Sign in to follow this  
Captain Harlock

Rogue Traders and Inquisitors - Fluff question.

Hi, I have a question regarding the Inquisition and Rogue Traders. It boils down simply to this issue:

If a Rogue Trader or their dynasty is suspected of being tainted with psykers or daemonic possession which of the Inquisitorial Ordos is more likely to step in? The Ordo Malleus or the Ordo Hereticus?

The reason is that I have to clarify a bit of the dynasty’s background and odds and ends that I have been dropping hints about but have never really deepened. In our background The Dynasty’s senior retainers were put in stasis and its ship was impounded for 400 years because the previous Rogue Trader became a victim od daemonic possession. Since then the hereditary Scions had put their wealth and services for the Inquisition in a penitent crusade in order to win absolution for their sin of witchcraft. The current warrant holder a legitimate heir won absolution for the dynasty. Now the retainers are thawed out of their stasis tuppaware boxes yada yada yada… you get the picture.

I usually am the GM but when I get a break and one of the other players decides to have a go I usually play the slightly withdrawn warrant holder who decides once in a while to leave his Librarium and get his hands dirty (apt metaphor for a GM I think).
The current warrant holder is not a psyker (he has the Witch Born - Proven to to be Pure Lineage from ITS, which is probably why the inquisition thinks it is safe to give the warrant back)

Now I have always hinted when playing that the Rogue Trader being allowed to claim his hereditary title worked in some capacity as Low Level Inquisitorial Acolyte or a catspaw of sorts (Dark Voyage - origin path) but never really developed his murky background, aiming to give the RT a sense of mysterious outsider to the dynasty even as he is its head.

Anyways the PC’s have now captured themselves a Powerful Heretek and want to hand him over to the Inquisition - not the Ad mech…there are compelling reasons why they really don’t want to do that, infact even handing the heretek to the inquisition draw too much scrutiny . The PC’s are now asking “had we not better hand the heretek over to the Inquisition branch that the Rogue Trader has best connections with”

I’ve stalled for a direct answer because I don’t know myself. Problem is I’m not sure which of the Ordo sounds more feasible. Hereticus because the ancestor was an unbound psyker and the stain may run through the bloodline or the Malleus because of the daemonic possession? I had hinted that because the ship is probably cursed (Wrested from a Space Hulk – Part History) that the dynasty may have ancestral daemonic adversary, another thread I haven’t developed.

Ideas?

Hereticus or Malleus?

Whoever found out first and called dibs. 

Ultimately it could go either way and it could be both.

The Heretek would probably fall under the purview of the Hereticus more so than Malleus, but either would take him.

how about your find any old inquisitor (hard thing too do if they don`t want too be found) and just say with compliment from out captain cheers! of failing that leave him/her/it with the arbiters problem solved the ][ will sort it our among them selfs and your crew might just get a modered pass next time they do something stupid like cold trading or god know  what els

the ordo mallus doesn`t normaly does this halve ass job. kill the problem and anything even mildy connected too the problem unless there reson not too

the ordo herictius i might (oprative word being might) do this just too get a rogue trader house endetted too them so they will do there bidding when the time comes (on that note so might the ordo xeno, for other reson then the ordo her but you get the point)

rogue traders having deal with deamons are a realy big no no even with other rogue trades the fact that its still standing is a minor mirale by its self

by the by only thing i have ever heard of going on a pertinant crusade would be what was left of a space mariens chapter, and they are worth a **** load more then a rogue trader famely every will be

redhead222 said:

the ordo herictius i might (oprative word being might) do this just too get a rogue trader house endetted too them so they will do there bidding when the time comes (on that note so might the ordo xeno, for other reson then the ordo her but you get the point)

by the by only thing i have ever heard of going on a pertinant crusade would be what was left of a space mariens chapter, and they are worth a **** load more then a rogue trader famely every will be

I called it a penitent crusade because I had no over way of describing a Rogue Trader scion doing his penance for the sins of his Dynasty. How many scions had worked for the inquisition since the dyansty warrant was confiscated I have left a mystery, just that the most recent one had finally somehow atoned and was found pure enough to hold the warrant.

