Sign in to follow this  
PsychoWolf

3 Player Scenario

Salve,

first excuse my bad english, but school time is long ago...

I've just developed a scenario for a three player game and would like to hear your oppion about it.

HERE you can download it's pdf.

Greetings from Germany

PsychoWolf

Hi PsychoWolf! Bevor hier gar keiner antwortet: Ich werde das Szenario auf jeden Fall ausprobieren, sobald ich genug Zeit habe. Das Ganze sieht ja nach einer größeren Sache über zwei Spielfelder aus. Ganz nebenbei: Wohnst du zufällig in der Umgebung von Braunschweig?

Nein, komme aus Saarbrücken.

Hoffe, dass ich am Sonntag Gelegenheit dazu habe, das Szenario selbst mal auszutesten, aber bin derzeit im Urlaub un hier spielt nur mein Weibchen mit mir, also fehlt quasi die dritte Partei...

Aber freue mich auf jeden Fall über Rückmeldung und Verbesserungsvorschläge.

Könnte auch die deutsche Version hochladen, wenn Du willst (hatte das Szenario zunächst auf Deutsch geschrieben). Sag einfach bescheid

No, I'm living in Saarbrücken.

I hope, that on Sunday I have the chance to test the scenario by myself. At the Moment I'm in vacation and I'm just playing with my girlfriend, so the third faction is missing.

But I'm glad to get feedback and suggestions

Although I didn't have the time to actually set up and play your scenario, I have at least read your description and the special rules. In my opinion, there are too many special rules to consider when playing your scenario. Three factions, two boards, special starting points, objectives that don't fit the symbols on the objective circles, secret doors that are only usable after special objectives have been accomplished, troopers with new skills, a document token that has to be recovered - I really think it's a bit too much for one scenario.

Additionally, I have some questions regarding the setup and rules. The rules say the reich can destroy the secret passages. How can they actually be destoyed? Are the reich characters able to get from the crypt map to the castle map before the secret passages are open, or do they have to stay in the crypt? Is the document token placed on the board just like a flag token? If the answer is yes, then at least one of the factions won't have any access to the token at the start of the game because it simply starts on the wrong board.

I'm really sorry because this post sounds quite negative, but these are my thoughts after reading the scenario rules.

??! said:

Although I didn't have the time to actually set up and play your scenario, I have at least read your description and the special rules. In my opinion, there are too many special rules to consider when playing your scenario. Three factions, two boards, special starting points, objectives that don't fit the symbols on the objective circles, secret doors that are only usable after special objectives have been accomplished, troopers with new skills, a document token that has to be recovered - I really think it's a bit too much for one scenario.

Yes, I also noticed this, but i thought it would be necessary for making the scenario balanced.

??! said:

Additionally, I have some questions regarding the setup and rules. The rules say the reich can destroy the secret passages. How can they actually be destoyed? Are the reich characters able to get from the crypt map to the castle map before the secret passages are open, or do they have to stay in the crypt? Is the document token placed on the board just like a flag token? If the answer is yes, then at least one of the factions won't have any access to the token at the start of the game because it simply starts on the wrong board.

This is another maybe difficult point. The Reich's secondary objective "athletics" appears with the secret passage the union discovers. The other secret passage stays open after discovered by the Matriachat.

They can't go out before Matriachat or Union have opened a secret passage, but that's no reason for them keeping the Reich down their, 'cause (and maybe I should mentioned this in the description) the "Sneak" secondary (primary for the Reich) objective can only be fulfilled once per game.

??! said:

I'm really sorry because this post sounds quite negative, but these are my thoughts after reading the scenario rules.

It's quite okay, give me something to work on, but it's still not simple (for me) create a good, simple and balanced 3 Player Scenario

Oh, so many germans here. No one in Munich, though... When one of you guys happens to come to Munich you can leave a notice, maybe we can have a small match. That´s for all players here, not only the german ones :)

Yes, some kind of, but a little smaller and in a very nice location I've heard and seen on the pictures.

Arch Enemy and Virgin Steele were there this year, the line-up for next year haven't startet yet

But we should go back to topic I think and talk about this somewhere else (is a offtopic thread existing here?)

