Sign in to follow this  
Casba69

Rule clarifaction on using pistols in melee

Yeah, I hadn't noticed the erratum on the Sunfury until andrewm9 mentioned it. That does make a pretty significant difference.

However, surely even with a 64% dodge skill you only have a 1/3 chance to get three degrees of success - hardly reliable. I also hadn't realised that you can do dual-wield bursts, which is a bit scary - I guess with gunslinger and ambidextrous you'd be talking about a pretty scary number of hits on average, and you aren't likely to dodge them all. The fact that the pistol hits will be comparatively sucky compared with a decent melee weapon makes up for it, though.

Not sure about the multiple parries - surely if I parry your gun just before you squeeze the trigger then I end up parrying multiple shots. If I parry it a fraction of a second too late, then I either miss parrying altogether, or end up parrying some but not all of the shots.

I haven't made my mind up yet, fortunately combat isn't a major part of my campaign. Though this will come up eventually, I'm sure.

I'm not that experienced in the game but it is pretty obvious to me that if you use ful or semi-auto in melee, it is still a full-action meaning that you only get the pistol attack adn nothing else.  No movement, no other hand melee attacks, no bonuses from guarded attack, etc etc.  Nothing else.

The only time the -20 for shooting into melee would count is if the guy you are shooting is in melee with someone other than the shooter.

Just because you think you know how the rule works does not give you the right to berate others.  Identify the source of your rules and point them out.  Don't waste time being sarcastic, it only detracts from the discussion.  Especially when the first person stated he was unfamiliar with the rules, and the others who've disagreed with you asked politely for page references.

Lieuallen said:

I'm not that experienced in the game but it is pretty obvious to me that if you use ful or semi-auto in melee, it is still a full-action meaning that you only get the pistol attack adn nothing else.  No movement, no other hand melee attacks, no bonuses from guarded attack, etc etc.  Nothing else.

The only time the -20 for shooting into melee would count is if the guy you are shooting is in melee with someone other than the shooter.

Just because you think you know how the rule works does not give you the right to berate others.  Identify the source of your rules and point them out.  Don't waste time being sarcastic, it only detracts from the discussion.  Especially when the first person stated he was unfamiliar with the rules, and the others who've disagreed with you asked politely for page references.

Huh?! Who's berating? Sounded fairly civil to me.

Lieuallen said:

Only if you don't read the first page or two.

Sorry I didnt see you quoting anyone so I wasnt sure who you were addressing. Try hitting the quote option after someone's reply so you can be more specific. Thanks.

Yeah, it's gotten a little bit heated but hardly anything I'd consider berating.  If there was berating going on earlier in the thread it has certainly died down now and there's really no reason to dredge up that part of the discussion again.  We've moved on.  happy.gif

The funny thing is that despite my total support for using parry to avoid pistol shots in melee, I have yet to actually introduce such a rule into my game.  My players love their melee weapons and until such a time that they begin to neglect them in favor of handguns, I see no reason to use such an option.