Sign in to follow this  
Airborne XO

Vermont Horror Expansion: All files available

Most of the work took place in 2008-9 with extensive playtesting and a complete redraft for v2 then v3! I recently managed to recover some previously corrupted files and then spent some time working on the final few redrafts and writing the rulebook last week...here we are :)

Cheers, Hal

gotta say i'm pretty impressed i like the board/encounters etc... prequel mechanic is a toss up for me... the game is already kinda long enough as is but its a welcome option... i just wish i had access to a cheap and good way to print it all out.. if this were a real FFG made expansion i would definitely buy it but without the means for me to produce a manageable copy i sadly probably won't get to try it out xD... good job though...looks like alot of thought went into it

i've been thinking of trying to make some kind of traveling marker addition to the game...although i haven't picked up miskatonic horror yet i do like the addition of the wandering token for the exhibit item encounters and whatnot... seems like it would be easy enough to add other wandering things...like a wandering carnival in dunwhich...or i've been thinking of a herald or ancient one that has wandering road blocks (like fog or whatnot) that will slow down investigators alot... but again i have made a few custom investigators and i never play them mainly because they look silly to me just printed out on normal paper xD...guess i'm just anal about everything looking the same

Don't let aesthetics put you off a good game experience. Never underestimate some thick card stock a a glue stick to make your pieces fit in with the rest :) As well as Vermont Horror we have a full version of Sunnydale horror (BtVS variant) with 8 investigators, 6 new AO, about 50 monsters to replace the cup, 30 Buffy Mythos cards and even replacement locations that we blu-tac over current locations (we have the Bronze, Sunnydale High School, and a couple of others) each with their own deck. The only ones that are really obvious are the Mythos cards, but that normally leads to "oohhhh, I'm getting a Buffy card next turn!". Just saying you can have fun even with paper copies if the rules are fun. Maybe thats the roleplayer in me that is happy with a tatty character sheet, a notebook and some dice :)

Cheers, Hal

Airborne XO said:

Don't let aesthetics put you off a good game experience. Never underestimate some thick card stock a a glue stick to make your pieces fit in with the rest :) As well as Vermont Horror we have a full version of Sunnydale horror (BtVS variant) with 8 investigators, 6 new AO, about 50 monsters to replace the cup, 30 Buffy Mythos cards and even replacement locations that we blu-tac over current locations (we have the Bronze, Sunnydale High School, and a couple of others) each with their own deck. The only ones that are really obvious are the Mythos cards, but that normally leads to "oohhhh, I'm getting a Buffy card next turn!". Just saying you can have fun even with paper copies if the rules are fun. Maybe thats the roleplayer in me that is happy with a tatty character sheet, a notebook and some dice :)

Cheers, Hal

heh i know its my loss...maybe one day i won't be lazy or snobish? and try it out xD... few questions about it though...at a glace it appears to me that the prequel mechanic would make the games easier because it allows for more clue tokens to hit the board as well as more time to gear up for a final battle... seems like it could be a little exploitable in this way... do you feel it makes the games easier in which you use it?... also does this expansion play well with other big boards?... i haven't looked through the cards but do the mythos or prequel cards only reference arkham/vermont such as gate openings clue placement etc.... if not do you plan on miskatonic horror-ing your expansion to add cards so it can be mixed in with other big box?...

RocksLikeToast said:

heh i know its my loss...maybe one day i won't be lazy or snobish? and try it out xD... few questions about it though...at a glace it appears to me that the prequel mechanic would make the games easier because it allows for more clue tokens to hit the board as well as more time to gear up for a final battle... seems like it could be a little exploitable in this way... do you feel it makes the games easier in which you use it?...

In playtesting this was ironed out a touch and it was felt that the doom tokens and monsters added by the mining track more than made up for the extra clues. Remember that clues need to be exchanged to remove mining tokens, if players stockpile them they run the risk of the doom tokens piling up on the back of the AO card. Additionally we liked the way it represented investigators gaining disconnected information with no real way of putting it to use :)

RocksLikeToast said:

also does this expansion play well with other big boards?... i haven't looked through the cards but do the mythos or prequel cards only reference arkham/vermont such as gate openings clue placement etc.... if not do you plan on miskatonic horror-ing your expansion to add cards so it can be mixed in with other big box?...

As it stands I have played it with Dunwich. There are no mythos cards as such as the prequel events go back in the box after that game ends (I stuck to Arkham locations for the prequel to make it as universal as possible. I didn't do mythos cards for Vermont in the main game, lack of motivation towards the end. Just glad to finish (finally) what I started.

Cheers, Hal

Hello,

This 'Expansion' looks interesting. Maybe FFG will turn it into an official expansion...............in 2012............who knows whats install for us after the Miskatonic Expansion.........

Yours thankfully

GM

South Africa

Hi again! Thanks for the kind comments, finally have put in the EON files as one big ZIP archive

dl.dropbox.com/u/12560087/Vermont%20Horror%20EON%20files.zip

Not sure if it will work as you don't have access to my initial art (neither do I in many cases as the files did not move from my fried computer. For some reason the EON files seems to have retained the images on my end?) it seems to come in at around 77mb so apologies for that. Hope you enjoy it. happy.gif

Cheers, Hal

It looks really interesting. Great job. Some new mechanics that are not too complicated but adds new concepts to the game - just fantastic.

It could be even an idea for a series of expansions, or one big expansion - digging deeper in some races, highlighting their special features.

BTW: did FFG ever made some fan creation an official expansion? This one really deserves this...

Thanks to Thoth Amon for writing a in depth review found at BGG:

boardgamegeek.com/article/7367486#7367486

I would love to see FFG run with my expansion, but I am content that people are enjoying it and it adds something to their Arkham experience happy.gif

That being said FFG, if you ever looking for a part-time freelance designer from the UK, give me a shout! gui%C3%B1o.gif

Cheers, Hal