Sign in to follow this  
Felis

Dragon Realm AND Dragon Tower...?

So the news about the new expansion made me crawl from under the proverbial rock ;)

As I red the latest bit about double-sided overlay I immediately thought to myself "****! Now I need two copies of "The Dragon" box." Why? Because I'm not sure if I'll be able to choose between Dragon Realm and Dragon Tower. Of course we don't know how exactly will this overlay work but it's a safe bet we'll have to choose one variant or the other (overlay being double-sided and all :) ). Well, is it too much to ask for both? I can imagine a Dragon Tower standing in the middle of the Dragon Realm (well, technically the Tower would have to be set on the side of the main board - slightly anti-climatic). It would obviously double the difficulty of reaching the Crown (not something for the casual players) but for me personally it would be finally the reason to go to the inner region.

So what are your thoughts? Are there any other gluttons for draconic punishment like myself?

guciomir said:

Dragon Realm OR Dragon Tower, not both. You choose which side should be used at the beginning of the game, so its rather 2 different scenarios, not 1.

Yeah, I gathered that much. That's why I was pondering the alternative of using both at the same time (as a house rule, if you will).

Makes me wonder if you actually red my post or just the thread title ;)

talismanamsilat said:

I'm sure I will post some Alternative Rules for the Inner Region boards, so you can use both boards during the same game (you won't need 2 copies) ;-)

Ell.

That would be great but I foresee one technical problem - flipping the overlay while some other Characters are still in Dragon Realm. That's why I thought about two copies (I guess printing one side of it would be copyright infringement ;) ).

Felis said:

That would be great but I foresee one technical problem - flipping the overlay while some other Characters are still in Dragon Realm. That's why I thought about two copies (I guess printing one side of it would be copyright infringement ;) ).

Making a copy of one board out of a set that you have purchased should not violate copyright law, as long as the copy is for personal use only.(Disclaimer: Statement based on sketchy knowledge of fair use law in the USA and no knowledge of any laws anywhere else, your milage may vary)  Of course, you may have some dificulty convincing the staff at your local copy shop that it is for personal use.

talismanamsilat said:

I'm sure I will post some Alternative Rules for the Inner Region boards, so you can use both boards during the same game (you won't need 2 copies) ;-)

Ell.

Why do you presume that the expansion does not already include some form of  "alternative" rules? 

Daefaroth said:

Felis said:

Making a copy of one board out of a set that you have purchased should not violate copyright law, as long as the copy is for personal use only.(Disclaimer: Statement based on sketchy knowledge of fair use law in the USA and no knowledge of any laws anywhere else, your milage may vary)  Of course, you may have some dificulty convincing the staff at your local copy shop that it is for personal use.

not a problem if u have a personal printer

talismanisland said:

talismanamsilat said:

Ell.

Why do you presume that the expansion does not already include some form of  "alternative" rules? 

Do you know something we don't??

Of course you do. ;) That was a rhetorical question. So? Any hints you can give us without breaking non disclosure agreement?

I'd seriously doubt there will be alternative rules in the expansion that would fulfill all of what Felis has raised as a fan adaption. Any approach to flipping a single board in the middle of the game will not go over well. Players looking for the fastest possible game (meaning most of them) even in a scenario and/or alternative ending wouldn't care for his alternative... but I'd be interested in hearing more... once the we actually know what's in the box.

Making the second board: I think making a copy for personal use only in the case of such a rare exception alternative is not going to ruffle any feathers. It still requires buying a copy of the expansion, which supports the product.  In other words, Felis, you do have an option beyond buying the expansion twice, unless you'd like/want/need duplicates of all other components, too.

But again, we really do need to wait and see what's in the box... meaning the manual as well... or most of all.  And I look forward to that.