Sign in to follow this  
Gaztutts

A few issues that the books aren't clear upon . . .

Hi there!

Firstly thank you for looking at my post and secondly sorry if my questions have been answered in previous posts but I'm hoping some experienced players/DM's may be able to help with some rules clarifications. I'm a new GM/DM to Warhammer and after the test session we had quite a few questions that weren't clarified by the books . . .

1. In their active intitiative phase a player is only allowed to play one "action" card but can perfrom multiple manouvers (At the cost of extra stress/fatigue)?

2. Can players use Dodge/Block outside of their active initiative phase? I.e in respose to a creatures actions or can they only ever play one action card per combat round?

3. If they can play a card like dodge/block outside of their turn - then does it last the whole combat round or just for that attack?

4. What happen if a player get knocked to below 0 wounds and doesn't die from criticals - what happens if they regain conciousness? Do they start back at 1 wound or do they keep a tally of how many negative wounds they have?

5. Do players start with the kit on the back of their character card or is that a mere suggestion?

6. What is the purpose of the "Action types" on the top left of cards? (I.e. Defence, support, blessing, ranged etc)

Finally are there any other rules clarifications that have been noticed by the community, that has impacted on games? If so then please post!

Many thanks in advance for any responses to this thread!

Good gaming!

G.

Actually these things are in the rules or FAQ, I answer to help but really reading the rules and FAQ is a good idea.

1. In their active intitiative phase a player is only allowed to play one "action" card but can perfrom multiple manouvers (At the cost of extra stress/fatigue)?

You get one free manouever each round, and can perform an additional ones at the cost of 1 Fatigue @ (not Stress) - see page 51 of the Tome of Adventure.  You spend Stress at start of your turn if you want to adjust your Stance more than one step for free.

2. Can players use Dodge/Block outside of their active initiative phase? I.e in respose to a creatures actions or can they only ever play one action card per combat round?

Such cards are used, if desired, whenever their trigger is met.  That includes Dodge etc., and also other non-basic actions.  "Active Defence" and "Reaction" actions describe in card text the triggering situation (e.g., after you are declared target of a melee attack you can parry, dodge can be used after melee or ranged").  These are not used on your turn, the rule is one action on your turn, not one action per round.

3. If they can play a card like dodge/block outside of their turn - then does it last the whole combat round or just for that attack?

Just that attack, it gets recharge tokens.  This is part of the strategy issue, there's a goblin, a wolf and and orc.  The goblin throws a spear at you, you can say you're dodging but then can't use that against the wolf, if you use your parry against wolf, you can't use dodge or parry against a 3rd attack.  This is one reason you have several types of reaction defences - you can pile them all on at once or spread them around, your choice as player.

4. What happen if a player get knocked to below 0 wounds and doesn't die from criticals - what happens if they regain conciousness? Do they start back at 1 wound or do they keep a tally of how many negative wounds they have?

They regain consciouness when they get back a wound.  There is no negative wound score ever, only zero.  You get back as many wounds from zero as whatever effect allows you to recover wounds says (if you just lay there and no one tended to you it would a night's rest, you wake up hours later with To in wounds etc., see ToA page 64).

5. Do players start with the kit on the back of their character card or is that a mere suggestion?

That is typical gear but not what you start with, you have your starting wealth.  Some houserules suggest something like, "always allow someone to find such gear for sale, not have to roll to find it".   See the FAQ on the support page, page 3.

6. What is the purpose of the "Action types" on the top left of cards? (I.e. Defence, support, blessing, ranged etc)

These are basic categories and are often referenced along with traits (technically they are a trait as well) - you will see at times on another card something like "affects spells and supernatural abilities", spells have the spell symbols and supernatural is a trait.  A parry action is no good against a "ranged" attack etc.  Otherwise they are often flavour though houserules may give them more significance. 

Thank you for your response.

I have indeed read the rules but some of the rules I enquired about I think are left open to interpretation within the books. Hence why I asked.

Thanks again for clarifying.

G.

Some clarification.

valvorik said:

You can play as many reactions for a given trigger as you want. Yes, that means you can play block, dodge, and parry against a single attack.

valvorik said:

They regain consciouness when they get back a wound.  There is no negative wound score ever, only zero.  You get back as many wounds from zero as whatever effect allows you to recover wounds says (if you just lay there and no one tended to you it would a night's rest, you wake up hours later with To in wounds etc., see ToA page 64).

This isn't how wounds work. You don't track them as Hit Points, counting down to 0. 

