Sign in to follow this  
venkelos

Influencing the Imperial Guard

So, I am looking through my Ascension book, and I am wondering how something might work. Say I am playing Inquisitor Lamaal and Cadre (Inf 60) with Good Rep (IG) [+20], and maybe Conciliator or Renowned Warrior, either of which could get me a re-roll for such a check. Now, say the fit has hit the shan, and there is a group of heretic cultists holed up in a reinforced structure. Now, if I wanted to go get some stuff from the present Cadian Shocktroops in this area (say they are there), do I just have to beat the Commander (maybe an Inf 30, and boss him around, to get use of his men and tanks, or do I have to find the unit of men, and do it this way:

Lamaal (Inf 60, +20 for Good Rep with IG) needs 1 Platoon (-20) of Guardsmen (rare; -10) for this mission (+20) =70, and roll under that?

Say I decided I needed the use of an artillery battery, maybe a couple Basilisks or Manicores, to soften up that building. Could I just roll against the Commander, and let him deal with the details, or do I have to figure out the details for the tanks, their crews, and such, and check for each?

Hi,

I think that it is not an opposed roll vs. the Commander but a roll to acquire the troops for this mission (your example in the middle of your post). In regard
to the Manticore, your GM might asigne some other modifieres beside "rarity"...like an additional -10 or -20 if the artillery is actually needed else where.

As the soldiers present have a lower Influence than 40 your Inquisitor would auto-win if he´d pull out his Rosette, unveil his status, and started to give commands. Yes - this is the power of the Inquisition.

There is no bargaining or discussion. If an Inquisitor commands a soldier the only result is doing it or die trying. These guys are so much lower on the totem pole they literally dont play the same game.

Whichever way is more fun.  I would say beat the commander at the check, after some roll playing between yourself and him.  If you reveal yourself as an Inquisitor and ask for these resources the situation would have to be pretty hairy for the commander not to hand them over anyway - you *are* the left hand of the Emperor - may we forever bask in the glory of his light - after all.  In all but dealing with very important people with huge egos, or making ridiculous requests when resources are already being stretched too thing, an Inquisitor should be able to get what he needs from most people in most situations.  He does, after all, have the full authority to declare your refusal heretical and execute you right then and there if you stand in his way. (and the simply knowledge that he could do such a thing opens many doors for fear of him demonstrating that authority) 

Most importantly, anytime you can avoid making a bunch of rolls in game, but instead represent what those rolls mean through rp, go that direction instead.

Although I'm  not running an Ascension level campiagn yet, I only plan to have my player roll there influence if they are trying to be subtle about it or it's a long range request.  Take your example with the cadian's, if you are trying to get them to attack the building in full force without actually going in yourself, then your influence roll is to get the relevant orders sent down from above, it could even be sent down as

Commander <insert name>

Your troops have been stationed away from combat too long.

I have arranged a targeted test for your men.

Target location

The target location is to be secured in as fast a time as possible.

Eyes will be watching

praise to the Empourer

<from whomever>

Commander no witness' to this op.........

or something along those lines.