Sign in to follow this  
Miah999

Rules Questions, and Answers from FFG.

First big thanks to FFG for getting these answers out, and to Adam should you go home it's like 10pm in your timezone, but thanks again.

1) "Can a Bonus Token replace a Special Object?"

Yes, there is nothing in the rules preventing this.

2) "Does the Trench Gun only do damage if you cannot move the target equal to the amount uncanceled successes, or does it do damage as on page 22 like a normal weapon?"

The trench gun does damage just like a normal weapon. The movement penalty produces additional automatic wounds that are added to any damage dealt as normal.

3) "Can Hoax be targeted by weapons, etc, that do not require Line of Sight, such as Doom, Patmos Amulet, Atheon, Sha-Na-Ra?"

While invisible, Hoax cannot be targeted by enemy characters. This includes abilities that can target characters out-of-path, such as Doom, Patmos Amulet, Atheon, and Sha-Na-Ra.

Well there you go I hope others are getting answers soon, and I hope this points to an updated FAQ soon.

Thanks again to Adam from FFG.

Thank you, Miah. happy.gif

Mr. Sadler answer to my other question (thank you too, Mr. Sadler):

Q: "If a grenade explodes into a circle that has got a rubble (token) yet, is new rubble token added, and movement penalty too, in the same circle?"

A: "If a circle already has rubble, a new rubble token is not added due to the grenade."

I’m really glad that several questions I sent in were answered too. I think that the answers concerning repairing destroyed Voivodes and the use of Challenge tokens are quite interesting.

Rule Question:
"I have several questions concerning Oksana and her tokens.
1. Lucifer states that Oksana can spend an action to activate a pair of Voivodes. Can she activate a single Voivode if its mate has been destroyed?"

Yes.
"2. The Voivode token F.A.S states that the Voivode can repair a character that can be repaired. Which characters can actually be repaired? Is repairing the same as dialing a health indicator up or isn't it? Can destroyed Voivodes be repaired?"

This is intended to repair destroyed voivodes, bringing them back into play.

"3. The rules concerning Challenge tokens state: "At any time during the game, a completed challenge token may be returned to the box to provide Oksana's team with 3 Command Points." Can I return the token at the start of the turn and use the 3 Points to introduce a reinforcement?"

Yes.
Here’s another question that has been discussed only a short time ago on this forum, and the answer is – let’s say unexpected.
Rule Question:
"Really a basic question: Ranged attacks with pistols or automatic weapons may only target characters sharing a path with the attacker, while melee attacks may target characters adjacent to the attacker even if they don't share a path with the attacker. Right or wrong? Also concerning melee attacks: When Eva Krämer uses Strafe to attack a target at range 2, can she attack a character that doesn't share a path with her?
Thank you for answering!"

A character may always attack an adjacent character, even if out-of-path. When attacking a non-adjacent character with Strafe, Eva must share a path with her target.

??! said:

Here’s another question that has been discussed only a short time ago on this forum, and the answer is – let’s say unexpected.

Rule Question:
"Really a basic question: Ranged attacks with pistols or automatic weapons may only target characters sharing a path with the attacker, while melee attacks may target characters adjacent to the attacker even if they don't share a path with the attacker. Right or wrong? Also concerning melee attacks: When Eva Krämer uses Strafe to attack a target at range 2, can she attack a character that doesn't share a path with her?

A character may always attack an adjacent character, even if out-of-path. When attacking a non-adjacent character with Strafe, Eva must share a path with her target.

Surely the bit in bold is just clarifying that you can always attack an adjacent charatcer using unarmed if all you have is a ranged weapon and the target isn't on your path - surely its not suggesting ranged weapons can attack off path adjacent targets?

pumpkin said:

??! said:

Rule Question:

Surely the bit in bold is just clarifying that you can always attack an adjacent charatcer using unarmed if all you have is a ranged weapon and the target isn't on your path - surely its not suggesting ranged weapons can attack off path adjacent targets?

I have to admit I don't know. If you read my question again you'll notice that I specifically asked about RANGED attacks and MELEE attacks and their legal targets. The answer just is about "attacks". Furthermore, there was a big discussion on this forum about melee attacks and line-of-sight. Peoples stated that line-of-sight was needed for melee attacks, the only exception being doors. So the answer is relevant even if it's only about melee attacks. But again, as the answer is worded, it's about all attacks!

??! said:

pumpkin said:

??! said:

Rule Question:

I have to admit I don't know. If you read my question again you'll notice that I specifically asked about RANGED attacks and MELEE attacks and their legal targets. The answer just is about "attacks". Furthermore, there was a big discussion on this forum about melee attacks and line-of-sight. Peoples stated that line-of-sight was needed for melee attacks, the only exception being doors. So the answer is relevant even if it's only about melee attacks. But again, as the answer is worded, it's about all attacks!

