Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
sonofachung

Picked Up the Revised Dark Pharaoh Expansion

Recommended Posts

 Hey,

Just wanted to let everyone know I found the revised Curs of the Dark Pharoah at my FLGS today so it might be worth a try to give yours a call. No sign of Miskatonic yet unfortunately. If anyone has any questions or is curious about the contents, I can try to answer them.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

sonofachung said:

 Hey,

Just wanted to let everyone know I found the revised Curs of the Dark Pharoah at my FLGS today so it might be worth a try to give yours a call. No sign of Miskatonic yet unfortunately. If anyone has any questions or is curious about the contents, I can try to answer them.



Whoo HOOOOO! ;'D

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

sonofachung said:

 Hey,

Just wanted to let everyone know I found the revised Curs of the Dark Pharoah at my FLGS today so it might be worth a try to give yours a call. No sign of Miskatonic yet unfortunately. If anyone has any questions or is curious about the contents, I can try to answer them.

Sure. In your estimation, how much is different from the original set? Are there new Exhibit items or have some of them been reworked?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

1. The exhibits have been pretty heavily reworked. All the Masks that granted the ability of another investigator have been changed to something else. 3 of them let you exhaust to use the other stat in the pair at a -1 in lieu of the original (for instance Will -1 instead of a Fight check). One lets you exhaust and spend a clue token before drawing from the Mythos and allows you to put it on the bottom of the deck. My personal favorite Mask, lets you exhaust to gain any common or unique item you have the opportunity to purchase. The 3 Parchments of the Elder Sign changed to 3 different items (1st/2nd/3rd Elder Sign Fragment) and are more reliable, lose 1 Stam or Sanity to close/seal/remove doom token depending on which fragment you have. The Pentagram of Blood isn't worthless anymore. Now lets you spend X Stam and discard to send a monster with X toughness back to the cup.

 

2. I flipped through 5 of the encounters for the neighborhoods. They are mostly unchanged, some text clarified (if you don't have X, then nothing happens for example) and the take a Barred from Neighborhood replaced with place a Patrol token. A few of the encounters have changed slightly, for ex the one Velma's diner encounter that requires a Retainer, Silver Twilight Membership or Deputy doesn't require you to discard it anymore.

 

3. The herald remains unchaged.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

sonofachung said:

1. The exhibits have been pretty heavily reworked. All the Masks that granted the ability of another investigator have been changed to something else. 3 of them let you exhaust to use the other stat in the pair at a -1 in lieu of the original (for instance Will -1 instead of a Fight check). One lets you exhaust and spend a clue token before drawing from the Mythos and allows you to put it on the bottom of the deck. My personal favorite Mask, lets you exhaust to gain any common or unique item you have the opportunity to purchase. The 3 Parchments of the Elder Sign changed to 3 different items (1st/2nd/3rd Elder Sign Fragment) and are more reliable, lose 1 Stam or Sanity to close/seal/remove doom token depending on which fragment you have. The Pentagram of Blood isn't worthless anymore. Now lets you spend X Stam and discard to send a monster with X toughness back to the cup.

 

2. I flipped through 5 of the encounters for the neighborhoods. They are mostly unchanged, some text clarified (if you don't have X, then nothing happens for example) and the take a Barred from Neighborhood replaced with place a Patrol token. A few of the encounters have changed slightly, for ex the one Velma's diner encounter that requires a Retainer, Silver Twilight Membership or Deputy doesn't require you to discard it anymore.

 

3. The herald remains unchaged.

Cool.  Is there much new art?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 I didn't catch any new artwork outside of the new components like the patrol and ancient whispers markers and the box art. Herald and investigator cards use the same artwork and the new Exhibit Encounters have no artwork save for the card back.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

sonofachung said:

 I didn't catch any new artwork outside of the new components like the patrol and ancient whispers markers and the box art. Herald and investigator cards use the same artwork and the new Exhibit Encounters have no artwork save for the card back.



Makes sense that they'd recycle their images.  But still kind of disappointing ;')

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My burning questions is: is it worth it to spend 25 bucks on a totally revamped CotDP expansion and toss away the old version (or better yet, use it as firewood)? Is it a major improvement? What do you think sonofachung?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

mi-go hunter said:

My burning questions is: is it worth it to spend 25 bucks on a totally revamped CotDP expansion and toss away the old version (or better yet, use it as firewood)? Is it a major improvement? What do you think sonofachung?



