Sign in to follow this  
Morbid666

Your favorite character

I only have the base game and DH so I've no experience with KH and IH investigators but I like Harvey the most.  His speed is crap, he can't fight and his will sucks but for some reason he's my favorite.  Probably because I always thought of him griping about how irresponsible all the youngsters in town are and if things were left to them the planet would be sucked into the heart of the abyss.

Harvey Walters has become a running gag in our Arkham Horror games, as in his first game, everything possible went wrong, yet he still had the most seals.  We've since casted him as the Useful Comedy Relief in many of our games.

I personally prefer playing with either Joe Diamond as I work best as focusing on monster slaying but still having enough to do some useful gate closing.

There was a time before Innsmouth when I would have said Darrell the Photographer. One of the primary reasons I love Arkham Horror is the theme, which is greatest during Encounters, and Darrell gets to see a LOT of Encounters. Plus, a starting Retainer is great for early shopping before things get too hot to dawdle, a Speed of 5 is awesome, and a terrific Fight/Will ratio makes him decent in combat. However, Darrell got shafted by one of the LAMEST Personal Stories in the Innsmouth box. It’s not that big a deal to just accept the Fail and keep playing, but…when I used to pull him, I would smile, but now…I know I’m going to fail the Story every time, and that just kills my smile every time.

So now my favorite is Roland the Fed (no matter how often Tibs tries to thwack him in the kneecaps gui%C3%B1o.gif). Spectacular stats (another great Fight/Will ratio for combat), a Focus of 3 for quick changes, and a Personal Story you don’t even have to go out of your way to pass, for a reward dripping with WIN.  Best of all, he gets a starting Ally, but if you read his “Story So Far”, it says that his Ally is basically being sent to him from Headquarters. No matter which Ally you pull, it’s a classic Hollywood trope: the By-the-Book Investigator partnered with the Less-Than-Disciplined _______. I’ll never forget this one:

Roland: “The agency sent you? You’re my backup?”
Young Zoog: >chitter chitter<
Roland: “Fine. You drive.”

Krawhitham said:

Taurmindo said:

i have fittingly used the answer to your question as my signature for quite a while now..

So basically, Mark Harrigan is Chuck Norris?

that's what cannot-be-arrested-or-delayed gets you. awesomeness.

Harvey in both AH and MoM - bad things always seem to happen to Harvey....two of the best:

1) In Arkham horror a dangerously wounded Harvey retreated to the Diner to avoid a Dark Young. He drew an encounter and was killed by his breakfast, bad eggs or something!

2) In Mansions of madness he opened a refrigator and inadvertently release Ithaqua...doh!

Cheers, Hal

Taurmindo said:

i have fittingly used the answer to your question as my signature for quite a while now..

You'll find no disagreement here.  I love having lots and lots of Sanity, but for some reason, Zoey and Mark are my favorite characters.  I guess I chalk it up to sincere badassery.

Agnes Baker. Good personal story, good stats, excellent general spellcaster and unbeaten combat spellcaster (I once got Storm of Spirits as one of her starting spells)

Of the base game investigators, probably Bob Jenkins. Excellent starting equipment, superb Will, and good Speed, Fight and Luck. His only real weakness is a lack of starting clues, but adding his personal story more than makes up for that.

Sister Mary's one of my favorites, she's just so weak and puny :'D extra challenge boost whenever she's drawn.  The one I'm happiest to draw though is probably Darrell, nice and strong, but not too strong that he's game breaking. I'm really fond of all the three sanity characters as well though :'D they remind me of me.

Gotta go with Silas Marsh. I really like his water movement ability and how he has to draw an extra Innsmouth Look card. For some demented reason I really like if he gets the Innsmouth look, feels like whole theme of Innsmouth comes alive at that moment for me. Of course anybody I'm playing with thinks I'm nuts. babeo.gif

Right now Daisy Walker because, when there is no money or clue tokens i can count that she will get nice things from tomes, she makes a great spell caster and i like nerdy chicks .

Second is Carolyn Fern because i am a psychologist, so i have to support my career (and it's so much fun to make spell and horror checks combos with her).

Airborne XO said:

Harvey in both AH and MoM - bad things always seem to happen to Harvey....two of the best:

So earlier in this thread it was discovered that Mark Harrigan = Chuck Norris and now we find out that Harvey Walters = Chief O'Brien!

A sort of definitive answer to "your favourite character" can be found in the Great Ritual of Voting from 2009.  Obviously opinions may have shifted since then, and not everyone there then is here now, but there's quite a bit of interesting discussion on why people like certain characters.

(If you're curious, there's also a GROV for the Ancient Ones, subtitled "You Can't Hit Snooze With A Tentacle".)

I have a few favorites, it's hard to choose just one. I'll give you a few of my absolute favorites.

First is Michael McGlen, who just always seems to get up to wacky shenanigans when he gets drawn. My favorite game with him was when he, a mobster simply out for revenge, ends up staring into printing presses and gaining psychic abilities. He then goes on to open his Third Eye, essentially turning him into a 5 Sanity, 5 Stamina wrecking ball with the ability to regain Sanity when he defeats monsters and ignore damage almost entirely who just so happens to also have precognitive abilities. That game spawned the inside joke wihin our group of "Michael McGlen: He knows when to shoot first!"

I really like Amanda Sharpe. I know i"m probably the only one, but I always liked how she was capable of anything. When you draw her, you had the potential to fill any sort of role. It just all depended on the starting loadout. She used to probably be my favorite, but with all of the expansions we have now, the chances of drawing useless/mismatched skills and items are higher, making her harder to use effectively.