I played the scenario yesterday. It took half an hour to set it up and at least two and a half hours to play it. The setup is time-consuming because of the secret doors and the objectives that aren't on objective circles or don't match the symbols on the board.

The game ended in a draw between the Reich and the Matriarchy. Both had 6 VP when the Matriarchy accomplished their 4th objective. The Reich had recovered the documents and accomplished 1 primary and 2 secondary objectives. I ruled that the sneak objective in the crypt could be accomplished several times in the game because without this change only the Reich would have had a chance to win.

The Reich won the setup role, placed the document token in the crypt and rushed in to recover the token and to accomplish both of their objectives in the crypt, including the sneak objective. The other factions opened the secret passages and raced through them as fast as they could, but they had no chance to stop the Reich from accomplishing the sneak objective or saving the document. If I hadn't changed the rule about the sneak objective, only the Reich could have won the scenario at this point.

The Reich characters now tried to enter the castle map and accomplish their objectives there, while the other factions had to split their attention between stopping the Reich, entering the crypt to accomplish some objectives and stopping the third faction from doing the same. The Reich entered the castle at their athletics objective and immediately accomplished it. It was obvious they would move in force to their last objective on the board and win, so the Matriarchy quickly moved all of their characters to their objectives in the crypt and accomlished them, making the game a draw with the Union being the only loser. It was the smartest move the Matriarchy could do in this situation.

Really cool about this three player scenario is that each player really has to think about his actions and their consequences. Attacking one of the other factions in force would only help the third faction to win the game. Not attacking enemy characters could leave them in a position to attack and wound characters of the third faction. Even accomplishing your own objectives could actually help your enemies to win the game.

In short: It's a challenge to play and quite different from normal two player games, but it's quite difficult because of all the special rules. Furthermore, I think the Reich has the biggest chance to win because of their starting position.

And a small off-topic note again: I'll send word if I ever make it to munich or saarbrücken. Just remember: Braunschweig is a nice city too - okay, it isn't, but at least it's a city and not some small village in Ostfriesland.

??! said:

And a small off-topic note again: I'll send word if I ever make it to munich or saarbrücken. Just remember: Braunschweig is a nice city too - okay, it isn't, but at least it's a city and not some small village in Ostfriesland.

I´ll give you a note whenever I go to Braunschweig. And I even would if I went to  a small village  in Ostfriesland ;)

After finally got the chance to play it by myself, I think I should work on some small changes.

The Matriachat wins the game by accomplish all of their objectives including saving the documents. But just because Zor'Ka seemed to be untouchable. She runs through the Secret Door in the Crypt, get the Documents and also accomplished the objective in the middle of the crypt. The Reich player, a new player so maybe there's the problem, didn't managed to get her a single wound.

One after another Zor'Ka killed all the Reich characters and after that the Union enters the crypt with all their characters, nearly all unwounded. But Zor'Ka also managed to kill them all without getting a wound. (We played more than the ten turns, just to give the Union the chance to get Zor'Ka killed). After the game we talked about some tactics to get Zor'Ka down and in the end I think it was a mistake of the Union and the Reich player, not a bug in the scenario.

About the documents I would not change anything. Of course Reich is in a little advantage to get accomplished this before Union or Matriachat reaches there, but on the other hand it's hard for them getting accomplished their objective in the castle when Matriachat and Union want to block this.

I've just one rule question. Can Zor'Ka equipped with Presence enter a path with Heinzinger's Hermetica Occulta without a mental duel or is it just not possible for her? If it's not possible this could be a big disadvantage I think

Zor'ka is really powerful and hard to kill or even to damage. If playing objective mode, I normally don't even bother to attack her. Instead, I run from her and try to complete objectives as fast as possible. That was the Reich's tactic in my game, and it gave them 5 VP quickly.

I think you should at least change the rule about the sneak objective. It should be possible to solve it more than once, so that every faction at least has a chance to accomplish all of their objective. As there are three sneak objectives on the two boards (one primary and two secondary), maybe you could give each faction a different sneak objective. The first faction to accomplish their objective gets the document token in addition to the VP.

Whatever changes you work out, I hope you post them again. It's cool to have a three player scenario.

And concerning your rules question: I think Zor'ka with presence ignores all mental duels, so she walks on Heizingers path without any problems. As you said, she's almost untouchable.

