Sign in to follow this  
snufkin2

The Imperial Infantrymans uplifting Primer

In my opinion it's one of the best in-character books for wh40k. it represents the soldiers primer issued to every imperial guardsman and contains, among other things, a field guide to imperial guard organisation, procedures etc. Its 6 main chapters deal with Principles and regulations, issued Items&equipment, IG organisation &Basic Battlefield Operations, an Amour&Tank Recognition Guide, a Chapter titled "Know your foe" with some very interesting examples of imperial propaganda and one about Battlefield Medical intsruction. Afurthermore, one last part (neatly set apart with differently coloured pages) details the Benedictions of the Emperro, Inspirationa Sources (like short bios of imperial saints) and the Uplifting Creeds for all Soldiers (which are prayers to be recited in certain situations, like when under artillery fire, cleaning/repairing weapons, chants for accuracy etc).

I really like the book and all the little detais contained within its pages.

Good read. Love the section on knowing the enemy, it is flagrant prpoganda that only a moron would believe. Brilliant.

Awaiting the Munitorum Manual, more in a similar vain. I think GW/ BL should make more of these. Especially with DH out now.

Have both the Imperial Infantryman's Uplifting Primer and the Munitorium Manual and both are excellent reads, with lots of propoganda but also useful advice on how to deal with situations that might pop up in a DH session.

Recommend both, they're worth it.

Just in case you wasn't already aware, there is in fact two versions (That i'm aware of) of the Primer, One is a standard version, and there is the special "Damacles Gulf" version that was issued to Guardsman fighting against the Tau.

Shockwave said:

Just in case you wasn't already aware, there is in fact two versions (That i'm aware of) of the Primer, One is a standard version, and there is the special "Damacles Gulf" version that was issued to Guardsman fighting against the Tau.

I managed to get the damocles gulf primer from a friend who used to play TT, what's the difference?

And yes, it's a good read. Any player with a character from the imperial guard should read it and keep it handy for doing in character stuff. It can be a slightly dangerous book to posess, any guardsman who stormed genestealers or orks with the primers "puny claws" and "inferior strenght" in mind will tell you that. 

I was not aware of the second version.

But to be honest, (although I love the primer!) I must say that version does need an..update. (against all current enemies for instance) Personally I'd like a little more reading material, and more explanation, albiet distorted and broken ala the Imperium. I know that's boring to some, but adding several pages of 'ffluff' is nice. Especially if it explains something subtely.

But I do love the propaganada parts as everyone else does. Makes you feel like you're reading something real, to get a good grasp just what the kind of thinking one should have in such a war torn galaxy. I keep that for my guardsman character and soemtimes just read a page to get in that frame of mind.

I'd like to see some other things though for say, the psykana, the Factoriums, assasins houses, laws of the arbitas etc. Things to get all the aspects of the Imperiums workings in a glimpse with that 'character' frame of reference in mind. Maybe BL would do something like that?

Ill tell you it is very very similar to the US Army Smart Book, which is basic the guide book troops get in basic training. It has stuff like that, such as dangeorus and poisonous animals and plants. First aid. Tracking, land navigation and a lot of the stuff in the IIUP is very accurate or at least a very good imitation of a real manual.

I occassionally break it out at work and give a class to my troops on it on our more lighthearted days at the office.

If your character is a Guardsman, you'll want this book. EXCELLENT player aid.

My favourite quote:

"If you find yourself blown out of a hull breach into space, remember these instructions: hold your breath; turn on your emergency light; recite the Litany of the Vacuum; kick your legs and swing your arms in a swimming motion towards the breach to propel yourself back to the ship; wait for rescue teams to locate you and bring you safely back on board."

partido_risa.gif

Oh and of course: "BEWARE THE TAU - They'll sacrifice your babies to their gods!"

Note that "damocles gulf edition" is just a reprint with a few minor updates.  It use to be 1st ed sold for $40+ on ebay, and the like.  Now it's questionabe if you could sell 1st ed for list price of 2nd edition.  You can easily tell which version by the presence of "damocles gulf edition" imprint on the front cover.

A fantastic little book and an essential purchase IMHO.

Our cleric used it as a source of ideas when writing prayers and hymns and I let the Guardsman in teh group refer to it at any time in game seeing as his character carries a copy.

The munitorium manual is also fab - and I think you can still down load all of the requisition forms in the book from the Black Library website. Great to hand out in game when players damage gear or try to requisition items.

snufkin said:

Sounds great! Do you think black library will make any more like this? I'd love to see a tech-priest manual...

I'd sell my soul for one...no wait errr never mind. I think that such a manual would be way too large if you'd want to include even the basics and if they'd ever make it the price would be ridiculous. I would buy it but I don't think they would take the chance.

I've got the Imperial Infantryman's Uplifting Primer (the first black cover edition, Damocles gulf is grey-blueish and includes Tau) and the Munitorium Manual and they are used frequently in my games of Dark Heresy. Two guys who play a psyker and a cleric use the pink prayers section in the back of the Primer.
And yes the Munitorum Manual is very cool for when players want to requisition items.