Minh Thi Phan is one of my favorites. I just like her. Passing her personal story turns her into an amazing support character, and she also has a certain flexibility to fill a number of roles. Plus, I just like her backstory. She's pretty much just a bookworm. It's awesome.

Wendy Adams is another character I love drawing. She's a tricky character to use effectively, but she shines when used correctly, especially with the Innsmouth board.

And to round it out, I've gotta say Silas Marsh has to be included among my faves. Especially when you use Innsmouth, he's just really interesting to play. Playing him is a double-edged sword. He can be devoured in so many ways, but his aquatic abilities are handy and he's a really good combat character if the need arises.

Well, I can play the "it's hard to choose just one" game too!

1. Silas Marsh. I love his theme and his skill lines. I love drawing 27 "Innsmouth Look" cards. I love his "The Story so Far:" and his self-sacrificing Personal Story. I love having 3 Fight when my Will is 4. I love his aquatic movement and his +2 bonus in aquatic locations. I love that when the split R'lyeh/Abyss gate with a -4 modifier opens on Y'ha-nthlei with the Colour Out of Space and a Lloigor spawning and Yog-Sothoth as the Ancient One and the Lurker at the Threshold the Herald he has no problems with the monsters and still gets 3 dice to get his two successes to close the gate. Hands down my favorite investigator! *

2. Wendy Adams. 3 clue tokens and an Elder Sign to start with? So what you're saying is I automatically get 2 sealed gates with her? 3 sealed gates if you play her right. 88 sealed gates if Patrice is in the game. I love moving at my leisure and her 3 Focus. High luck, high sneak, R'yleh what?I remember playing her for the first time and thinking, "yes, yes, Y-E-S, yes!" Who cares if she cant kill a monster, there's not a monster that can catch her.

3. Bob Jenkins. Rich, good looking, great skill line, great starting equipment. This guy is the exact opposite of me! I'm never mad at 6 Will. I'm never mad at drawing 3 Common Items at the start and 4 when shopping. I'm never mad at moving 5 spaces. I'm never mad when I get him. I just look at his starting Random Possessions and get giddy! LIke school girl giddy!

4. Tony Morgan. I can't wait to fail this guy's Personal Story! First oder of business, fail his Personal Story! Next, get him two .45 Automatics like in his picture. ** Last, kill monsters collecting clue tokens going through a gate, come on out and seal it. Spend a Cultist and Goat Spawn and get blessed? Okay! Lots o' Luck, good Will for a 3 Sanity investigator, and he just kind of looks like a bad-ass in his portrait. If I lived in the 1920's I would dress like this guy. Hell, I"m about to dress like him right now! Tony is one that I just feel is rich in theme and love the theme he is rich in.

*While I did say that I was playing the "it's hard to choose just one" game, it's not hard. Silas is my favorite investigator. But if someone else is going to share their top favorites and not their top favorite, I'm going to do the same, despite what the thread title is!

**I am aware that it is not realistic to be getting him two .45 Automatics unless there is extreme luck involved. I simply like the idea of him having them and they look more like German Lugers anyways, but until an expansion includes the "German Luger," one-handed, +4 to Combat Checks, Exhaust to get +5 to a Combat Check, I will pretend that they are in fact .45 Automatics.

Bob Jenkins is definitely up there, for the reasons given and because I chuckle when my friends from Chicago call him "Rod Blagojevich" (though personally I always saw him as more of a slightly chubby Val Kilmer).  Luke Robinson.  And, strangely, Jim Culver, mainly because I find it a lot more fun to play a character with three minor and very specific abilities than a character with one huge role-defining one.

Charlie Kane, "settle down now", "Kane for Arkham", though I admit in my head he sounds more southern than New Englander.  It's the theme and flavour of him I like so much, and then imagining how he deals with various things - fetchs his hunting shotgun, takes out a cultist or two, "now Chief, I don't think we need a report about this, do we..." (I don't imagine him being "arrested" when that comes up so much as having to go to the police station, have a couple of scotches and chat about the police budget, then be on his way... (minus some money for the police benevolent fund).  When he goes to Innsmouth or another expansion board being on a "fact finding mission" and deciding, "well, whatever trouble I think I have as mayor of Arkham, at least I don't have to keep the folk of this burgh happy".

I get into him so much I pity those who play my non-solo games with me if I get to play him.

Not sure who my favorite is, but Wendy Adams is always a riot. In our games she always seems to have some darker, adult side just because of the way the game plays out. Usually by acquiring whiskey and then going off and killing a few cultists with naught but her tiny fists By the end of the game I always imagine her  behind a desk in a mansion, drinking whiskey and smoking a cigar, counting her drug/booze money, and ordering Micheal McGlen off to yet another protection racket collection.

Taurmindo said:

Krawhitham said:

Taurmindo said:

So basically, Mark Harrigan is Chuck Norris?

that's what cannot-be-arrested-or-delayed gets you. awesomeness.

Mark Harrigan gets less help from Houdini.

For me it's between Hank and Silas, both from having really good past play experiences.

In one game, Hank had the "Spot Hidden" skill and luck did indeed seem to be on his side. An unlikely pairing with Jim Culver led to much dialogue along the lines of "Mr Culver Mr Culver! Lookit this thing I found!" "God dammit I ain't your daddy, boy! Quit followin me!"

It has been my dream whenever I play Silas to become captain of the White Ship, just so I can yell "We're changing course! Next stop, to THE DREAMLANDS! Yaharr!" gran_risa.gif