Sign in to follow this  
Curator

Do you guys want big expansions for this game?

Bjerlk said:

Have been trying to figure out new kind of puzzles for the game. The ones that are in now are too easy i.m.h.o. But at the same time they should be puzles that are easily customizable.

Tangram and wooden puzzles are kinda out on that front.

Math ones?

Wierd languages?

Maybe water ones similar to electrical but water can only flow in a certain direction?

Marble ones?

Labyrinth ones that you only see a part of the maze as you use points to move one step at a time?

Builda model from a chart in time?

But I would like to see some kind of 3d version of a puzzle...

The puzzle aspect of the game should be expanded upon, enhanced and refined. Also, they don't really have to be linked to square cardboard tiles.

What about a puzzle that require a paper and a pen? (use your imagination)

What about a Riddle?

Or Deciphering a combination of weird letters.

Or an Investigator vs. Keeper interactive puzzle (not direct confrontation but a puzzle that requires the keeper to be more interactive with the player) like a hang man game (where the investigator must guess letters) and the keeper will tell the investigator if the letter is correct or not and if not they reduce 1 point (out of the total of the investigator's intelligence) until either the investigator fails or succeeds.

3D Puzzles are always welcome. But I'm more into fast and more interactive puzzles than puzzles that would take a long time yet serves one investigator.

Bjerlk said:

Have been trying to figure out new kind of puzzles for the game. The ones that are in now are too easy i.m.h.o. But at the same time they should be puzles that are easily customizable.

Tangram and wooden puzzles are kinda out on that front.

Math ones?

Wierd languages?

Maybe water ones similar to electrical but water can only flow in a certain direction?

Marble ones?

Labyrinth ones that you only see a part of the maze as you use points to move one step at a time?

Builda model from a chart in time?

But I would like to see some kind of 3d version of a puzzle...

Maybe a limerick contest.

"There once was a man from innsmouth

Whose sanity went slowly south

he found out one day

(in a serious way)

That the deep ones were of the same house"

"Dunwich the strange man was from

His mother, deformed hideous scum

His Father, Unknown,

Yog-Sothoth later shown

To a gaurd dog's attack the man later succumbed"

I would like to see a few smaller ones like the PoD's they are doing, then maybe an anniversary big box game with lots of new content.  Maybe a book of scenarios after a bit of time with some new quests that encompass all the expansions components to date.

Yes, absolutely!

A big box with more monsters, investigators, room tiles, spells, new PUZZLES and new adventures of course. So more of everything for everyone! Also, they could include a "Keepers screen" for the keeper to cover up secrets and with some handy rules and stuff (like a roleplaying GM-screen).

I'm up for a mixture-like Arkham.

But big boxes are definitely something I want. I want more figs, investigators, map tiles and adventures. I want "ghost town" type scenarios, maybe even different floors in a tower or underground, hell even steal the ship desigs from Descent Sea of Blood. Outdoor type adventures, too. Like forest tiles with occaisional cabins, caves, or, of course, stone altars.

Arkham Horror succeded in adding a thematic element with every expansion covering both Lovecraftian geography and famous Great Old Ones/Elder Gods. I think MoM covered particular stories (In the Mountains of Madness!!!).

And well, as long as Erich Zan appears somewhere...

Personally, I'm looking forward to whatever FFG has planned for this game.   I purchased the core game as soon as it became available, then did the same for the POD expansion.  I'm looking forward to "The Silver Tablet" POD expansion when it comes out as well.

I can't imagine FFG not putting out a box expansion sometime in the future, but I don't expect it immediately.  There are so many other games I want to try out, so I'm not in a huge hurry for a large expansion.  "Season of the Witch" certainly helped satiate my gaming group, and we still have two more of the original scenarios to play through before we've tried them all once.  I'm grooming one of the other players to take over a scenario as Keeper and have desperately been trying to avoid reading through the Keeper Guide and clues as a result.

Someone earlier mentioned the possibility of a book of scenarios.  I could see that, but it would need to at least come with clue cards packaged with it.  If it's only one book, the Keeper has to do all the setting up as he/she wouldn't want to risk the Investigators sneaking a peek at clue locations and whatnot.

So many possibilities.  I can't wait to see what comes out next.

