Sign in to follow this  
Javlynn

New Ship - Strife Class

As I mentioned on the main forum I am writing a campaign (slowly).  Originally I had intended for the macguffin to be found in a wreck but as I kept thinking about it I realized how it would be cool to get a unique class of ship out of it (if the players are clever enough).  Think of a chaos cruiser with the forward weapons batteries cult in half, what left replaced with cargo space and stripped of a chunk of armor but boosted in speed.  That was basically my idea for the Strife-Class, herald of the Imperium.  Here is the alpha of the rules, I will post them on the voidship forums as well when it's not 3am herehappy.gif.

Strife Class Fast Cruiser
Dimensions: 4.4 km long, 0.7 abeam at fins approx.
Crew: 70000 crew approx.
Accel: 4.4 gravities max sustainable acceleration

First commissioned by the Emperor himself to pave the way for the coming of the Imperium, the Strife class ships are ancient relicts from the founding of the Great Crusade. Strife class ships were intended to herald the Imperium across the galaxy, and in this role it excelled. The ships of this class flew out into the depths of space using ancient maps of pre-fall human civilization to worlds that had been centers of human society. In this of many ways the Pax Imperialis was spread to the far corners of the galaxy. The galaxy though is a harsh place and most of these vessels never returned from their mission. Those few that remained were found to be under-armored and under-gunned compaired to the ships of the expedition fleets, though only the Slaughter-class combined with the famed Scartix Coil matched their speed. Production soon stopped on the class and it joined the annals of history. No ships of this proud class are believed to have survived to current times. Although rumors abound that one still flys through the deep black bringing the words of the God Emperor to long lost worlds, much to the chagrin of the Inquisition and the Ecclesiarchy. Still, lost and forgotten hulls from mankinds past are found adrift, crashed, or worse and rebuilt to serve again. In such a way a few of this noble class brave the stars once more.

Speed: 9            Manoeuvrability: +18
Detection: +15   Hull Integrity: 64
Armour: 17        Turret Rating: 2
Space: 60           SP: 70

Weapon Capacity: 1 Prow, 1 Port, 1 Starboard, 1 Dorsal, 1 Keel
(Of these the keel slot comes pre-equipped with a component)

Carrier: The Strife-class cruiser comes pre-equipped with one Keel Jovian-pattern Landing Bay component. The hull's space has already been reduced to account for this; however, when the ship is constructed it must be able to provide one Power to the Landing Bay component. This bay was originally for transporting emissaries of the flegling Imperium and their supplies to the surface rediscovered worlds, most Rogue Traders have other uses for it though.

Cargo Hauler: Unlike most cruisers the forward portion of the hull in Strife-class ships was used to transport equipment to build bases and outposts for the early Imperium. Strife-cass ships come pre-equipped with one Main Cargo Hold component. The hull's space has already been reduced to account for this; however, when the ship is constructed it must be able to provide two Power for this component.

Lost to Antiquity: This class is long lost to the tides of history, it's design lost in the chaos of the Horus Heresy. This vessel cannot be purchased ingame, in such an instance it should be the focus of a greater endeavor or more. If aquired at the begining of the game this ship comes preequipped with one archeotech component.

Rigged for speed: The Strife-class ships were designed for speed above armor, as such most armor added to the vessel slows it down. Components that add armor reduce that ships speed by one for each four points of total armor added (fore/aft/port/starboard) to a minimum of 6 speed. Armor Plating adds one to each area and Armored Prow adds four armor to the fore of the ship, each of these reduce speed by one. Excess Void Armor adds three to each area and thus reduces speed by 3!

As I said this is an alpha of the ship, I am thinking of combining Cargo Hauler and Carrier into one ability as a special component.  Questions, comments, concerns.

Well, you've succeeded in making a mighty powerful ship! Myself, I would prefer something a little more durable, willing to sacrifice speed for armor, but there's something to be said for cruiser firepower with raider speed! I like the concept behind the ship, and the fact that it comes with a free cargo hold and landing bay is certainly a plus. You've inspired me to create my own "alpha-type" warship as well!

