers (?) but what about rank 2 + that any class can purchase?

I only ask because aside from completing a career and going into another one for new skills, there doesn;t appear to a be an increase in the weapon styles in anyway.

Is this deliberate or does it hint at a new expansion that caters for Rank 2 & 3's ?

Regards

Lorimez

It would be cool with more actions that require rank 2 or 3, but I don't think there will be a whole expansion for it. Seems to me that since you can only get a limited number of actions each rank you'll have a lot of interesting actions left when you have reached rank 2. Having a broader range of actions could be seen as an increase in weapon style for the character. Plus the fact that you can train your Weapon Skill again on your second rank, thus adding an extra yellow die to the attack rolls which gives you a better chance of success on your actions.

This far in our gaming group (soon rank 3) we've had no problem with the fact that none of the actions require levels. I feel that if there are actions labeled rank 2 or 3 which are better than the rank 1 actions, people would start purchasing rank 2 actions when they reached rank 2 and then they would stop using their rank 1 actions. When reaching rank 3 people would start over, buying the rank 3 actions and stop using the rank 2 actions. Would make advances spent on actions on lower ranks feel pointless/wasted.

It is funny that way.  You could house rule that certain ones like two weapon fighting, rapid fire, reckless cleave, and mighty blow (maybe troll feller strike too) should be Rank 2.  Some of the swordmaster ones are also pretty tough too.  Probably best to leave them for your sanity's-sake, but at least it's something to think about .

I think rank2/3/4 action cards will cause massive power creep with even small increases in success. I think you'd probably want to go rank 3+ for most (if an official product came out).  Then it would be rational.  I can just see rank 2 ones breaking the game though.

Funny though that they do have them for wizards, but not for the rest eh?

jh

Emirikol said:

jh

Its part of the reason it made me post - kinda get the feeling that they recognise that certain powers are more lethal than others. Could see a case for having rank 2 + action cards - but with bigger falls offs i.e. double bane = 3 fatigue etc.

Guess we'll just have to see what the future holds.

Thanks for posting.

Lorimez

Gaztutts said:

Emirikol said:

jh

Its part of the reason it made me post - kinda get the feeling that they recognise that certain powers are more lethal than others.

I think it's more fluff-related in a way. A more powerful wizard is supposed to be able to learn more powerful spells, the same goes for priests. For example it would be strange if a priestess of shallaya could buy cure insanity as an initiate, at rank 1.

For combat, well, higher rank = higher WS/BS, more action cards, etc and it's making the fighters more lethal as they climb the ranks (better successes, higher degree of successful actions, better defences, wider range of actions to fit different situations).

I think it would be hard to create rank 2/3 actions for "regular" fighing, or social actions for that matter. With wizards and priests it just makes more sense to me, the higher rank spells/blessings often do totally different things than the lower rank spells/blessings in the from the same order/faith, making the rank 1 cards useful even at rank 3. With melee/ranged actions that "balance" just seems a lot harder to achieve in my opinion. Maybe enhancement cards could have been rank 2/3 and the advanced defences as well (as they do totally different things than "just" damage).

I think I'd tend to agree with k7.  The power creep of spells /must/ be mecanical, whereas for simple combat, it shows up more potently simply in character power:  additional training in skills, higher ability scores, superior weapons/armor.

Where the theory would break is if spells are based upon both ability /and/ the power of the spell by successes. 

jh