Sign in to follow this  
NullARC

Value of Purchasing Original Core Game with Release of Updated Version?

Hi,

I'm new to the forums. I haven't purchased a copy of DT yet but I have fallen in love with this game. I will soon be purchasing a copy. I noticed the announcement of the release of the new core game. My Question is, do you guys think that it is still a good idea to purchase the original core game since the update is coming out? It seems like it would be to me, just because you get the original models, tiles and obstacles, which I do not believe come with the updated version. Just wanted your opinions. Thanks in advance your your help!

- Marc

NullARC said:

Hi,

I'm new to the forums. I haven't purchased a copy of DT yet but I have fallen in love with this game. I will soon be purchasing a copy. I noticed the announcement of the release of the new core game. My Question is, do you guys think that it is still a good idea to purchase the original core game since the update is coming out? It seems like it would be to me, just because you get the original models, tiles and obstacles, which I do not believe come with the updated version. Just wanted your opinions. Thanks in advance your your help!

- Marc

With what you get with the original core game, I would purchase it.  I am also looking forward to the new core.  I currently have a original core and a premium original core and now that I know they are going with a new core, I am thinking about buying another original core.  Correct on the original core not having the updated cards, but thats ok I can live with that.  I have already put stickers on my cards with the new values. 

Good luck buddy and have fun.

Dan

i stickered my old cards as well.  there was a lot of hullabaloo with the change in points value (FFG gets blamed, but no one has stated whether Dust Games or FFG actually initiated the change), but the hullabaloo isn't really neccessary since the original point values seemed based on the units armor value, so just use that of you want a simpler points mechanic.

and i would definitely get one original core set AND one of the revised, they're all new squad types, so neither is redundant.  and both are terrific values.

I have a question that may not fit into this post, but then again it might...and it's possible to be too soon to even know this.  But at any rate, here goes.  With the announcement of the new core set (with new minis, etc, which means yes I'll grab it!) I noticed they were advertising the "Dust Tactics Unit Card Upgrade Pack" for upgraded unit cards.

Does anyone know if that pack is "only" for points value and (maybe) putting a "C" on Knives and Grenades?  Or will this have other stats updated on these units.  I wouldn't mind buying the card pack (probably will), but if it only has one card per unit type I'm in a bind as I purchased multiple copies of some units to have larger standing forces.  I hadn't even though of putting stickers on the cards (thank you guys for that!!!), but if it's "just" points it's even less of a deal for me.

Maroszek said:

I have a question that may not fit into this post, but then again it might...and it's possible to be too soon to even know this.  But at any rate, here goes.  With the announcement of the new core set (with new minis, etc, which means yes I'll grab it!) I noticed they were advertising the "Dust Tactics Unit Card Upgrade Pack" for upgraded unit cards.

Does anyone know if that pack is "only" for points value and (maybe) putting a "C" on Knives and Grenades?  Or will this have other stats updated on these units.  I wouldn't mind buying the card pack (probably will), but if it only has one card per unit type I'm in a bind as I purchased multiple copies of some units to have larger standing forces.  I hadn't even though of putting stickers on the cards (thank you guys for that!!!), but if it's "just" points it's even less of a deal for me.

no updated stats, just adapting them to the new rules (points and C). This is the only thing i think Ffg has done horribly wrong with the game so far. when malifaux went from version 1 to version 2 cards, they did a turn in redemption program. ffg is charging us $15 for the favor. So i went to Michaels and bought some number stickers to amend my own cards.

I'm seriously thinking about getting another original dust box when i have the extra cash.  Its the best deal available and I expect with the new set coming in the fall it will be unavailable sometime before then. 

I'll get the new set of course as it looks awesome, especially the new axis armor 3 squads.  I'm hopeing everything in the new core will be released separately later like they did with the old core.

$ for $ the 'old' starter is worth every penny.  Buying those walkers and squads seperate is well over a $100 right off the bat.  plus you get the terrain, tiles, etc.  And right now there isnt any other way to get Sig and Joe (except maybe ebay?).

As for the cards, im going to buy em.  Theyll prolly just be point updates, but FFG gives us such good deals on starters and rules (the rulebooks are FREE!) that im inclined to throw em some cash on whats prolly a high margin item for them. 

yeah Marc,

and really the BEST way is to find a fereind that wants in too.. and swap forces.. so you end up with double the side you want.

Im almost always looking  for someone looking to trade or go in on a box even.