Yer, having re-read the rules thoroughly on this subject again now, it does seem al ittle unclear.

The sighting section does say that the only exception to the way sighting works is that hand to hand attacks can be made through doors, suggesting that all other attacks require LOS (although I can't find anywhere that explicitly states this.)

In attacks, it states that to attack a non-adjacent target you need a ranged weapon, but to attack adjacent there are not weapon trait requirements.

I haven't studied the maps recently but are there (m)any adjacent circles that are out of path, that aren't on either side of a door?

The maze has some that represent difference in elevation, but attacks can only go one way through those, don't they anyway?

pumpkin said:

??! said:

Rule Question:

I just posted in the other forum on "What is the advantage of Hand to Hand Weapons" earlier today, Once again the rules seem unclear- but sighting is necessary to use target, EXCEPT hand to hand attacks which may target past doors- which we've taken to be any adjacent circle that doesn't share a path.  Whether or not this is cleared up, I feel this captures the feel best and also gives melee a -situational- advantage, which feels right.

OMG I JUST FIGURED OUT HOW TO LINK IN FORUM POSTS! -sorry just a little excited there-

Got a few answers too. Here they are:

Q:  The Trench gun states, that if the attacked character cannot be moved, it sustaines wounds. Is it possible to use one of your characters to block, by standing behind the target, assuring the wounds??"

Yes, this is a viable strategy.

Q  "If the Patmos amulet is used to control a character on overwatch, is the overwatch lost??"

No, overwatch is not lost when affected by the Patmos amulet.

In case anyone else wondered about this :)

I know these questions and answers are somewhat older and I already posted them in a topic concerning Zor'ka, but I just found them again and and now post them here to have all questions and official answers in one place.

Rule Question:
1) When using the revised rules, is Zor'ka still immune to her own Magnifier attacks?
2) Does the Masque of Samhain (Asteros bonus token) also works if the charakter is targeted by a counterattack?
3) Zor'ka is equipped with her Command Pack including Presence ("You may not be targeted by Mental Duels."). She also is given the Masque of Samhain (She needs to be defeated in a Mental Duel before she may be targeted by an attack). Is it now possible to attack her at all?

As with all of our rulings, we will try to address them in the next
FAQ update. So for now, the following rulings are subject to change if
the FAQ differs.
1. Zor'ka and Voïvodes are all immune to the Magnifier attacks.
2. If the Character wearing the Mask of Samhain attacks another
character, they may be targeted by a counterattack.
3. Mask of Samhain should read: This bonus token may not be equipped
by characters with the "-" null Mental value.

More answers.

question 1. The Smiljan-B Coil and Prime Directive O says "If Oksana is adjacent to at least one Voivode when she suffers one or more wounds, she may ignore one wound for each Voivode she is adjacent to" does this include the ability to neglect automatic wounds?

question 2.The tesla coil deals one automatic attack succes when it's owner is dealt on or more wounds, my question is if that hit can be combined with a counter-attack or if it and the counter-attack gets seperat shock-rolls. If it gets seperat shock-rolls I don't see any point with this pice of equipment.

question 3. If Oksana and Irishka are on the same team and Irishka have the command pack equipped, dose her smiljan coil turn into a smiljan-b coil and prime directive 0?

question 4. Prime Directive "0" is: If Oksana is adjacent to at least one Voivode when she suffers one or more wounds, she may ignore one wound for each Voivode she is adjacent to.

answer 1. Automatic Wound may not be blocked by a Shock Roll. But you may cancel them with Voivodes adjacent to Oksana.

answer 2. Yes. The character will need to take a Shock roll for the single automatic attack success made by the Tesla Coil. If they suffer any wounds they will need to take a shock roll to cancel those, too. The Tesla coil provides that free attack success. If it goes through it may cause your opponent to spend one of their Command Points or suffer a wound, which will make it more likely you'll harm them with the counter-attack easier.

answer 3. Smiljan-B (on page 5 of Oksana's rulebook) should read:
Add an additional die to all of your attack rolls for every Smiljan Coil on your path, not including yourself. (This may be a Smiljan Coil or a Smiljan-B coil.)

Prime Directive "0" is: If Oksana is adjacent to at least one Voivode when she suffers one or more wounds, she may ignore one wound for each Voivode she is adjacent to.

answer 4. A pair of Voivodes would together be the Leader. If one of them activates a location, that Voivode's activation ends. The second Voivode may still activate, but may not also activate the space and score a point.
I hop that answers your question. Have fun!

