Sign in to follow this  
sajuhl1987

strange situation questions

Ok I was first wondering about assault of the kraken, is the when opposed the challenge is treated like it never happened effect initiated as soon as the challenge is opposed or does the player have the chance to make it unopposed through card effects, like the scouting vessel.

Secodly if a unique card is in play, like Aeron Damphair and a duplicate is placed into your dead pile from your hand by Aegons hill is it discarded like I think or is there some other rule here 

sajuhl1987 said:

Ok I was first wondering about assault of the kraken, is the when opposed the challenge is treated like it never happened effect initiated as soon as the challenge is opposed or does the player have the chance to make it unopposed through card effects, like the scouting vessel.
The only time you ever check to see if a challenge is "unopposed" is when it resolves. If the defending STR is 0 when you resolve the challenge, it is unopposed. It doesn't matter what happened before getting to challenge resolution because the game only cares what is happening at that point.

sajuhl1987 said:

Secodly if a unique card is in play, like Aeron Damphair and a duplicate is placed into your dead pile from your hand by Aegons hill is it discarded like I think or is there some other rule here
It's not that there is "some other rule." It is that there is nothing in the rules that tells you to do that. The rules on unique cards say that you cannot play or put into play a copy of a unique card that is already in your dead pile. It doesn't say anything about removing characters that were played legally from play if a copy goes to your dead pile. So, for example, using a card effect to move a unique card from the discard pile to the dead pile will not discard, kill or otherwise remove a copy from play that is already legally there when the move happens. However, if the copy in play is discarded or returned to hand, the copy in the dead pile would prevent you from playing it again.

Think of the copy that is moved to the dead pile while another copy is in play as an "impostor" if it helps. But again, in the absence of a rule telling you to actually do something, you don't get to do it.

In that case of one copy of the unique character in play, another copy in my dead pile - I can't play my third copy of the card as a dupe on the character in play then, right?

Ratatoskr said:

In that case of one copy of the unique character in play, another copy in my dead pile - I can't play my third copy of the card as a dupe on the character in play then, right?
Actually, you can. The rules on uniques specifically say that playing a dupe on a card that is in play is an exception to the "can't play or put into play rule." What it kind of comes down to is that when you play a copy of Eddard Stark as a dupe, you are considered to have played a dupe, not Eddard Stark. Since you did not play Eddard Stark, you have not violated the rules on unique - copy in your dead pile or not.