Sign in to follow this  
Stalin

Does anyone have the Litko accessories for Arkham Horror? If so, are they good?

I'm talking about the Elder Sign markers, the gate holders and the monster bases.  They look very interesting and I've been wanting to make other things "3D" since the Investigator miniatures came out.  However, their instructions for the monster markers ask that I "bend slightly" the monster tokens.  That is an infamia if it will crease the token!!!  I keep my cards in sleeves and have bigger ones for the investigator sheets, Old Ones, heralds, etc.

Do I really have to bend the monster tokens?  Are the Litko accessories worth it?

Comrade Stalin

I have the Elder Sign markers and they are good. Much larger than the doom tokens (about Gate size). They make the seals feel more significant and easier to see progress at a glance.

I also have the plastic stands for displaying the minatures and the original cardboard pieces together, which work well if you want to use both (not everyone does).

I have avoided the gate holders, which look a bit fiddly and obscure some of the info and the monster token holders after hearning about having to bend the tokens and distressing tales of counter rippage.

I have some home made monster token holders (made with a 3D printer) that work well and am still looking for some good gate holders- there have been a couple of designs I have liked on BGG but neither of them have been made available for sale.

I too bought the Elder Sign markers, and they are fantastic!  Very visible (especially catching the light from the overhead chandelier) and heavy enough to avoid displacement.  (Make sure you have a white crayon!)

I bought the Gate Holders as well, and everyone loves them too.  You will have to glue them together yourself (I bought the adhesive that Litko recommends), but once they're finished, they're really solid.  BUT...it turns out that they're better when used BACKWARDS.  The clear semi-circle "backing" doesn't obscure important Gate information like the green tentacles do, but it doesn't lessen the effect to have the tentacles emerging from behind the Gate anyway.  I think it adds a somewhat 3-D effect to the Gate.

I refuse to buy the Monster or Investigator Holders for the same fear of cardboard damage.  Instead, I have all the Investigator miniatures, and I have a bunch of plastic stands for the monsters: similar to the ORIGINAL FFG stands, not the new "figure 8s" with TEETH, bought in bulk by the hundreds from Coltsfan, a Great Old One of AH.  Go visit him on Board Game Geek; I understand he just opened another round of Custom AH Dice of the "Normal-Blessed-Cursed" variety from Chessex.

jgt7771 said:

I refuse to buy the Monster or Investigator Holders for the same fear of cardboard damage.  Instead, I have all the Investigator miniatures, and I have a bunch of plastic stands for the monsters: similar to the ORIGINAL FFG stands, not the new "figure 8s" with TEETH, bought in bulk by the hundreds from Coltsfan, a Great Old One of AH.  Go visit him on Board Game Geek; I understand he just opened another round of Custom AH Dice of the "Normal-Blessed-Cursed" variety from Chessex.

Hey, I hate to be dense, but can you be more specific as to where you got those monster token holders? I tried to do a user search on BGG for coltsfan and couldn't find him. I would love to get some of those token holders though.

Thanks!

I agree with everyone else that the Elder Sign markers are great. If you buy nothing else you should get these.

I have the black gate style holders and they once glued they are very nice. They don't seem to hide the info on the gate marker like the other version does.

The investigator holders for the minis do not bend the investigator tombstone at all. I can't seem to get my minis to fit in these holders secure so I haven't used them much. The tombstone and mini together is a nice look.

I have been tempted to get the monster holders but have heard the rumors that they bend the monsters counters but have never found anyone who has actually tried them.

I picked up some of the monster holders. They do bend the cards a little to hold them in place, but not enough to damage them, in my opinion. Personally, I like em and it makes the monster cards much more visible.

I own the Elder Signs as well as the iron gate holders and the tentacle gate holders.  I use the tentacle gate holders for Moving Gates, and the iron ones for static gates.  I like 'em, though the etching on my elder signs are a bit off centre.  I can't actually imagine that there would be worse monster holders than the ones that come with the game.  I have all kinds of monster tokens that have been torn or creased by the FFG holders.  Really annoying.  Does anyone have something that works better? 

Zozimus said:

I own the Elder Signs as well as the iron gate holders and the tentacle gate holders.  I use the tentacle gate holders for Moving Gates, and the iron ones for static gates.  I like 'em, though the etching on my elder signs are a bit off centre.  I can't actually imagine that there would be worse monster holders than the ones that come with the game.  I have all kinds of monster tokens that have been torn or creased by the FFG holders.  Really annoying.  Does anyone have something that works better? 

Lots of people on BBG recommend these:

http://www.rolcogames.com/product.php?id=83&catid=9

They supposedly don't chew up the monster chits at all.

ShadyClip said:

Lots of people on BBG recommend these: 

http://www.rolcogames.com/product.php?id=83&catid=9

They supposedly don't chew up the monster chits at all.

Hey, thanks!  I actually have a bunch of those.  Never occurred to me to use them for cardboard pieces (I use them for cards, like the Environment cards, that would otherwise fade into the board and be forgotten).  I also use them in Talisman so I can see my spells and remember to use 'em!  :)

Cheers!