Sign in to follow this  
Captain Harlock

Eldar Shrine - any fluff tips or ideas calling all fluff greybeards!

Our group's campaign has taken another turn for more complications... Its my turn to GM and I would like some ideas.

At the end of the last scene the dynasty helped a mining planet rid itself of a Hereteck Genator and his zombified servants. However the planets authorities have revealed that something very old has been unearthed by the Hereteck, an Eldar Shrine. Moreover the Navigator using his warp eye senses that the turbulence in this star cluster and the instability of the warp channels is directly related to this shrine. Interrogating the genator has so far proved futile. This is where we have got to.

A couple of questions:

1) Do Eldar really have shrines upon other worlds, if so what are they like..are there any novels that detail such fluff?

2) Would any of the Eldar Gods cause turbulence in the warp? Id so which ones (Im guessing Kournous, Khaine or Cergorach...)

3) Are there any reasons turbulence would occur? Would it be a pre-fall or post-fall Eldar Shrine?

4) Which third partys would be intrested in the shrine?

5) Why would a Heretek genator have worked to unearth such a shrine?

5) Moreover what could a RT gain from such a place?

May I assume you don't have a copy of Lure of the Expanse, then?  A set of damaged Eldar shrines was a fairly major plot point in that adventure.  Here's the very short version:  There are webway gates on many, many worlds.  In addition to these, the eldar built shrines on worlds that were significant in terms of fate... the LotE shrines were all on worlds that had a linked destiny.

Incidentally, some of the LotE shrines caused warp turbulence.   The damaged ones allowed psychic energies to leak back into realspace, with bizarre and/or dangerous results.

As for why a heretek would be interested in such a thing, well, it's a veritable fountain of forbidden lore, both Xenos and Warp.  Who knows what kind of unnatural experiments could be conducted in the warp currents radiating from the shrine.  I wouldn't care to speculate... the last guy who did that got burned by the Inquisition.  gui%C3%B1o.gif

Cheers,

- V.

Captain Harlock said:

Our group's campaign has taken another turn for more complications... Its my turn to GM and I would like some ideas.

At the end of the last scene the dynasty helped a mining planet rid itself of a Hereteck Genator and his zombified servants. However the planets authorities have revealed that something very old has been unearthed by the Hereteck, an Eldar Shrine. Moreover the Navigator using his warp eye senses that the turbulence in this star cluster and the instability of the warp channels is directly related to this shrine. Interrogating the genator has so far proved futile. This is where we have got to.

A couple of questions:

1) Do Eldar really have shrines upon other worlds, if so what are they like..are there any novels that detail such fluff?

2) Would any of the Eldar Gods cause turbulence in the warp? Id so which ones (Im guessing Kournous, Khaine or Cergorach...)

3) Are there any reasons turbulence would occur? Would it be a pre-fall or post-fall Eldar Shrine?

4) Which third partys would be intrested in the shrine?

5) Why would a Heretek genator have worked to unearth such a shrine?

5) Moreover what could a RT gain from such a place?

1.  Sure.  They used to have a large pantheon of gods.  You could just as likely make it a shrine or webway portal or both.

2. The laughing god (Cegorach) the healing god (Isha - prisoner of Nurgle) survived and the god of war (Khaine) was smashed into a million pieces (survives as summoned Avatars).  The fluff in an Eldar codex hints that the infinity circuit is an attempt to create a new eldar god (Ynnead).  Isha could be trying to communicate that a particularly nasty Nurgle creation is about to be unleashed and try to get a cure out to help before it destroys everything in the area.  I doubt khaine would be active at all - he seems, in fluff, a mindless thing called up only for battle now.  Ynnead is not yet born.  Cegorach fled into the webway and is a good candidate if you want to lead them on a merry chase into the webway.

3.  Pre-Fall is most likely, but its been a long time so it doesn't matter - either would be vastly old. 

4.  Slannesh.  She wants to gank Cegorach but he is hiding ou tin the webway.

5.  If the genetor was receiving what the thought were inspirations from the shrine (whisperings of NURGLE maybe?) well then he'd probably be interested in what Nurgle had to lie about er say.  The genetor could be the instrument Nurgle would use to unleash a new plague.

6.  Stopping Nurgle from plaguing the planet into a cesspit is its own reward.  Access to the webway.  Access to Isha, perhaps she whispers to those 'worthy' of hearing her warnings and cures through the shrine/portal.

The Exodites have some kinds of landscape shrines which are mostly of your "stonehenge" types of things on their maiden worlds, I dunno if they have the full Aspect shrines of the various warriors, arts, crafts and basketweaving the craft-world eldar get up to in their spare time as they don't tend to follow much more than the path of wandering aimlessly and causing people grief with sniper rifles. Entirely possible they have the pantheon shrines that are remnants from a very long time ago.

bobh said:

into a million pieces (survives as summoned Avatars).  The fluff in an Eldar codex hints that the infinity circuit is an attempt to create a new eldar god (Ynnead).  Isha could be trying to communicate that a particularly nasty Nurgle creation is about to be unleashed and try to get a cure out to help before it destroys everything in the area.  I doubt khaine would be active at all - he seems, in fluff, a mindless thing called up only for battle now.  Ynnead is not yet born.  Cegorach fled into the webway and is a good candidate if you want to lead them on a merry chase into the webway.

6.  Stopping Nurgle from plaguing the planet into a cesspit is its own reward.  Access to the webway.  Access to Isha, perhaps she whispers to those 'worthy' of hearing her warnings and cures through the shrine/portal.

Actually I hadn't thought of the Isha/Nurgle connection. Fits in with the Genator and the current background

This Genator has created Zombies.

Nurgle Has Zombies.

Genator is intrestinted in zombies and servitors.

Shrine of the eldar godess Isha. Theres is something in the shrine about the capturing of Isha by Nurgle (thus Shrine must have been still operational post fall)

Cue Eldar and Chaos third partys intrested in the place.

Problem is stil doesnt explain how it affects the warp channels in the area (I dont have lure of the expanse)

Captain Harlock said:

Problem is stil doesnt explain how it affects the warp channels in the area (I dont have lure of the expanse)

It will affect the warp in whichever way suits your story best. This is the warp we are talking about.

Bilateralrope said:

Captain Harlock said:

It will affect the warp in whichever way suits your story best. This is the warp we are talking about.

Your avatar looks very similar to a nurgling....are you an emissary of grandfather nurgle sent to tempt this GM from the path of righteousness?  :)

Captain Harlock said:

Bilateralrope said:

Captain Harlock said:

Your avatar looks very similar to a nurgling....are you an emissary of grandfather nurgle sent to tempt this GM from the path of righteousness?  :)

Read my signature.

Bilateralrope said:

Captain Harlock said:

Bilateralrope said:

Captain Harlock said:

Read my signature.

(Unhooking force rod from belt)

Amid the Weeping and the Woe,

Accursed Daemon Thou Remain And Rot;

I Know Thee Filthy as Thou Art I Know!

Te ezorcizio in nomine Imperatoris!