Sign in to follow this  
Asajev

Radical Origins and Unique Origins question

I got a question for you guys I know it might be a simple No type answer but here is the question. Can you combine origins from the radical book and those in the inquisitors book if they do not contradict each other?

Wut? You can't combine origins. There can be only one homeland. If you was meant to combine origins and backgrounds, then answer is yes. Any origins with any backgrounds from any books as long as it make sense. There is no restrictions.

Asajev said:

I got a question for you guys I know it might be a simple No type answer but here is the question. Can you combine origins from the radical book and those in the inquisitors book if they do not contradict each other?

You may have only one origin. If an origin is a modification of an existing one, it'll say so as well as what to modify (example: Tainted Blood of Malfi is a modification of the Noble origin).

If you are speaking of Background Packages, you are likewise restricted to just one.

You may combine an origin with a background package as long as you meet the prerequisites of the background package and if the GM allows you to take background packages in the first place.

-Kirov

Kirov said:

Asajev said:

You may have only one origin. If an origin is a modification of an existing one, it'll say so as well as what to modify (example: Tainted Blood of Malfi is a modification of the Noble origin).

If you are speaking of Background Packages, you are likewise restricted to just one.

You may combine an origin with a background package as long as you meet the prerequisites of the background package and if the GM allows you to take background packages in the first place.

-Kirov

Can we get a quote from the rules that say you're restricted to just one of either type?

As far as I can see, it doesn't say anywhere that you're restricted to just one alternate origin package, or just one alternate background package. As a GM, I'd probably still rule - or at least very pointedly advice - my players to only pick one of either, but there's nothing in the rules that outright restricts it.

If it fits the story, and no contradictions exist, why not?

Under Stage One: Home World on pg. 13 it talks about selecting a homeworld, or roll the dice and see.  Both sentences use the term in a singular form.  It then goes to say when you have chosen your Home World....again singular.

As far as background packages, in the IH pg. 26 is speaks of choosing a package, and in all instances, uses the singular form.

Also in Radical's Handbook pg. 35 if specifically states "nor can he ever have more than one package."

Rules as Written it is one origin, and one background package.

That being said, like most rules it is up to GM decision. 

As a long time DH GM,  I have allowed players more then one background package on a variety of occasions, when it made sense.  However I have only ever allowed a single origin.  If no origin fit the concept, I would work with the player to custom craft an origin for them.  This custom background would in turn become available for other players new characters down the road.