Sign in to follow this  
jamesmhebert

Final word? How many X-wings and Tie fighters in the base box?

I. J. Thompson said:

plokoon9619 said:

Your not going to get half the pilots you named like Porkins, Biggs, Janson, Chewie. Those generic named pilots we saw on the cards are actually using the appearance of named characters. 

Again, that suits me just fine, for the most part. Like, I consider myself pretty well-versed in my (movie) X-wing pilots - I can tell you who 'Dutch' and 'Pops' are, for instance. But those two dudes on the cards are unknowns to me. And using photos, they had to put somebody on the cards, after all. I'm cool with having a few options, but not every single guy in the movies. After all, how different could their stats be, anyway?

Not to rain on your parade... but weren't Dutch and Pops Y-wing pilots?   After the debaucle that was WOTCs Starship Battles I'm not hoping for much with this game.  I'd love to be pleasantly suprised though!

Oboewan said:

Not to rain on your parade... but weren't Dutch and Pops Y-wing pilots?

You're not raining on my parade. Yes they're Y-wing pilots, but the discussion was about using named characters as generic pilots. What they were flying in the film is besides the point, since pilots can be swapped between ships in this game, anyway.

I. J. Thompson said:

What they were flying in the film is besides the point, since pilots can be swapped between ships in this game, anyway.

We hope so, at any rate. It's still up in the air since, as far as I'm aware, all the pilot cards specifically stated whether they pilot X-wings or TIE/ln Fighters, which may indicate that pilots are craft specific -- a very dark path for FFG to go down. Let's hope that is fixed in the final edition.

Oboewan said:

I. J. Thompson said:

plokoon9619 said:

Your not going to get half the pilots you named like Porkins, Biggs, Janson, Chewie. Those generic named pilots we saw on the cards are actually using the appearance of named characters. 

Again, that suits me just fine, for the most part. Like, I consider myself pretty well-versed in my (movie) X-wing pilots - I can tell you who 'Dutch' and 'Pops' are, for instance. But those two dudes on the cards are unknowns to me. And using photos, they had to put somebody on the cards, after all. I'm cool with having a few options, but not every single guy in the movies. After all, how different could their stats be, anyway?

Not to rain on your parade... but weren't Dutch and Pops Y-wing pilots?   After the debaucle that was WOTCs Starship Battles I'm not hoping for much with this game.  I'd love to be pleasantly suprised though!

Go look at the WWII version of this, every pilot has a name. And since this game will just be a spin off, we aren't going to have a squad built up for 20 X-wings, more like 3-7 of them on the board so its easy to have a bunch of named pilots and not run out of names. Same for Tie-fighters. Plus like you said, you don't care, so it shouldn't bother you when they add a bit more life to the actual game instead of generic spam stuff that eventually gets phased out by better pieces in the future.

plokoon9619 said:

Oboewan said:

I. J. Thompson said:

plokoon9619 said:

Go look at the WWII version of this, every pilot has a name. And since this game will just be a spin off, we aren't going to have a squad built up for 20 X-wings, more like 3-7 of them on the board so its easy to have a bunch of named pilots and not run out of names. Same for Tie-fighters. Plus like you said, you don't care, so it shouldn't bother you when they add a bit more life to the actual game instead of generic spam stuff that eventually gets phased out by better pieces in the future.

Are you replying to Oboewan, or to me?

If me, I'm trying to puzzle out what you're saying, here. Why would having named pilots in the game bother me? I only said that having generic pilots doesn't bother me. I simply don't feel that the stats of the 'minor characters' could be varied enough to force players to have to differentiate between Ed, Bob, Roger, Siggi, Fernando, and Gort. And if they're only using movie stills on the cards, that really limits their options to how many different characters can make it into the game (I'm assuming the Wings of War cards don't use photographs of real WWII pilots).

But I've already seen that this is a hot-button issue for you, and it's really not for me, so I'm lettin' it go... I just wanted to clarify that I'm not some kind of "no unique characters in the game" weirdo. If this issue is so important to you, you should start a thread about it where FFG can see it, and take it under consideration! happy.gif

Oh crap, really? I haven't looked at those cards in a while.

Yes, FFG, let's keep things open to the maximum customization possible!

Yes, I agree!

Necroed as it is, kinda fun to read, especially this:

It's still up in the air since, as far as I'm aware, all the pilot cards specifically stated whether they pilot X-wings or TIE/ln Fighters, which may indicate that pilots are craft specific -- a very dark path for FFG to go down. Let's hope that is fixed in the final edition.

This should be done more often.

Want me to choose another random thread to necro??

Might be fun to revisit some of them once or twice every time a new wave comes out...

Edited by AlexW

We hope so, at any rate. It's still up in the air since, as far as I'm aware, all the pilot cards specifically stated whether they pilot X-wings or TIE/ln Fighters, which may indicate that pilots are craft specific -- a very dark path for FFG to go down. Let's hope that is fixed in the final edition.

This was my favorite that hasn't been mentioned...the path was so dark that X-wing became only the second best selling miniatures game 3 years later....

(Obviously it makes a lot of sense now to help with game balance to have a pilot card and its cost assigned to one ship--and if they do expand pilots to other ships they'd need different cards and costs for them).

Edited by AlexW

DragonWhimsy said:I honestly would be fine with a simple poster starfield. Or cardboard. I don't need a fancy mousepad type material.

I and others have said many times (but I want to say it again, in case any FF staffers are reading!), that they could include a simple, single-sided starfield poster map for the price of next-to-nothing. People who would buy the deluxe mat when it's available (people like me, 'cause I'm crazy like that), will still buy it anyway... because, again, we're crazy like that. But people who wouldn't buy the deluxe mat when it becomes available (because, like you, they simply don't want one) might decide not to buy the game at all - because there's no poster map included, and having to play on a bare wooden table makes them feel like they've been 'ripped off'.

Heed, FFG! cool.gif

This one made me smile. :D

Seriously though (but not really), it's really a shame that FFG never read these threads. I wonder where this game could have gone if they had just included a playmat!