Sign in to follow this  
Javlynn

Pax Imperialis?

I have been trying to write up a campaign I've been thinking of and have run into a problem.  What exactly is the Pax Imperialis?  I know it is the laws the Emperor set out when founding the Imperium, but everything I have read suggests that those laws forbid religion and things like the warp (how one forbids the warp is questionable).  The Pax Imperialis that the Emperor sent out and what it has become is central to my idea for the campaign.  So what is this document that founded so much strife in the Imperium?

I'm not sure its a document, wasn't it just an all-encompassing term for the reign of the Imperium of Man, literally the "Imperial Peace" ?

The laws are held in written form as the Lex Imperialis, although they've obviously changed a lot in the 41st milenium, and the Arbites enforce them now.

The Emperor's original intention (as far as we know it) was to bring about an age of unity and enlightement - hence his drawing worlds into "compliance". This served a dual purpose - reuniting the worlds lost since the diaspora, and stamping out religion and superstition. The Emperor was pushing for an entirely secular Imperium, presumably to weaken the influence of Chaos - removing religion and superstition diminishes the effectiveness of cults simply because people wouldn't believe in them.

I don't recall him banning the Warp - he did put a ban on Warp sorcery via the Council of Nicea, but this was a late revision - he'd allowed the study of Warp phenomena and the existence of the Librarian program until the Thousand Sons' activities gave him cause for concern.

My basic idea for the campaign is that they players will find a ship lost at the beginning of the Great Crusade bearing at least part of the Emperor's original declaration of reunification.  I assumed it was called "The Pax Imperialis".  Was this actually the "Lex Imperia" or something else?

Lex Imperialis is the book of Laws

Pax Imperialis is what the Lex Imperialis hopes to accomplish: a Galaxy Wide Imperial peace (a la Pax romana back with the romans) where, without wars to wadge and fight, the Imperium can grow culturally, mentaly and such; to attain a certain 'plateau', a hight where they would be abel to progress forward....but since there's Barbarians at the gate every time in the Imperium, it is more an objective to obtain than reality (my opinion )

I'm not sure that the Emperor made a written declaration of principles, but you could still keep your idea - maybe have it as a document prepared by Malcador The Sigilite, and call it the Codex Imperialis or something - or if you wanted a distorted version venerating the Emperor's divinity, make it something written by Lorgar before his fall? The Aurelian Codex?

I'd go with Malcador then, he pretty much founded the Administratum (not to mention the Inquisition at the dawn of the Heresy).

As an aside, the Astartes don't worship the Emperor as a divinity either, just as their progenitor and ultimate exemplar of humanity - even in the 41st millennium.  If you really want to put the cat amongst the pigeons, have your document be a standard operations manual for adjudicating Compliance, and have it written by a codicier for the Ultramarines or the Imperial Fists at the beginnings of the Great Crusade.

what problem make some copys sell too a groep of priests. as lost relic and sit back as civel war breaks out (oh make sure nobody knows it was you that sold it too them) and sell guns too all sides. war profits will sore. and nobody will look at whatever it is your doing becaus they will be far too busy

I like the idea of a Codex Imperialis transcribed by Malcador under orders from the Emperor.  It's something that could be sent out so worlds found by the Crusade fleets and scout ships could understand the standards that the new Imperium would hold them to, not that all of them would willingly accept of course.  It also would be a holy document in the eye's of the Ecclesiarchy, and that is something they would hold as being in their domain and their domain alone.  And you know, they are slightly protective of that domaingui%C3%B1o.gif.

While Pax Imperialis means literally "Imperial Peace", just like Pax Brittania and Pax Romana mean Brittish peace and Roman peace respectively. However, the EXTREMELY heavy subtext attached to all of those phrases is that the empire is at peace because all possible enemies have already been conquered and/or forced to submit (or in the Imperium's case, exterminated).

Javlynn said:

It also would be a holy document in the eye's of the Ecclesiarchy, and that is something they would hold as being in their domain and their domain alone.  And you know, they are slightly protective of that domaingui%C3%B1o.gif.

Dunno about holy - its more likely to end up locked away in the Ecclesiarchy's equivalent of the Vatican Z Collection, like every other piece of evidence that threatens the underpinnings of their faith (and power structure) that they haven't just burned outright. gran_risa.gif

And redhead222 - spoken like a true Rogue Trader!

InfinityDoctor said:

Dunno about holy - its more likely to end up locked away in the Ecclesiarchy's equivalent of the Vatican Z Collection, like every other piece of evidence that threatens the underpinnings of their faith (and power structure) that they haven't just burned outright. gran_risa.gif

And redhead222 - spoken like a true Rogue Trader!