Well...  From my perspective, 25 bucks isn't *that* much.  So...  I'm shelling it out.  It has enough new stuff in it that I'll be interested regardless.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Avi_dreader said:

mi-go hunter said:

 

My burning questions is: is it worth it to spend 25 bucks on a totally revamped CotDP expansion and toss away the old version (or better yet, use it as firewood)? Is it a major improvement? What do you think sonofachung?

 



Well...  From my perspective, 25 bucks isn't *that* much.  So...  I'm shelling it out.  It has enough new stuff in it that I'll be interested regardless.

 

Plus you can buy it for about $17.00 at a lot of game stores. Online and regular stores.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Musha Shukou said:

 

Avi_dreader said:

 

mi-go hunter said:

 

My burning questions is: is it worth it to spend 25 bucks on a totally revamped CotDP expansion and toss away the old version (or better yet, use it as firewood)? Is it a major improvement? What do you think sonofachung?

 



Well...  From my perspective, 25 bucks isn't *that* much.  So...  I'm shelling it out.  It has enough new stuff in it that I'll be interested regardless.

 

 

 

Plus you can buy it for about $17.00 at a lot of game stores. Online and regular stores.

 



Apparently my game store is ripping me off then :'r

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm happy they changed the masks, they kinda wonky. Now the only thing for me is to wait for the German version (stupid translation takes too long). 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Avi_dreader said:

 

Apparently my game store is ripping me off then

I've never seen a game store that had their regular price below MSRP.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Avi_dreader said:

Musha Shukou said:

 

 That sucks! sad.gif My game store is AWESOME. They always have killer prices. I bet you can order from them, too, if you were so inclined. They are called Boardgame Revolution and their website is www.boardgamerevolution.com.

 

 

They probably charge for shipping?

Hello Avi_dreader,

If you have a problem with the prices you getdelivery cost you can always try http://www.bookdepository.co.uk/

they have a bit of a sketchy supply updates but they have free delivery, and you can be noticed when the they resupply.

I just bought there today, both Lurker and the King in yellow for 41$. (forgot I had a 10% off coupon)

If you want I can send you a coupon.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Avi_dreader said:

Musha Shukou said:

 

 That sucks! sad.gif My game store is AWESOME. They always have killer prices. I bet you can order from them, too, if you were so inclined. They are called Boardgame Revolution and their website is www.boardgamerevolution.com.

 

 

They probably charge for shipping?

Naturally, they charge for shipping, but my last few purchases from their website, including shipping, were still cheaper than MSRP.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 I'll confirm that the game is out in places, as I also have my copy.

Another thing that was changed were the draw X monsters from the cup and put them on locations mythos cards. Originally, I think there was one for the asylum streets with 3 maniacs and one with 2 ghosts in the Miskatonic streets. Now, those cards have been changed to headline events that make everyone in the streets make a Fight (-1) or Will (-1) check respectively, or take stamina/sanity damage. People who have 2+ successes get an Exhibit Item. Also, the clothing drive was slightly revamped, and has the 'Mummy' stats directly printed on the card.

The dual color gate encounters are still in there as well. The benifit/detriments were slightly revamped. PI lets you un-delay another investigator rather than ignore the barred mechanic, which doesn't exist anymore. Harried now moves a monster to your location every turn on a failed skill check and goes away when you kill a monster with toughness 2 or higher. Visions gives another Investigator +1 Focus. Local Guide gives -1 Focus and goes away when you get $10. Tainted only makes you roll twice for curses and goes away when you are blessed. Wanted makes you spend $1 or lower your speed completely every turn before adjustments and goes away when you make a seal. Psychic and annointed are the same. The allies have all been reworked and give less bonuses than before. Most of them have been changed from a +2/+2 on various combat checks to +1/+1 on the regular skill checks. Some have just had one of the +2s removed. The Messenger has totally been reworked. You'll have to find out him for yourself...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I hope they balanced some of the encounters better.  I didn't mind the Exhibit Items, or the Barred mechanic, but I didn't like how some of the encounters basically handed you a free seal.  Like this one from the Unnameable:

"You see a warped mirror. If you look into it, you see yourself in another time and place, holding an ankh in one hand and a sacrificial blade in the other. Your number of Clue tokens doubles, but if you gain more than 3 Clue tokens in this manner, you are Cursed."

or this one from the Unvisited Isle:

"Something calls to you from the island's heart... if only you could find it! Make a Luck (-2) check or exhaust the Find Gate spell, Dynamite item, or Gate Box item to automatically pass. If you pass, you manage to create a tunnel down into the earth. Gain 1d6 Clue tokens. If you exhausted an item or spell to pass the check and gained more that 3 Clue tokens, you must discard the item or spell used."

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...