Sign in to follow this  
Solardream

Thy Name I keep

Hi there,

I've got a major question regarding a background I took from The Radicals Handbook for my Adept, ( the one listed in the subject). It's on page 37 if you need to re-look at it.

Anyways, our Dark Heresy team just finsished the first book of a published adventure, where we took on a Lord of Change, and during the encounter, we were in a warp-spawned library of sorts. During this time, we had to look up the Deamons true name, in order to actually get to the next step and hurt the thing.

Our GM had myself the adept, find and look through books during our run and gun, that somehow listed many true names...and after making both a search and major willpower check, I found it...but then I had the idea to also look up the full name of the one I knew a fragment of already (which is part of my background) and the GM agreed to it, after reading my note and telling him what I wanted to do in private. Some fate points later, I had it.

Well, it's after the game, and now I'd like to go over just what this means for my character in regards to my background. With it, I currently have the effects of one boon, with no servitude to dark powers needed (I'm simply siphining in affect, with the one time cost in corruption points). So, logically to me, this means I could siphon more boons from the deamon with only a cost in more corruption points for each one, (and any malignancies or mutations if I fail my tests when they accumulate.)

Does this make sense to anyone? If not, have you had this experience with an Adept and this background package similar to it? I'd just like myself and the GM to have some understanding of the groundwork for the mechanics on this background and any future pacts that by-pass deals with the demons entirely.

To sum up: Can I simply siphon more boons for the normal corruption cost, without the payback to the deamon itself, and if so: is there a limit to the number of them, beyond the corruption total?

It makes sense, but since you're going "beyond the books" it's really up to what you and the GM agree on.  You can read some more on True Names of daemons in Daemon Hunter, since there's an alternate rank who's sole purpose is to piece together a daemon's True Name.  Lots of good fluff in there about them.