If it was written by Malcador based on the direct teachings of the Emperor then I think they would consider it holy. You are correct though in how they would treat it, and those who know of it, and that is what I needed.  The Ecclesiarchy holds that it and it alone has the right to interpret the will of the Emperor.  This would be a document written by one of the Emperor's closest advisors staiting the original will and intent of the Emperor.  It would be a direct challenge to their authority and they would have to remove it as you said.  And thus we have the problem for the players.  How do they stay alive and make profit from such a dangerous Imperial secret.gran_risa.gif

with what i said sell it covert like with 2nd or 3th partys and sit back and watch the fallout if any and make a profit on it.

and hey the the church don`t want it i`m sure other groeps would love too have it too rub it in the church there face`s say somebody like the adminitratum or maybe even the adeptus arbitus just too name 2

the e is big becaus big E is big but there (relativly) new so the others don`t always play nice an e is always shoving there weight around where the others don`t want them too.

that suposed tekst from the right(or what it the left) hand man of the emperor himself thats going too shake something up back on old terra when it gets there

Two things worth noting, IMO.

Firstly, the modern Imperium arguably owes more to the rebuilding led by Roboute Guilliman in the centuries after the Siege of Terra, than to the Emperor's original vision. Certain vital organisations - the Adeptus Astartes, the Adeptus Astra Telepathica, the Adeptus Astronomicon, the Officio Assassinorum and a few other parts of the Adeptus Terra all have their origins in Crusade-era equivalents, but much of the shape and structure of the Imperium comes from the way it was rebuilt rather than the nascent form it had taken during the Great Crusade.

In regards to the Lex Imperialis, one thing to account for is the fact that it's in constant flux. Ten millennia of precedents and rulings by billions of judges on matters concerning any of a million worlds (due to ancient precedents, many worlds may be subject to different elements or interpretations of Imperial Law), built upon the original decrees of the Emperor, of the Council of Terra (led by Malcador) and various Primarchs, Rogue Traders and other powerful individuals speaking on the Emperor's behalf. I don't honestly believe that it could have come from a single author originally, rather being a compilation of the various laws and decisions made during the formative years of the Imperium, with thousands of generations of interpretations and additions piled on top.

A first edition of the Lex Imperialis could work if I made it so current Imperial laws were contradictory to some of those written by the Emperor.  I think I might go with the Codex Imperialis idea though.  I want it to be a text that would be considered holy by the Ecclesiarchy because of who wrote it and what it was written about, but that the writings in it are contradictory to current 40K belief.  The primary conflict for the players would come from how different organizations in the Imperium view the writtings and what the players do with them.  As Redhead222 said, they could sell it though third parties and try and forment unrest in the Imperium to make profit off of.  Or they could try handing it over to an Inquisitorial group (and hope they aren't thanked profusely then shot gran_risa.gif).  Most of the players have played 40K since 3rd edition and tend to be fluff bunnies.  Thus they know just how nasty the Imperium tends to be to it's members that know to much about proscribed information, and are a little paranoid about such things.

Dabat said:

While Pax Imperialis means literally "Imperial Peace", just like Pax Brittania and Pax Romana mean Brittish peace and Roman peace respectively.

My understanding is that "Pax Romana" meant "Join the Roman Empire, or die; either way, we end up with peace." That's a very 40k sentiment if ever I heard one!

Adeptus-B said:

Dabat said:

While Pax Imperialis means literally "Imperial Peace", just like Pax Brittania and Pax Romana mean Brittish peace and Roman peace respectively.

My understanding is that "Pax Romana" meant "Join the Roman Empire, or die; either way, we end up with peace." That's a very 40k sentiment if ever I heard one!

Dilige proximos tuos, utque illis ostendas te re vera diligere, mitte decem legiones quae ianuas pulsent et quam dulcissime ab illis quaerant, num velint in tuum imperium recipi...

Or to put it in plain Low Gothic: Love thy neighbours, and to show you really mean it: send 50,000 heavily armed soldiers to knock on their door and ask in the nicest possible way if they'd like to join your empire.

Adeptus-B said:

Dabat said:

Pretty much the idea. Though there is an actual period of time referred to as Pax Romana. A (relatively) peaceful time brought about because Rome had already forced all it's enemies into submission.

Alasseo said:

Adeptus-B said:

Dabat said:

Dilige proximos tuos, utque illis ostendas te re vera diligere, mitte decem legiones quae ianuas pulsent et quam dulcissime ab illis quaerant, num velint in tuum imperium recipi...

Or to put it in plain Low Gothic: Love thy neighbours, and to show you really mean it: send 50,000 heavily armed soldiers to knock on their door and ask in the nicest possible way if they'd like to join your empire.

Which is an excellent description of how the Tau go about things. Except if you turn down their offer, they shoot you.

Good guy's my arse!

Blood Pact said:

Which is an excellent description of how the Tau go about things. Except if you turn down their offer, they shoot you.

Good guy's my arse!

Nah, they'll usually just force them to join you - killing them all would be wasteful.

And eh, it's a better option than what the Imperium will usually give you.

brainwashing V being shot? ya real upside there

the pax imperialis as far as i know states amoun other things

serve the emperor and the empire (meaning pay your taxes)

round up the psykers.(for the black schips)

give us troops and/or schips too fight out wars with (atrision you know)

follow the emperors laws (make things ordely)

other then that i don`t know what the pax imperialis would state