Sign in to follow this  
Gillam Harrow

Using Strength to affect Penatration

I've found it a little silly that non primitive melee weapons' have a static penetration, although i understand the reasoning behind it. would it be going to far to allow characters to use the higher of their Strength OR their weapon's base penetration to apply to damage soak?

Not 100% sure I understand the question you are asking, but if its what I think it is then I wouldn't recommend it.

A weapon's penetration rating represents the weapon's base ability to penetrate protection.

A user's SB (strength bonus) is added to the melee damage of a weapon to represent the applied force with which the weapon is swung.

The game already takes a user's strength bonus into consideration when dealing damage which is better than subbing it in for a weapon's penetration when it would be greater.

Applying a user's SB as both bonus damage and pen seems silly to me.

Pen is only valuable as long as the target continues to mitigate damage.

Example.  I have a character with 66 Strength, SBx2.  Using my Master (Best) Astartes Power Fist that's SBx3 or 18 SB.

In your example the Master Power Fist 2d10E +20 Pen 9 would be upgraded to 2d10E +20 Pen 18.

This would effectively tear clean through most characters' mitigation and apply the full 2d10E +20 directly to their wounds.

Since I am using one of my characters as an example he also has Toughness 50, TBx2, and AP9.  Normally he would be able to mitigate TBx2 (10) +9 or 19 damage.  In this case his mitigation would be reduced to 1 and he would take 2d10E +19 wounds in damage.  My guys big and he has a lot of wounds, but a good roll would still one shot him and a decent roll with the right talents would just as easily.

If however you still have a problem with melee pen consider looking at the razor sharp quality in Deathwatch attack rolls made with more than 2DOS double weapon penetration.

Not quite sure what you are asking. Melee weapons DO already take strength into account on getting through armour and toughness soak by adding onto the damage.

If Alice (strength 44) hits bob (toughness 37, armour 4) with a chainsword she rolls 2D10 and picks the highest (tearing). Lets say she rolls a 3 and an 8. Alice picks the 8 and adds her str bonus (4) and the weapons damage bonus (2) for a total of 14. The chainswords penetration negates 2 points of bobs armour, taking it to 2. Now Bob has a total soak of 6 (armour 2 + toughness 4). 6 points of damage are removed from the 14 damage rolled and Bob takes 8 damage.

Strength doesn't need to add to penetration since it already adds to damage. The penetration stat of weapons is an additional bonus to help get through armour.

Well DW has added the Talent 'Hammerblow' that allows SB/2 to be added to melee pen with an All-Out Attack, but its prerequisite is being SM. For mere mortals, I'd say 'get a Thunder Hammer'.