Sign in to follow this  
Walk

Unintentional House Rules

Not exactly a serious topic, but I thought I'd ask anyway: what intentional house rules have you implemented in the past, which is to say, which misconceptions about the rules have you played with for any length of time?  There are two I can remember.  One rather minor one is that there is no limit on retainers.  The other was that you have an encounter at a location after closing a gate there.  I actually kind of enjoyed this second one, mostly because I like having encounters.  For my first few games, I didn't remove monsters with the same symbol when someone closed a gate, but I think this was more me just forgetting about it.

I used to think you could opt to have an encounter at a location after closing the gate.

In my very first game I thought that doom tokens got added every round, not merely when a gate opened.

For some reason, for about a year or so, I thought that you didn't have to travel through the other world to use an Elder Sign!!!

We played that mobs attack you as soon as they land in your area on their movement as well as when your movement turn rolls around. Needless to say, we got spanked a lot those first couple of games.

I can't believe I'm going to admit this in public, but for a very long time I was adamant that I was the one playing the game.

Of course everyone else had long ago figured out that the game plays you.

The first 4 games I played with my friends we thought you could only seal a gate using the elder sign item. We actually still managed to win one of those games.

Hmm, here are some I'm not proud of:

• For the first year or so I thought that when a gate closes in addition to monsters with the same symbol, it also removed all monsters at that location. (In my defense, this was how it was played in the original Arkham horror)
  • For a few games I thought that you still had to pass the check before you could use an Elder sign (basically I thought it just got rid of the need for clues)
  • I thought an investigator could only bless themselves (despite the clear wording on the board).

ricedwlit said:

• For the first year or so I thought that when a gate closes in addition to monsters with the same symbol, it also removed all monsters at that location. (In my defense, this was how it was played in the original Arkham horror)

To further aid your defence, this is actually a suggested houserule by Richard Launius.

http://new.fantasyflightgames.com/ffg_content/Arkham_Horror/House%20Rules%20RL.pdf

Krawhitham said:

ricedwlit said:

To further aid your defence, this is actually a suggested houserule by Richard Launius.

http://new.fantasyflightgames.com/ffg_content/Arkham_Horror/House%20Rules%20RL.pdf

Yeah, I knew that, but was too  lazy too dig up the link (thanks). Not a surprising house rule from him given that he was he was one of the designers of the 1987 version.

Despite the fantastically clear wording on the board, we played that when you used a special ability of a location (Dissection, blessing, what have you) you still got an encounter card, but once we read the correct rules we decided we liked it our way regardless.  We also thought that your successes against monsters added up between rounds.  To be honest, however, it was more of a hindrance than help as it encouraged us to pick fights with things seriously out of our league and get beaten down horribly as a result. Shoulda just sneaked gui%C3%B1o.gif

For almost 2 years we played: that once in the curiosity shop have to buy one of the three cards, and discard the rest. Causing some elder signs to be discarded serio.gif

But 4 weeks ago my girlfriend remarked that on the board it stated: you may pick up to three cards. So now where ever so careful shopping there.

The other one, when a friend was over who ownes a board for himself, he told us you may search the deck for an ally, not just take the top one from the deck.

Which caused  my grilfriend to re-examine the board.

After 2 years, it was starring us in the face!!!!! 2 years of frequent playing never noticing both!!!

Ow games are just a bit easier now, just a bit.....

bald penguin said:

But 4 weeks ago my girlfriend remarked that on the board it stated: you may pick up to three cards. So now where ever so careful shopping there.

Actually, I think the "may" in this case re-enforces that you're opting to use the location's special ability. You should still have to draw 3.

bald penguin said:

As Tibs said.

The Curiositie Shoppe text states "you may draw 3 Unique Items..." (at least, the English version of the board does). Now if it did say "you may draw up to 3 Unique Items" I would agree with you but it doesn't :) Maybe you need to post in the "I Had Been Correctly Playing the Rules Until..." thread.

@bald penguin

You are right about Ma's getting you your choice of ally :')

Another thing on the board people sometimes overlook from lack of careful reading, is that you can actually get blessings for anyone, not just the person who traded in the trophies at the church.

My two long time errors were the bit about blessings.  And I used to think that if you started your turn in a space with a monster, you could kill the monster and keep moving.  Don't ask why.  Anyway, neither affected the game structure much.  Well, the blessing bit did, in the game's favor ;'D

Here's one I've been playing incorrectly until last night:

During final combat, the 1st player token is not traded at the end of the round—it's traded at the end of upkeep.

Tibs said:

During final combat, the 1st player token is not traded at the end of the round—it's traded at the end of upkeep.

Does that make any difference?

Tibs said:

Uhhh.  Whoops #3?  What a stupid rule though :'

jgt7771 said:

Tibs said:

Does that make any difference?

It kind of does. It changes who the target is for certain AO attacks (this meant that Eihort attacked the super-ineffective Ursula last, rather than first).

I...don't quite follow, Tibs.  The only difference is that the first player from the previous round is still first player during Upkeep, and the AO doesn't attack during Upkeep.

Right, but here is an example of the difference:

1. Ursula (1st player)
  2. Monterey
  3. Dan
  4. Amelia

The AO awakens. The way I have been used to playing, all four investigators would attack, and then the AO (Eihort) attacks the first player, who is Ursula. Then the round would end and the first player would pass to the next investigator. (As a side note, there is some uncertainty about what happens when the first player is devoured: does the 1st player token get passed immediately? If so, then Monterey might not be Eihort's next target: if Ursula is devoured, then the attack would immediately move to Monterey, and then to Dan before Eihort's next attack. If if doesn't, then there would be a brief period where there is no first player, which can become problematic under some circumstances.)

However, since the 1st player passes during Upkeep, it would go to Monterey before the investigators and the AO attack. Thus, Monterey would get attacked first, and Ursula (who was cursed with no weapons btw) would wind up risking her neck last rather than the more preferable first.

Now I understand why I didn't understand.  In my games, the moment the AO awakens, the regular game is over.  I always considered that to be the "end of the last turn", and thus I would pass the First Player Token to the next Investigator, and proceed to start the Final Battle.  Since there is no "Start of Battle" conditions that affect whomever is First Player, whether I pass the token before or after any Final Battle Upkeep phase makes no difference at all.

But you treat the first round of a Final Battle as the final part of the "last" regular turn, so it could indeed affect you in some way.  Some BIG way, if it's someone like Quachil Uttaus.

Alright, I...think I understand.  Personally, I think it's needlessly confusing to change the time when you switch first player.  Perhaps FFG did it in order to indicate that you were supposed to switch first player before final battle began (although perhaps it would have been easier to just say this).  jgt7771: remember that, with Quachil, you never pass the First Player marker until someone gets devoured.