I thought about it for a while, and I would eventually like to see a campaign expansion filled with a ton of new location tiles and perhaps one or two large enemy figures for the end of the campaign.  Imagine starting in Miskatonic University and then traveling the world in search of artifacts and strange locales (Egypt, Antarctica, etc) in search of horrifying truths.  I imagine it done in such a way that the game scales depending on whether the Keeper or the Investigators won the previous game.  All the campaigns would eventually lead to a final confrontation with one of the Great Ones (Yog-Sothoth, Nyarlothotep, Cthulhu!).  Oh man, I want.

causeitwasfunny said:

I thought about it for a while, and I would eventually like to see a campaign expansion filled with a ton of new location tiles and perhaps one or two large enemy figures for the end of the campaign.  Imagine starting in Miskatonic University and then traveling the world in search of artifacts and strange locales (Egypt, Antarctica, etc) in search of horrifying truths.  I imagine it done in such a way that the game scales depending on whether the Keeper or the Investigators won the previous game.  All the campaigns would eventually lead to a final confrontation with one of the Great Ones (Yog-Sothoth, Nyarlothotep, Cthulhu!).  Oh man, I want.

This clearly will be too much.

What a big gox expansion needs is:

*A few bonus scenarios as well as updates to older ones(for example adding abailability of new monsters into the old scenarios to somewhat refresh them as well as updating some scenario rules and maybe tileset).

*Some new map tiles.

*1-2 new investigators.

*1-2 new humanoid monsters, 1 beast monster  and 1 new eldrich monster(dark young please).

*New mythos/trauma/keepr action/battle cards to enhance already played scenarios.

*Not sure about locks and obstacle cards(puzzles included), but if dev's find a way to put them in old scenarios as well(update them as I stated before), that would be great.

*Obviously new exploration cards for the new scenarios and maybe some for updated old ones.

*Spell cards could use a little addition, but only slight, and not that necessary.

Game is already good as it is, turning it into some sort of campaign will be overdoing it.

Ofcourse everything I said is strictly my opinion, dont get offended.

Personally I am happy with the variety of monsters and investigators.  What I would prefer to see (and would be cheaper and easier to produce) would be a greater number of attack cards.  Currently, some attacks come up with disturbing frequency (sharp melee attack anyone?).  It seems to me that adding more of these cards would be a very cheap and easy way to quickly add more variety. 

...and the addition of a book of new scenarios, of course!  While this obviously requires new clue, event, and objective cards - it seems that there could be many stories that could be played out using the existing assets in most cases, with perhaps an additional map tile or two.  Considering the fact that those tiles are dual sided, the addition of just one or two would be a pretty big deal.

Big expansions would be more worth the money now that I have played the game and purchased the SotW expansion.  $20 bux for 1 scenario (including shipping), is very high, considering the core game cost $70 ish?  I understand there are multiple plays of this one scenario, but its one scenario.

Purchase 5 of these PoD titles and you're in for $100 smackeroos, and the game will not have expanded all that much.  They MUST lower the cost of the PoD if thats the route they choose for this game, otherwise wait for the big box and release it all in a big gush.

Love the game, and hope for more to come.

I WILL definitely want big box expansions and I WILL definitely buy big box expansions for this game.

We have now played through all of the stories, except Story #5 due to the fact that we did not have 4 players. We have played them all once except for Story #1, which we played twice. Although some people are concerned about replayability I think this game has got replay value. The second time we played Story #1 I only changed my first choice and the game turned out a lot different. If it really starts to become a problem, FFG can always introduce additional clues and/or objective cards for the existing stories/maps. They can also include new lock cards, obstacle cards and exploration cards (items) that can be replaced with those currently in the keeper setup. Including the use of other keeper action cards with certain story choice would also increase the replayability.

I would also like the following in big box expansions:

-additional investigators like Leo Anderson, Dexter Drake and Mark Harrigan (at least 4 new investigators); one or two additional trait cards per investigator might also be good.

-additional tiles; woods, parks, docks (Kingsport) themed tiles would also be great. I also thought that some tiles can include other dimensions. (Even though it's mansions of madness it doesn't necessarily need to play out in a mansion)

-additional monsters; I don't have to say much here - I'm sure everybody wants more monsters (there are so many cool and different monsters in H.P.Lovecraft's themes)

-additional stories with lots of choices for the keeper (choices = more possibilities)

Aside from all of this, how about a book of community created stories/ideas?

Mansions of Madness is AWESOME. Great job Corey.

Thanks.

I'd like to see everything that has been asked for in this thread (new monsters, investigators, tiles, puzzles, stories... the idea of tiles of other dimensions would be great for a house with a portal). More things I'd love to see in a big expansion:

Some way to make less linear adventures, with 2 or lore possible rooms to be chosen at some points by the investigators (like a short, difficult route or a long and easier one, or an optional item that can be found outside the main path of the story), or clues that could be about two rooms or more (maybe additional clues can help the players to tell the good room apart, but it would require deviating from the main path too).

