Sign in to follow this  
richsabre

how long will you stick at it?

i tend to really get into things i enjoy- this game especially, so i think im going to follow/play this game for as long as my interest lasts, but how many of you intend to buy every expansion for the foreseeable future?

also will the game stop getting expansions at some point? how long has other games like this been going?

thanks

I like this game a lot but I feel the sensation decreasing, not because the game gets boring but because of the annoying communication policy and the problem of the low initial print run of the expansions (if you cant get it in the very first days you'll have a hard time getting it). It becomes tedious. I'm a customer who wants to buy a product, not kept in the dark until one day left to the release date and then hunt for it like it being an out of print rarity...

If it stays this way, I'll shelf the game and maybe come back after some months to buy all the expansion packs at once. And if they should be out of print then, I'll quit playing...

Well, they've announced that the Mirkwood set will be 6 expansion packs, so my guess is that they'll see how the game is doing and decide if they want to continue with it or not.

It's hard to say I'll stick with it for a very long time, mostly because I like to try new games, but it's reasonably priced each month to get some new cards and play around.

I think if the quests were more geared toward some of the famous scenes in the movies that would be better. Like a Helms Deep defense quest or Escape through Moria, etc. Yes, they've been done before, but those are the memorable events. It would be like making an Indiana Jones game and not including the Ark or the Grail stuff.

I get that they're trying to incorporate more of the story than just what's in the trilogy. Still, playing obscure or unknown heroes is kinda lame. So far the expansion heroes have been fantastic though: Bilbo, Frodo, and Boromir is coming!! gran_risa.gif

richsabre said:

i tend to really get into things i enjoy- this game especially, so i think im going to follow/play this game for as long as my interest lasts, but how many of you intend to buy every expansion for the foreseeable future?
i like the basegame but i didn't buy any expansion =) (i think they are overprized and have too low replayability - yes i did play them)

I plan to keep going with the game. Any game that lets me play solo is worth my time whether FFG keep publishing or not. So far I haven't found there to be a problem with re-playability.

I also plan to stick to the game in a long term. This is my first LCG and I find the concept very appealing.  Besides, the notion of monthly adventure packs which contain a completely new story/scenario to test your deck(s) against is great. All other TCGs I played so far repeat and get boring with time, because the objective (e.g. reducing the enemies life from 20 to 0 etc.) in general stays the same. But what I've got with LotR so far is (next to an intro scenario) an ambush players have to escape from, a "search and rescue" mission, a "don't lose the trail" mission and a "search for local forces and then battle the enemies" mission. Quite a variety in my opinion.

The delay between the core set and HfG has been annoying, but I hope this is just bad luck and FFG keeps supporting this game the same way as AGoT or CoC!

I have already preordered all of the currently planned expansions through my local gaming store.  Hopefully they dont have a problem getting them at a reasonable pace.  If so, I might have to cancel and find them online instead.  Hasn't been an issue for me so far, but I know some people have had problems with it.

That said, I'm with The_Big_Show.  I got this game to play solo, and it lets me do just that.  So, unless FFG starts only publishing scenerios that are all but impossible to win solo (darn you Dol Guldor), then I will likely keep investing.

I plan to stick with it, really enjoying it. Money is tight right now though so who knows.

I want to see how elaborate the spheres and the deckbuilding gets after we've had several adventure pack cycles worth of cards to tinker with.

I really like the game and plan to keep buying the packs and playing.  I like that it can be played solo or with others.  One disadvantage of AGoT is that it really works best if you have four players. Getting four people together to play is not always easy.   Although I don't I have anyone else to play LOTR LCG with right now, I think it would be fun to play it as though I were two players.  I haven't tried this yet, but I think it should work well.  I used to play MtG, but I got tired of having to buy so many cards.  I like the LCG concept.

I agree with HilariousPete... questing and battle doesn't change, but the formula to win does slightly.
The differing scenarios keep game play fresh and give you a reason to break down your best deck and try another.

I may not get all six packs of the Mirkwood cycle, but since the card pool is small, its hard not to.
I think it will be hard to judge before the first six expansion packs. We'll see how the scenarios have evolved, how many new themes the expansions go through (ie. Eagles, Rohan, etc), at the end of the Mirkwood cycle.

I also think the way that FFG is releasing cards means that players don't forget about the game too long over a span of weeks, etc, but also have enough time to take the whole expansion in without not trying strategy X.

richsabre said:

also will the game stop getting expansions at some point? how long has other games like this been going?

thanks

If I am still here, I think I will buy each and every.

richsabre said:

I'll buy the complete first AP cycle, no matter what. Then I'll re-evaluate how much fun the game is for me and for my circle of friends.

Originally, I planned to get the second AP cycle, as well, since I feel that at this point at the earliest there will be a sufficient number of cards to have some variety and deck-building opportunities.

However, now that the very similar Star Wars LCG has been anounced, I might stop buying into LotR and get that instead.

