Sign in to follow this  
Romus

Is it time for an updated rule book?

When should FF games do an updated book that includes all the material released to date and more clarified rules, and errata? It would be nice if it also has something new included (new player races, more classes, higher tier stuff).

I think it would be an absolute cluster frakk to release yet another version of this game after the fiasco with the core boxes, guides and vaults.  The best thing they could do is release a red-box.

jh

Emirikol said:

I think it would be an absolute cluster frakk to release yet another version of this game after the fiasco with the core boxes, guides and vaults.  The best thing they could do is release a red-box.

jh

Agreed!  Not to mention we need a Campaign before we even start talking about a re-re-release!

Too soon in my humble opinion. I personally forsee FFG releasing a large campaign of some sort and possibly an elf expansion before they think about a new rules compendium.  If and when they do decide to reconsolidate the rules, they'll most likely just release it as a 2nd Edition.

It almost seems as if FF originally wanted to steer clear of producing ANY kind of hardbacks for WHFRP but were pressured into it due to a fan outcry for a more "traditional" approach (i.e. hardcover rules and no "bits").  This is apparent in the first round of releases for the game...all were boxed sets, none contained hardcovers, only perfect bound magazine style expansions.

I could possibly see a second edition being released in a slightly different format, with the "Core Box" being more like the recent "Red Box" i.e. a starter box that gives players/gms the basic rules, cards and bits, and a separate set of "Core Rules" book(s) that expand the rules and setting. But who knows....I'm just hoping that FF continues to support the line through next year.

God no! 

Yes for those who play solely from them though.  But that was the great 22 of the hardbacks in the first place, wasn't it?

For the game itself, the last thing this game needs is more reprinting of covered material.  It needs new solid material and a solid new direction.  It was a mistake to re-publish the game that way in the first place.  Of course, that's just my opinion.  Personally, I think they should have just offered it off the website, like a print on demand, on how to use the game without components.  Just a little packet would have been perfect.   

If you are one of those who went that route, I am glad you like the game, I just can't support the need for them...yet.  We need at least the same amount of information released before the updating begins.  

But that's the rub isn't it?  The books need more books.  Ahhh, the spiral of confusion will never end.  LOL!

Nope, as said, complete publishing the 4th box, give us a higher level set/box, flesh out elfs as has been done for dwarfs, maybe halflings.

Then maybe a delux edition.

And then, please oh please, a great campaign set with it on the order of the Enemy Within.

I agree with all of the above!   A re-release won't solve anything!   We need more (and larger) adventures, including a stonking great campaign!

More setting material would be very welcome too.   I suppose elves would make sense, though I personally would be much more interested in halflings and (even more so) expanding the material about different parts of the Empire.   Particularly the Southern and Eastern provinces, which haven't had much love historically.