While randomness should be limited, more random elements in the layout of the stories would add to the replayability of the stories. Maybe having alternative event cards with little variations (like the keeper putting 3 darkness markers or him putting 1 and investigators in that room checking horror). Alternatively, the story could imply that the ritual must take place in a room that will be determinated by a supernatural signal, or the like (something out of the keeper's control)

Some elements like color-coded ladders would be fine (ladders of one colour would communicate with others of the same colour), thus allowing multiple ladder connections in the map. On second thought, maybe letter markers (A, B, C...) would be more flexible than that.

Some stories could allow the keeper to lay part of the map... when the investigators find it. I always found odd that everybody knows from the beginning where the "secret passage" is. An Exploration card called "secret door" can be very useful for this. Of course, it would be best used if there are more than one places to put them.

An idea I had a few days ago was Furniture cards: They are in a room, under the lock card but over obstacle and exploration cards, and they would be read the first time an investigator enters the room. They would mostly be descriptive ("this room is especially moldy", "the moonlight seems to play with your mind here", "in a huge mirror, you can see a shadow behind you but when you turn there's nothing there", "you can see a strange picture of an extremely ugly man"...), but clues can point to them ("the room where the picture of great-uncle Dorian is") and some of them can have instructions to place corpse markers, darkness, ladders... Sometimes there can be even instructions to put blocked door markers ("where you expected to see a door there is a solid wall, with bricks, concrete and paint cans all around the room") or a new element: Door markers, that connect rooms that weren't supposed to be connected ("you enter the room, only to find a huge hole in the wall, made by a clumsy worker... or by someone very strong")

An example of the two previous points: a rope that can be thrown by a hole to access another room. The hole would be a Furniture card, and when it appears, the keeper would place the rooms with which it communicates. The instructions would instruct the characters to put a ladder there when a player brings a rope.

To finish, a guide to create pretty balanced homemade stories would be fine (depending of the objectives, how many monsters would be there, and how long the time limit could be, how many tiles to use for short or long adventures...)

I've been thinking, wouldn't it be cool to have a bigger expansion involving a scenarios with Innsmouth. Then maybe, we could get dock map tile like "Ze Armoured sheep" wanted and some Deep ones and have some awesome new monsters in there as well. I also would like to see some freaky new tentacle monsters, along with Cthulhu. But, am not too sure, if  Cthulhu would prov to be too powerful for the Investigators. However, you would have to admit, It would be a marvelous battle.

I guess, if I got to make my dream expansion for Mansions of Madness. I would have:

• Two to three new scenarios. (With one dealing with Innsmouth.)
  • Three new Investigators , along with there Character cards
  • Five new double side map tiles ( 2 medium tiles, 3 smaller map tiles. Which would include: Abandoned room with a summer's circle painted in blood, a dock, a green house, inside to crypt , and a beach or a pond.)
  • Twelve new monsters ( 9 Humanoid,and 3 Eldrich. Which would include: Deep ones "fish like people" ,a living plant, few more witches, freaky tentacle monster and Cthulhu. {if he didn't prof too powerful}
  • One to two new puzzle
  • and Twelve new keeper cards

MyNeighbourTrololo said:

You know, there IS another dimension in Season of the Witch expansion.

Also, according to latest FFG news, next expansion will be another PoD scenario. 

You know, POD expansions aren't being [currently, at least] translated, and this is a language-dependant game. I can´t use them wiyh my players

Yes, definitely.

New investigators, new puzzle pieces, new rooms, whatever you will think of to fill it. I was never disappointed in an Arkham Horror expansion so why would I be there ?

Also small expansions with new scenarios to fill the gaps. Because as was previously said by someone else, if we play another language edition (understand here the french one) PoD are not usable with our gamers (we who are here are english speaking, but not all of our friends are...), and they're not translated so far (but something may be done later on, let's wait and see).

Nirnel said:

MyNeighbourTrololo said:

You know, there IS another dimension in Season of the Witch expansion.

Also, according to latest FFG news, next expansion will be another PoD scenario. 

You know, POD expansions aren't being [currently, at least] translated, and this is a language-dependant game. I can´t use them wiyh my players

Two things: 

1) I cant find any logical connection between your reply and my post.

2) I know english enough to assume the role of a keeper, all other players dont know english at all and we still playing and having fun, can't see a problem here.

Keeper is handling all the reading anyways.