Sign in to follow this  
Lia Valenth

Magic Underpowered?

Lia Valenth said:

4) Interesting. This is a long shot at beast, and you know your grasping at straws here. Short answer: for the purposes of this he isn't (Side note: Whats a Miser?).

5) Really? A Devah is just sitting around town drinking tea? And the wizard didn't notice? This is why they made Magic Appraisal, that wizard would kill the Devah if he knew he was there, because it would be too dangerous not to. If he did not notice, well I already allowed the true name into my math so the Summoner still has almost no chance of success.

Wikipedia serves here. A miser, cheapskate, snipe-snout, penny pincher, piker, scrooge, skinflint or tightwad is a person who is reluctant to spend money, sometimes to the point of forgoing even basic comforts and some necessities. Old people were commonly portrayed as being miserly but this stereotype is less common since support programs such as Social Security have resulted in less poverty in old age.

If he is on a balcony above the street, it would be very easy to miss him and very easy for him to notice people passing in the street..

Also, you run into a problem as well with your summoner. If he is maintaining control on the entire party(except himself), his recovery is really going to take a hit especially if he has other beings that he maintains control of. Of course if the party's summoner gets controlled, then your summoner pulls the strings to control the entire party at the behest of his controller.

Sofia Corba said:

I for myself would never allow another summoner to bind me if i was a wizzard with chimaera. In our groups, expecially lately, tensions always shows up. That's not bad at all. It's like the missing salt in a soup. We aren't in a happy wonderland where everybody are buddies and don't take a grudge on something another character did. And a pissed summoner with a binding towards me... no thanks. That doesn't sound that good.

Another question, just because I'm curious. What happens when the Summoner of the group dies. I guess the bound vanishes and the "evil" summoner could bind the chimaera-wizzard with less effort.

1) Yup. That could be a large problem. If the party gets along well it is not so bad, but if they don't...well it would not work well in your party.

2) Yes, if your summoner died it would become easier for other summoners to control you. So if this actually worked and you get along with your summoner it is important you protect him.

3) Kalis - you are correct about this party summoner having a problem with Zeon Regeneration. The wizard could help a lot, what with the ability to transfer Zeon to the summoner, as could any other party member with Zeon. But yes that would definitely be a problem.

Lia Valenth said:

summoner having a problem with Zeon Regeneration. The wizard could help a lot, what with the ability to transfer Zeon to the summoner, as could any other party member with Zeon. But yes that would definitely be a problem.

Don't you need The Gift to work as some sort of Zeon-Source for the Summoner? I'm playing a Paladin, who of course has some Zeon. But our GM said that I needed the advantage if our Summoner and / or Warlock (both have The Gift) want to refresh their Zeon-pool with mine.

As always my understanding about Magic is very very tiny. But you seem to be very literate about the sort of theme, so a little explanation would be fine.

~ Sofia Corba

Sofia Corba said:

Lia Valenth said:

summoner having a problem with Zeon Regeneration. The wizard could help a lot, what with the ability to transfer Zeon to the summoner, as could any other party member with Zeon. But yes that would definitely be a problem.

Don't you need The Gift to work as some sort of Zeon-Source for the Summoner? I'm playing a Paladin, who of course has some Zeon. But our GM said that I needed the advantage if our Summoner and / or Warlock (both have The Gift) want to refresh their Zeon-pool with mine.

As always my understanding about Magic is very very tiny. But you seem to be very literate about the sort of theme, so a little explanation would be fine.

~ Sofia Corba

Yes, you have to have The Gift to use your Zeon in any way, such as giving it to the party Wizard.  This is under 'Magic Recovery' on page 109 of the Anima corebook.

And, as an aside, any GM who set up all of these ridiculously improbable hoops just to take a player's character away by sticking it in a pokeball and doesn't allow anything to be done about it needs to be punched in the face.  I hate it when GMs decide they need to play god and bully the players because they have the power.

Brand said:

And, as an aside, any GM who set up all of these ridiculously improbable hoops just to take a player's character away by sticking it in a pokeball and doesn't allow anything to be done about it needs to be punched in the face.  I hate it when GMs decide they need to play god and bully the players because they have the power.

You know what they say, "(That) DM should be shot. In the face. With a hammer."

Eh, that honestly depends on how bad said player is abusing said power. As long as the player remembers the first rule of RP'ing in my games (That rule being "Don't be a ****"), there is no problem. But someone who wants to Chimerize themselves, and set it up so they are completely undetectable via any method, and then start wreaking havok in the campaign world because nobody can stop them, had better be prepared to proven woefully wrong. But without such abuses, there's no reason to go to such extremes to cramp the player's style. It tends to ruin the game for everybody when stuff like that happens. Fortunately, to this date, I have had some very good and understanding players, and I consider myself blessed.

Humans were there to begin with. Gods came to Gaia later (kinda "alien gods" one might say, if you strictly consider the meaning of the world "alien").

What happened before gods got to Gaia? None remembers. It seems that memory of past aeons has been completely erased as if it vanished into non-existence along with any evidence of previous civilization or even evolution of life forms in the "planet". STILL perhaps some little evidence of "pre-Gaia civilization" might have survived and Imperium/Technocracy/Illuminati technology might derive from the rescuing of such ancient lore. But this is a mere hypotesis (I hope I wrote that correctly), since there's no certainty about it.

It's a clear will of Anima Studio maintaining such details uncertain, anyway.

No, I mean the number of humans currently alive. On page 108 of the base book under The Gift it states only 1 in 10,000 people have the gift. Of those probably only 1-10% ever learn to use it, so 1/100,000 to 1/1,000,000 people learn to become Wizards (even weak ones). It would be interesting to calculate (a poor estimate) how many people on Gaia know how to cast spells (or at least on the 1/3rd of Gaia most campaigns exist on).

lets see...

If you sum-up the population of all nations in the states described in Gaia, you have a population of 107710000+ inhabitants...considering the + is in all countries I'd go as far as raising it up to 110000000. All considered, I don't believe the New Continent will have more than half such population, considered it's mostly constituted by forests, so the total should amount to almost 165000000 inhabitants in the "human portion" of Gaia. Considering humans are more prolific than Sylvain and Duk'Zarist, I believe Lunaris and Khalis won't probably be inhabitated by more than 50000000 or 60000000 humanoids.

Wow, that's less people than I thought. Thank you very much Melniboné. With some simple calculations off your figures:

Approximate population: 160,000,000-180,000,000
Approximate number of people with The Gift: 16,000-18,000
If a full 50% of people with The Gift learn to cast spells: 8,000-9,000
If 20% of them learn to cast spells: 3,200-2600
If 10% of them learn to cast spells: 1,600-1,800
if 5% of them learn to cast spells: 800-900
The most accurate is probably about 20% of the people with The Gift actually learning to cast spells...

We know only 1/10,000 people have The Gift, and of them, "normally" never learn to cast spells. As far as I am concerned "normally" means at least 51%, so at maximum there are 8-9 thousand human spell casters in the world (and that is extremely unlikely, there are probably far less).