Seems a bit too strong actually. If I used the ship I'd reduce the Armor by 1 and the Prow Weapon Slot. Other than that it's a decent idea and if you're going to have fun using it, go ahead! The SP cost is very balanced though.

The maneuverability is too high for a full cruiser.  All the Chaos cruisers in BFK have a maneuverability of +5.  +18 is something I'd expect to see on a raider.  Knock that down to maybe +8, and I think you've got it.  Otherwise, good job.

Cheers,

- V.

Sorry I have been away so long, the Muses left me for a while.  Next time I'll use duck tape on 'em gran_risa.gif.  I have cut the manoeuvrability down to 12, trimmed out one point of armor, and lowered the speed cap in Rigged for Speed to 5.  Since I am not going to drop the SP cost I'll consider this the final version.  Oh and Bandersnatch you might like the next ship I have come up with.

Strife Class Fast Cruiser
Dimensions: 4.4 km long, 0.7 abeam at fins approx.
Crew: 70000 crew approx.
Accel: 4.4 gravities max sustainable acceleration

First commissioned by the Emperor himself to pave the way for the coming of the Imperium, the Strife class ships are ancient relicts from the founding of the Great Crusade. Strife class ships were intended to herald the Imperium across the galaxy, and in this role it excelled. The ships of this class flew out into the depths of space using ancient maps of pre-fall human civilization to worlds that had been centers of human society. In this of many ways the Pax Imperialis was spread to the far corners of the galaxy. The galaxy though is a harsh place and most of these vessels never returned from their mission. Those few that remained were found to be under-armored and under-gunned compaired to the ships of the expedition fleets, though only the Slaughter-class combined with the famed Scartix Coil matched their speed. Production soon stopped on the class and it joined the annals of history. No ships of this proud class are believed to have survived to current times. Although rumors abound that one still flys through the deep black bringing the words of the God Emperor to long lost worlds, much to the chagrin of the Inquisition and the Ecclesiarchy. Still, lost and forgotten hulls from mankinds past are found adrift, crashed, or worse and rebuilt to serve again. In such a way a few of this noble class brave the stars once more.

Speed: 9               Manoeuvrability: +12
Detection: +15    Hull Integrity: 64
Armour: 16          Turret Rating: 2
Space: 60            SP: 70

Weapon Capacity: 1 Prow, 1 Port, 1 Starboard, 1 Dorsal, 1 Keel
(Of these the keel slot comes pre-equipped with a component)

Carrier: The Strife-class cruiser comes pre-equipped with one Keel Jovian-pattern Landing Bay component. The hull's space has already been reduced to account for this; however, when the ship is constructed it must be able to provide one Power to the Landing Bay component. This bay was originally for transporting emissaries of the flegling Imperium and their supplies to the surface rediscovered worlds, most Rogue Traders have other uses for it though.

Cargo Hauler: Unlike most cruisers the forward portion of the hull in Strife-class ships was used to transport equipment to build bases and outposts for the early Imperium. Strife-cass ships come pre-equipped with one Main Cargo Hold component. The hull's space has already been reduced to account for this; however, when the ship is constructed it must be able to provide two Power for this component.

Lost to Antiquity: This class is long lost to the tides of history, it's design lost in the chaos of the Horus Heresy. This vessel cannot be purchased ingame, in such an instance it should be the focus of a greater endeavor or more. If aquired at the begining of the game this ship comes preequipped with one archeotech component.

Rigged for Speed: The Strife-class ships were designed for speed above all else, as such most armor added to the vessel slows it down. Components that add armor reduce that ships speed by one for each four points of total armor added (fore/aft/port/starboard) to a minimum of 5 speed. Armor Plating adds one to each area and Armored Prow adds four armor to the fore of the ship, each of these reduce speed by one. Excess Void Armor adds three to each area and thus reduces speed by 3! These same modifications also make it impossable to mount a Nova Cannon.