Good stuff Miah ... there are, as you say on your blog, one or two inconsistencies which we can discuss and sort out later.  But even so a great start

Thanks

-Nhoj

18: Does Supernatural Strength also apply to Ranged Attacks?
Answer: Supernatural Strength applies to all attacks.

19: Can I use Extra Ammunition with Hand-to-Hand attacks?
Answer: Yes.

I'm still baffled by these two answers. I guess I'll never play them like that, it's so... illogical.

Here's the official answer on Flame grenade (see also the topic concerning Flame grenades):

The flame grenade does not produce smoke or limit line of sight like a normal smoke grenade. The fire effect replaces the smoke effect. The only way it functions like a smoke grenade is the way it is thrown by a character.

And of corse thanks to everybody who posted questions and answers here and special thanks to Miah999 for collecting everything in one place. Great!

Answers from Adam Sadler, received the 17th of september:

His words are bold.

Q: Hand-to-hand weapons are useless if you are also equipped with a ranged weapon. However, Wolf and Brown for example have such redundant equipment. Isn't there a design issue here?

A : Hand-to-hand weapons are still useful when performing a free melee attack, such as after a failed bull rush. In addition, Barry Daniel Brown cannot launch an overwatch attack with his Flash Machine Gun A6A because of the Heavy trait, but he can use his knife for an overwatch attack.

Q : Smoke Grenade rules: "Any character standing on a circle filled with smoke can only attack targets in adjacent circles"
From the FAQ:
"Q: How do Grenades interact with Smoke Grenades?
A: If a character is on a path under the effects of smoke, he may only target adjacent circles for his grenade."

But when you throw a grenade you are not making an attack.

A : This is correct. Throwing a grenade does not constitute making an attack so it would not be affected by the smoke grenade. The FAQ will be update to reflect this.

Q : Additionally it seems it was ruled that Doom ignores smoke for the reason that it "does not require LOS". Doom is an attack, and it requires a target. According to smoke rules, it should not ignore smoke. Smoke rules do not talk about LOS.

A : Doom does not ignore smoke.

Q : Can you field 4 voïvodes with Oksana. We don't find that the rules are clear enough and both interpretations (2 or 4) seem possible.

Yes, you can field 4 Voivodes with Oksana. However, this would replace both Troopers on that team.

Q : Ramirez' Weapon (Mark 19 Mod A1). When it attacks, does it count as "targeting" models he rolls against (for the purpose of effects requiring a Mental Duel before targeting, such as the Masque of Samhain)? On the same token, can you make a Counter attack with this weapon? Can it be used while affected by Patmos Amulet?

If the chosen circle contains a character, then it counts as targeting that character. You can launch a counterattack with the Mark 19 Mod A1 and it can be used while affected by the Patmos Amulet.

Q : Heïzinger's Hermetica Occulta. "A given character may only initiate this mental duel once per activation. This duel must be fought each time a character wishes to enter into a circle on your path". Suppose a model starts its activation in the middle of Heïzinger's path. In order to move, do you need to win a duel (you are already in Hermann's path? If the answer is that you have to win the duel, and you if you lose it, then you cannot move, right? If you win the duel, you may go wherever you want, right?

A character may move to a circle on a different path if able because he only needs to test if he enters a circle on Von Heizinger’s path.

Q : The fire grenade from Commando Delta's Command pack. "Each time a character enters a circle on the same path as a Fire token, he sufffers three Automatic Successes." Is that for each circle or only once where you enters an on fire path ? It looks like it's on each circle but, for example, if I am not wrong, you only make one mental duel against Hermann's Hermetica Occulta for the whole path, and it has the same "once per circle" wording (seen question 5).

A character suffers three automatic successes for each circle he moves into.

Q : Oksana's voïvode make take the F.A.S. equipment, which reads: "This Voïvode may repair any adjacent character that can be repaired." It does not say it requires the voïvode's action. So it is free? Is it a once per activation thing?

The F.A.S requires an action to perform. This will be added to the FAQ.

Yeah, some more contradictions, I really hope they're working on that new FAQ.

I'll add these to my blog later tonight, and then I'm going to print them all out and try to see what's what.

Plageman said:

18: Does Supernatural Strength also apply to Ranged Attacks?
Answer: Supernatural Strength applies to all attacks.

I'm still baffled by these two answers. I guess I'll never play them like that, it's so... illogical.

I Agree on extra ammunition, but the Supernatural Strength depends on how you consider the word Strength, if its literal, only muscle power i agree with you, but lets say that the combat skill can be interpreted not only as pure muscle, but some willpower and other factors too, so i can see it working with all kinds of attacks, since it represent the combat value for me and not just muscle of the character.