Both Zor'ka with Presence and the Voivodes cannot be engaged in mental dules, they can be very effective against the Reich, because they simply ignor the effects of Hermann's Hermetica, and other similar powers. This make Zor'ka more effecitve against the Reich than Hoax in my oppinion.

Although Zor´ka with such a great Stamina value should be great in bullrushing and thus revealing hidden Hoax. Voivods with a huge stamina value of 6 should be, too...  Maybe even giving Zor´ka  this bullrushing-bonus-item and adding 3 attack  successes.

Salve all together,

I've just worked out some changes

HERE you can download it.

The "Mechanics" objectives are still just to fulfilled once, because of my intention that all factions have to split their forces to get all objectives accomplished

I still think the player who completes the "Mechanics" objective will have a huge advantage because the other players don't have the possibility to accomplish all their objectives and collect the VPs. Furthermore, the rules still don't say how the Reich can destroy the secret passages. But whatever, I WILL play the revised scenario and report back as soon as I have the time.

The Reich could destroy the secret passage by fulfilling the "Athletic" secondary objective in the "old" version. In the revised version the secret passages couldn't be destroyed anymore. I tried to simplify the scenario a little, so there also is no hunt about the documents anymore.

Of course the faction who reach the "mechanics" objective first is in a advantage, but then they should be detained by the others fulfilling their other objectives.

But maybe a little change in the End of Game Conditions will also help:
Game ends after twelve turns or when one faction solved all their (remaining) objectives.

Simplifying the scenario, especially by making the passages immune to destruction, is a good idea. I'm looking forward to playing the scenario as soon as possible!

We've played the scenario yesterday and it took us about four hours. But we got two total new players in our group (we played with three double-teams), so that maybe explains the time.

The Reich players reached the "Mechanics" objective first, but more or less forgot their objective in the castle, so the Matriachat wins by fulfilling all their other objectives, because the Union got most time blocked by von Heinzinger and his Hermetica Occulta.

This and last time I played the Matriachat and I'm probably the most experienced player. But with better tactics all players got a real chance to win, I think.

I finally managed to play the revised scenario. It took about half an hour to set up and about to hours to play. The Union team included Hoax, Brown, MacNeal and two Alpha troopers, the Reich team included Hoss, Eva, Karl and two Stosstruppen, the Matriarchy team included Zor'ka, Irina, Isishka and four Voivodes (Who else?).

Following the strategy hints given by PsychoWolf, the Union and Matriarchy teams raced towards the secret passages while sending out single characters to accomplish objectives in the castle. The Union successfully accomlished objectives en passant while moving towards the passage before it got into a shootout with the Matriachy team moving in the opposite direction. The Union destroyed several Voivodes. Meanwhile in the crypt, Eva and Karl moved towards their objectives as fast as possible while Hoss and the troopers covered the secret passages.

Every team quickly accomplished the matching objectives on the starting map (so the Reich got the Mechanics objective again), but the Union and Matriachy teams prepared themselves to move through the passages in full force. Irina, who had accomplished an objective, was separated from the rest of her team so Hoss switched places with her using his equipment. He even came into a position near a Reich objective in the castle.

Hoss moved towards the objective. The Union tried to attack him but failed because of his prescience ability and the Helm of Diomedes, so Zor'ka moved back towards Hoss but failed to damage him enough to stop him from accomplishing the objective. The Union moved through the passage to attack the Reich characters in the crypt.

Irina, who had been transferred to the crypt, tried to accomplish the Matriarchy objective there but had to roll a die because she lacked the needed skills and had to handle attacks made by Eva and Karl. A Stosstruppen managed to move through the secret passage near the remaining Reich objective and accomlish it, Irishka and a Voivode failing to kill the Stoss in time. So the Reich won by accomplishing all of their objective, the Matriarchy managed to complete their objectives in the castle and one half of their primary objective in the crypt. The Union only completed their objectives in the castle.

Conclusion: I still think the Reich has an advantage because they can get to the Mechanics objective fast. The other factions have to enter the crypt as fast as possible, probably even avoid each other in the castle. They have to stop the Reich before it even enters the castle. The Reich, on the other hand, has to make a push through at least one of the other factions to enter the castle. This is quite cool because it offers a difficult tactical situation for everybody.