I too recommends getting it. You may need to update some rules and point values when the new core set comes out, but it's a very cost efficient way to get a starting set. I've also feel the Original Core Set might be better starting point as it is more balanced and has more walkers and hero-squad options than the Revised Core Set does.

Overall, you may eventually dump $15 more on the upgrade cards, but you'll definately get your money's worth and very pleased with your purchase.

You don't need the points printed on the card to play the game, so I've just left them as they are, I've made a spreadsheet to work armies out on which gives both values and strangely enough if I take one of each unit I have they come out at the same value for both sides whichever method I use.

I love this game and strongly recommend getting the original core set while you can - although I plan to get at least two of the revised sets when they come out, the original is an AWESOME deal for the price.  The four walkers alone will cost you as much as the entire core set.  I have three core sets already and a fourth is in the mail to arrive next week.

I just got the original set, but still never played the game. I love the models and the theme, and since it comes with models for both factions I can get folks in my club into it without them having to invest a ton of money right off the bat like other games.

The old starter set seemed like a no brainer. It's got a lot of great models in it, and to me it's well with the price for what you get in it. I totally intend to get the new starter as well, and that'll give me 2 nice sized armies. I think the only thing that changed is the point costs for units, so you could just update your old cards or buy the new updated cards too. I would get the core set while you still can. 

I just got my first base box delivered yesterday and after getting it home and opening it up, I immediatly went online and ordered a second one. It's more than worth its value. If you are in the USA, the base game is 71 bucks shipped from amazon.

My command troops for each faction also arrived today. Buying 4 walkers alone is more than buying a base game. Miniaturemarket.com has amazing prices on their stuff. They are out of the base game atm tho. I'm even thinking of maybe buying a 3rd base set or splitting it w/ someone as it might go up in price after being discontinued. These minis are that good!

zuggzugg said:

I just got my first base box delivered yesterday and after getting it home and opening it up, I immediatly went online and ordered a second one. It's more than worth its value. If you are in the USA, the base game is 71 bucks shipped from amazon.

My command troops for each faction also arrived today. Buying 4 walkers alone is more than buying a base game. Miniaturemarket.com has amazing prices on their stuff. They are out of the base game atm tho. I'm even thinking of maybe buying a 3rd base set or splitting it w/ someone as it might go up in price after being discontinued. These minis are that good!

The War Store also has it cheap. I think the base game there is $65

Peacekeeper_b said:

zuggzugg said:

Just checked, its 69 bucks there and shipping is extra. Amazon's was 71 bucks and change WITH shipping included.

Warstore is a few dollars more. but with the smallest squads only being 10 bucks, thats 1/2 of a squad! :)

Also, miniaturemarket.com has free shipping for orders over 75 bucks. They currently have everything aside from the base game in stock.

9.99 troops

16 dollar walkers

25 dollar expos..

cant beat it!

zuggzugg said:

Peacekeeper_b said:

zuggzugg said:

Just checked, its 69 bucks there and shipping is extra. Amazon's was 71 bucks and change WITH shipping included.

Warstore is a few dollars more. but with the smallest squads only being 10 bucks, thats 1/2 of a squad! :)

Also, miniaturemarket.com has free shipping for orders over 75 bucks. They currently have everything aside from the base game in stock.

9.99 troops

16 dollar walkers

25 dollar expos..

cant beat it!

Will have to look into that!

Hello, my question ties back to the original.

I'm currently going to pick up the original base box, but how much have the rules changed in the new revised edition? Is the original rulebook superseded or is this just a minor amendments & folding the FAQ into the main rule book?

Want the main box for the models, but I don't want to end up with two sets of tiles if it turns out the revised core set is essential (new minis notwithstanding)

Oh.......and roll on Dust WARFARE!

Cheers

Fenrir Kitsune said:

Hello, my question ties back to the original.

I'm currently going to pick up the original base box, but how much have the rules changed in the new revised edition? Is the original rulebook superseded or is this just a minor amendments & folding the FAQ into the main rule book?

Want the main box for the models, but I don't want to end up with two sets of tiles if it turns out the revised core set is essential (new minis notwithstanding)

Oh.......and roll on Dust WARFARE!

Cheers

There wont be any change except probably pulling together all the additions from the previous campaign books.

Im still looking to get another base set. When I get back from vacation Im going to try to find a cheap one or get some people to go in on a new set. (Usually they are about $75 on ebay, Id gladly go in $25 with two other people to get a walker, two squads, 4 dice, a tank trap and so forth).

Im trying to have a decent sized force, but want to keep my walkers to 5 or less (just not a robot/anime guy). Another reason why I wished they had normal tanks in the game.