As for the unlikeliness of the Inquisiton actually pardoning the dynasty being a 'minor miracle' I decribed this when I created the dynasty background. Heres an except from it:

A Scholars view:

The Tenax dynasty is one that has a chequered history to be sure. As
one of the first rogue traders to have braved the maw they would have
been accorded a great place in this sector’s history, if it were not for
what many whisper befell to Arsene Tenax. One only has to dig deeper
into their exploits over the millennia to see that they were cursed from
the beginning. And yet its hard to reconcile this darker fate with what
they had achieved over the years. And now the Inquisition have declared
them absolved of whatever sin that has besmirched their past and the
heir to the warrant has been presented on Beorma Prime by the
Inquisition. Two questions spring to mind: What exactly happened to
Arsene Tenax that incurred the Tenax dynasty the wrath of the
Inquisition, and what penance did Jzeff Tenax have to perform to gain
the Emperors absolution from the Inquisition who have in living memory
never have absolved anyone?

Lucio Sophianius
High Librarium Adept and Remembrancer on Beorma Prime

As for the Inquisitor who the current warrant holder worked for as a catspaw/acolyte, I also wrote her a brief quote about what she thought of the dynasty, though I dont think theres anything that indicates weather she is a Hereticus or Malleus

The Inquisitions View:

Its a miracle they were not all damned every
time the ship entered the warp. Valsh tempted fate in
insisting that his Librarium was built on those aft
levels which awoke some sort of psychic conduit. One
can only speculate its nature, but from our data
slates on the dynastys endevours in 219 and 243 M40
there’s is no
doubt that the fell architect is involved and that the
ship is drawn to its influence. Of the
Goldrake and its
original identity we are still unclear. The Librarium
has now been fully exorcised, and the ship will now
return to the Dynasty, the new warrant scion having
redeemed his dynasty in the eyes of the
Emperor through service to the Inquisition. But I
suggest that we keep a close eye is kept on this
dynasty. I fear that while the ship is cleansed from
within it will continue to attract or dare I say, seek
out trouble. It's kind always does.

Lady Havesham Sinn
Inquisitor

redhead222 said:

I called it a penitent crusade because I had no over way of describing a Rogue Trader scion doing his penance for the sins of his Dynasty. How many scions had worked for the inquisition since the dyansty warrant was confiscated I have left a mystery, just that the most recent one had finally somehow atoned and was found pure enough to hold the warrant.

As for the unlikeliness of the Inquisiton actually pardoning the dynasty being a 'minor miracle' I decribed this when I created the dynasty background. Heres an except from it:

A Scholars view:

The Tenax dynasty is one that has a chequered history to be sure. As
one of the first rogue traders to have braved the maw they would have
been accorded a great place in this sector’s history, if it were not for
what many whisper befell to Arsene Tenax. One only has to dig deeper
into their exploits over the millennia to see that they were cursed from
the beginning. And yet its hard to reconcile this darker fate with what
they had achieved over the years. And now the Inquisition have declared
them absolved of whatever sin that has besmirched their past and the
heir to the warrant has been presented on Beorma Prime by the
Inquisition. Two questions spring to mind: What exactly happened to
Arsene Tenax that incurred the Tenax dynasty the wrath of the
Inquisition, and what penance did Jzeff Tenax have to perform to gain
the Emperors absolution from the Inquisition who have in living memory
never have absolved anyone?

Lucio Sophianius
High Librarium Adept and Remembrancer on Beorma Prime

As for the Inquisitor who the current warrant holder worked for as a catspaw/acolyte, I also wrote her a brief quote about what she thought of the dynasty, though I dont think theres anything that indicates weather she is a Hereticus or Malleus

The Inquisitions View:

Its a miracle they were not all damned every
time the ship entered the warp. Valsh tempted fate in
insisting that his Librarium was built on those aft
levels which awoke some sort of psychic conduit. One
can only speculate its nature, but from our data
slates on the dynastys endevours in 219 and 243 M40
there’s is no
doubt that the fell architect is involved and that the
ship is drawn to its influence. Of the
Goldrake and its
original identity we are still unclear. The Librarium
has now been fully exorcised, and the ship will now
return to the Dynasty, the new warrant scion having
redeemed his dynasty in the eyes of the
Emperor through service to the Inquisition. But I
suggest that we keep a close eye is kept on this
dynasty. I fear that while the ship is cleansed from
within it will continue to attract or dare I say, seek
out trouble. It's kind always does.

Lady Havesham Sinn
Inquisitor

sorry writing in english worse then my spoken english but you got the point.

inttresting read on how you tryed too explain it might work for you, doesn`t work with the way i see how the inquisision  works but whatever help the game along