If you have 0 wounds, you are unwounded. As you take damage, you gain wounds, counting up. When the number of wounds is over your Wound Threshold, then you fall unconscious. It doesn't matter how many wounds you go over. 

When you heal, you just get rid of wounds equal to your Toughness. If that brings you equal to or below the Threshold you wake up. You still have the remaining stack of wounds, though.

An example:

Gerold has a Wound Threshold (WT) of 14 and a Toughness of 3. He is in a fight and has taken 11 wounds of damage so far (at the table, he has a stack of 11 wound cards). He takes another big hit of 6 wounds. He now has 17 wounds, which is over his WT so he turns one to a crit and falls unconscious.

That night he 3 (his Toughness) wounds, bringing him to 14 wounds. Since 14 is no longer over his WT he wakes up.

I hope that clears things up

Just to add in the case of going unconscious when taking wounds over your threshold:

You can take WOUNDS over your WOUND THRESHOLD and fall UNCONSCIOUS, then you also immediately convert one of those WOUNDS into a CRITICAL WOUND.

It seems you go from LIGHTLY WOUNDED, to UNCONSCIOUS and then CRITICALLY WOUNDED very fast when truly defeated in a battle.

You will be active once again after you get healed to have wounds equal or under your WOUND THRESHOLD be that through healing draughts, first aid or extended treatment and rest.

-ashe-

valvorik said:

You don't track how may over threshold you are - I fell into trap of how the question was framed.

oh, i thought you applied additional wounds.

for example:

a character with a threshold of 12 currently has 10 wounds (1 of which is critical), he gets hammered for an additional 5 wounds.

so he now has 15 wounds is unconscious and one of his wounds is flipped to a critical. in this example he still lives because he only suffers 2 criticals.

his opponent stomps his face for say 3 more wounds so he has 18 wounds another of which is flipped to a critical for a total of 3 criticals.

New Zombie said:

valvorik said:

You don't track how may over threshold you are - I fell into trap of how the question was framed.

oh, i thought you applied additional wounds.

for example:

a character with a threshold of 12 currently has 10 wounds (1 of which is critical), he gets hammered for an additional 5 wounds.

so he now has 15 wounds is unconscious and one of his wounds is flipped to a critical. in this example he still lives because he only suffers 2 criticals.

his opponent stomps his face for say 3 more wounds so he has 18 wounds another of which is flipped to a critical for a total of 3 criticals.

You are right, except for the last paragraph (I think). I don't think you take extra crits when you are hit and are over your threshold.

That is correct. It is a point of contention of how to handle additional damage to unconscious PCs, as the rules do not explicitly say.  However, it is reasonable that additional damage over the Threshold also counts as damage that would put the PC over the Threshold ... thus inflicting one of the wounds as an automatic critical.  It sounds reasonable to me, and helps keep things dangerous.

Doc, the Weasel said:

You are right, except for the last paragraph (I think). I don't think you take extra crits when you are hit and are over your threshold.

i figured the criticals must be there to ensure that the opponent doesn't curb stomp the hero to 45 wounds and give up trying to kill him because he got bored waiting for sufficient boons or the right number of successes to trigger criticals.

i could hand wave the crits and just have the opponent kill the incapacitated hero, but i like the tension of seeing a hero down and the other players having to try and get to the nefarious curb stomper in time to save their unfortunate friend.

dvang said:

That is correct. It is a point of contention of how to handle additional damage to unconscious PCs, as the rules do not explicitly say.  However, it is reasonable that additional damage over the Threshold also counts as damage that would put the PC over the Threshold ... thus inflicting one of the wounds as an automatic critical.  It sounds reasonable to me, and helps keep things dangerous.

This depends on what flips a wound to a critical - is it going over your WT that flips one, or the act of falling unconcious due to exceeding your WT.  I believe the latter, therefore I say you only take one critical in that example.

Of course, once someone is prone, you could always rule that all attacks have '+1 critical' as standard, to avoid such ridiculousness as the 45 wound example above, but that's up to you.

It does also amount to what you've said sounds reasonable anyway...  :)

Doesn't come up much but I use "auto critical" if the additional damage is in whirl of melee (no wounds), and it would be "auto death" if the damager dealer so wishes and is unrushed etc.

In response to Valvorik's answer to qestion 1, what page says how to move your stance token? I have been looking for it, but can't seem to find it.

Wyvirn said:

In response to Valvorik's answer to qestion 1, what page says how to move your stance token? I have been looking for it, but can't seem to find it.

"Beginning of Turn Phase": WFRP rulebook page 57 & Player's Guide page 75