Sign in to follow this  
D_M

A caravan perhaps?

Searched the forum but didn´t find anything, so here we go.

What would you think about a small expansion called the caravan perhaps? it would be a character that you could buy stuff from.

It could be moved either as the reaper, so that each player trows the dice and move it, or perhaps just let it move one step in one direction at the end of each turn.

Sometimes it feels like ages before you get to the city and can by stuff.

Good idéa or not?

D_M

There is already a pedlar card (or two) that wanders around the board as people shop.  There are also market cards, livery stables, and the market day event.  Plus of course the shop in the village.  If/when a City expansion comes out, there will likely be additional places to shop in it.  That and there is also the fact that I rarely have gold sitting around doing nothing (maybe I just don't spend enough time in the Highlands.)  Personally, I don't think that a Caravan NPC type would see a lot of use on my table.

If you are thinking of homebrewing one, my suggestion would be that prices should be inversely proportioned to how easy it is to use.  As a reference, note that the stationary always there village square is more expensive than the drawn market or market day cards.  The stationary market and the effects everyone market day don't carry the premium axe shield and spells that the moving pedlar does.  The harder it is to use, the better/cheaper it should be.  If it is easy to find and use prices should be the same or higher than the village market.

Good idea Daefaroth.

I hate the pedlar cards and markets ones.  I think the bought objects are a waste of good gold unless you have gold to spare.

Hmm, maybe this would fill a void of places to shop.  My apologies if I read something similar somewhere and just don't remember where.

Junkyard (Place or maybe Stranger)

3G - buy one (non-magic) object in the discard pile, 6G - buy one magic object in the discard pile, sell an object for 1G, sell a magic object for 2G

With a few extra rules it could be a Caravan NPC

The Caravan will only move within the outer region.  Whenever a character gains or spends gold the Caravan will move d6 spaces in the direction of that character.  If the Caravan lands on a player it will buy one of their objects (chosen at random) for 2G.  If a player lands on the Caravan they can shop as above.

I would suggest something more autonomous for the Caravan; random triggers require everyone at the table to keep track of something extra.  Better to have its trigger be something that encounters it (thereby a reminder), or have the person who drew it take responsibility (with a time limit by its movement to a destination for being in play). And perhaps add one Caravan card per 100 Adventure cards if you want shopping opportunities.  Each one could have a different begin/end space and offer different things for sale. I don't recommend a caravan as an excuse to have everything for sale.

Put a little verisimilitude into it so that it doesn't become just an excuse for shopping on the run.

The Generic Structure

Caravan - Stranger
Place it on the [begin Space]. Each time it is encountered, the Player rolls a die at the end of the turn and moves it [clockwise/anticlockwise]. When it reaches or passes the [End Space], discard it. [items for sale, etc.]

Example:

Desert Caravan - Stranger
Place it on the Oasis. Each it is encountered... anticlockwise. When it reaches or passes the Castle, discard it. [items for sale...]

Merchant Caravan - Stranger
Place it on the City. Each time it is encountered... clockwise. When it reaches or passes the City again, discard it. [items for sale...]

Farmers Caravan
Place it on the Village. Each time it is encountered... clockwise. When it reaches or passes the City, discard it... etc.

Pilgrim Caravan
Place it on the Chapel. Each time it is encountered... clockwise. When it reaches or passes the Graveyard, discard it... etc.

The Alternative Structure

Caravan - Stranger
[items for sale.] At the end of your turns, roll a die and move toward the [EndSpace] by the shortest route. When it reaches the [EndSpace], discard it.

Example:

Desert Caravan - Stranger
[items for sale]. At the end of your turns, you always roll a die and move it towards the Castle by the shortest route. When it reaches the Castle, discard it.

Merchant Caravan - Stranger
[items for sale]. At the end of your turns, you always roll a die and move it towards the City by the shortest route. When it reaches the City, discard it.

@JCHendee: I like the generic structure.  I think I would go with a set movement rate rather than a random one.  Either 2 or 3 squares per encounter would keep it on the board for a while but still have it disappear before too many uses.  The alternate structure you gave leads to a few extra questions that need to be answered.  What is the fastest path from the ruins to the castle?  Can the caravan walk by the sentinal?  Will it take the ferry from the tavern?  What if an odd combination of cards gets them drawn off the main board?

@Old Master: I don't see why the caravan would encounter the reaper or vice versa. Most cards/NPCs don't interact with other cards/NPCs unless it is specifically written on one of the cards.

On the note of cards interacting with other cards, at the risk of adding too much text to one card maybe the caravan should pick up (discard) any objects and gold pieces the caravan happens to land on.

Daearoth: The alternate structure you gave leads to a few extra questions that need to be answered.  What is the fastest path from the ruins to the castle?

Not "fastest" ... "shortest," read it as written, which is determined by counting spaces. In most all cases, it will be obvious by perceivable distance according to spaces through a region or even into an adjoining one.  Players are always counting spaces anyway, sometimes to figure our their own shortest route to get somewhere; it's not going to be something too confusing for them.

Daearoth: Can the caravan walk by the sentinal? 

There have been other instances of on-the-board game components that move.  Almost none are limited by the Sentinel; those that are, are the ones with a special note (as far as I remember).  So the exceptions are the ones that can't do it, not the ones that can.

Daearoth: Will it take the ferry from the tavern? 

Only "Characters" roll a die in the tavern; hence caravan "Strangers" should never have that question come up if the game's rules are followed.

Daearoth: What if an odd combination of cards gets them drawn off the main board?

Then the caravan proceeds by the "shortest" route back to its stated destination on the main board.  No rule changes or exceptions or FAQ is needed, since the card's instructions are still applicable in straightforward fashion.  This is a very rare occurence you've raised, and it won't produce any confusion if the card's instructions are followed in literal fashion.

Personally, I like the "generic" better as well, but I'm not presenting just what I'd want, though I'm not fond of a set number of spaces (in most cases). Options are how I try (most times) to offer ideas to other home brewers of expansions.