I will definitely get the Star Wars Core Set. If it turns out to be more fun than LotR, then LotR will have to step back. I'm not interested in buying every expansion for two co-op LCGs, that's for sure!

I really like the way the expansions have worked so far - with AGoT (the other FFG LCG I own), after a while, you have a massive pool of cards, and if you don't want to play competitively, there's actually no real need to keep buying the new expansions. £10+ for one or two new cards, meh.

So far though, the two extra quests, and the third one we've seen announced have a real sense of different flavour to them, particularly Carrock, and Rhosgobel. There's much more incentive to buy the pack for a proper different questing experience, than just a few new cards to tweak the deck with (although at this early stage, deck tweaks are a pretty big deal.)

We'll stick with it.

My whole gaming group (almost) jumped on this game, so this has become our "filler" if we cannot play RPGs we'll play this instead.

We have 5 corsets in total, 3 HfG, and 1 CatC.

My only gripe so far with this game is the availability of the Adventure Packs.

Like stated in the first reply on this thread.... most stores don't seem to get them at all, and the ones that do sell out in one or two days, so you have to be really lucky to catch one. I don't like this AT ALL. Makes me feel cheated and lures me into pre-ordering them from US stores paying reidiculous ammounts in Shipping and Import Tax... I actually cancelled such a pre order today because I simply could not justify an End Bill of around USD 60 just to make sure I'd get it. This is really starting to annoy me. Sad really... since we all love the game.

(Just an FYI CatC has only seen the shelves in one Swedish Store to my knowledge, and they sold out in two days. No other Stores have got it even listed on their Homepage... )

/wolf

GhostWolf69 said:

from US stores paying reidiculous ammounts in Shipping and Import Tax... I actually cancelled such a pre order today because I simply could not justify an End Bill of around USD 60 just to make sure I'd get it

You're doing it wrong! I pay $10 per pack and $10 shipping when just ordering two from CCG Armory. There is probably also a limit you can stay below to avoid duties. It's pathetically small here, so I expect the same in Sweden, but it's enough to get 3 packs or sometimes even a core set. If you go via Troll and Toad's Amazon storefront you can get a flat $3.50 on shipping, so keep an eye out for more LCG products appearing there. I know CCG Armory can deliver in 5-7 days with the cheapest option (but try other shipping options for heavier orders).

If the quests and chapter packs keep delivering like they are doing up till now, I'm in it for the long run. Me and my buddies have been fortunate enough to get to play the new quests in the first few days after their release, and have been very satisfied with the variety in flavor and the ideas they incorporate. If they keep this up, I see this game heading in the good direction! aplauso.gif

evilidler said:

GhostWolf69 said:

from US stores paying reidiculous ammounts in Shipping and Import Tax... I actually cancelled such a pre order today because I simply could not justify an End Bill of around USD 60 just to make sure I'd get it

You're doing it wrong! I pay $10 per pack and $10 shipping when just ordering two from CCG Armory. There is probably also a limit you can stay below to avoid duties. It's pathetically small here, so I expect the same in Sweden, but it's enough to get 3 packs or sometimes even a core set. If you go via Troll and Toad's Amazon storefront you can get a flat $3.50 on shipping, so keep an eye out for more LCG products appearing there. I know CCG Armory can deliver in 5-7 days with the cheapest option (but try other shipping options for heavier orders).

Thanks for the tip. The example above was actually Amazon.com, and I had no options to change the freight used.

Now I have tried this and placed a pre-order with CCG Armory... should be interesting.

/wolf

I can't really say in the long term. I already stopped playing for 3 months and only recently picked it up again, so nothing is guaranteed.

For the guys talking about shipping costs, Amazon has an option that allows US customers to get free shipping if the order reaches USD 25. I take it that's not available for international customers?

I'm in this certainly for the first couple of cycles. I really enjoy the game and so do several of my friends. Getting the AP's has been frustrating even though I was one of the lucky ones who got HFG from the preview events, my CATC has only just arrived. I will also be getting the Star Wars LCG when it comes out and I hope both games continue to expand.

I do think it's early days yet to say anything concrete and I think it will take at least a couple of cycles before the card pool reaches a decent level.

I plan to stick with it, and most prob buy 2-3 of each expansion for friends to use my decks etc.

as to how long this could go for look at the expansions for the cthulhu lcg and game of thrones lcg both of those have over 20  which are still being printed.

as to the outlay, lets see 6 packs at $20 australian each = $120 - $240 if i buy 2, magic the latest set  4-6 starter decks $20 each plus a box of bossters $6 each for 36 call it $300(for starters and boosters) and that wont come close to getting me a full set, 1 fullset mind you not 2 if i outlay $240 on LOTRLCG so the price dont worry me atm.

Yes i will say in australia there have been problems getting hold of the expansions, but if anybody is able to predict precisely how many copies of a new game will be needed and can get within the nearest 100 every time with out fail please get a job at fantasy flight (hell the nearest 1000).