Sign in to follow this  
Peacekeeper_b

2011 Releases

So far we have had 3 of the 6 books for 2011 released, not bad considering we are in the 6th month of the year. 

What are you looking forward the most of what is left? I am looking forward the most toward Only War. However I am pleased to see the background options and optional ranks in Daemon Hunters had several of the Career: Any options and hope Book of Judgement and Only War continue this trend to broaden character options.

Though I was a bit dissappointed in the background options in Daemon Hunters, the alternate ranks look very intriguing. But I still place the book overall 4th in the characer guides category (Inquisitor's Handbook is still #1, followed by Radical's Handbook and then Blood of Martyrs).

I assume Book of Judgemnt will have alternate ranks for Adept and Scum as well as Arbitrator and probably most other carers as well. Detective could be Adept, Undercover agent could be scum, SWAT team could be guardsman, Precinct House Pastor would be cleric and a whole score of options for Arbitrator (and even scum as well) and I do see Only War doing the same, with Munitorum Ecclessiarchy (Cleric), Officers (Adept), scouts (Scum), Military Police (Arbitrators), Snipers (Assassins) and so forth. Hopefully the background packaged will cover well known regiments (Brontian Longswords, Maccabbean Jannissaries, Royal Scourges and so forth). Only time will tell.

However, after Black Speulcher I very much dount i pick up the follow on adventures, marking the first books I will not buy in the Dark Heresy line.

I do assume next year we will see something focused more on adepts, assassins and a trilogy of adventures around xenos.

Well, for the next year I think FFG will go ahead and try to tackle the Adeptus Mechanicus, which would be trully brilliant. I also think that such a sourcebook would merit 256 pages and I'm hoping for the detailed desciption of the AdMech factions (a'la the radical factions in RH with conspiracies and adventure seeds for the GM), tons of implants and cybernetics and fine gazetters for the Lathe System in Calixis. Also, this would be the perfect place for the game developers to explain different technological levels and how common/scarce they are in the Sector (i.e. who has access to rejuvenation methods, who common are "holo-shows", etc.). It would be great to see the Dark Mechanicus detailed here too, although with the upcoming release of Black Crusade, the heretek might be better served in a BC sourcebook.

Also, I expect more Ordos sourcebooks, maybe Ordo Xenos for 2012.

Lastly, we really-really need that sector sourcebook detailing worlds of the Calixis Sector. 256 pages please, not a thin 144 booklet (although this might just be wishful thinking, as FFG seems to have their plates full with 4 RPGs now and they have clearly decided that it's more profitable to produce 144-page books for 40$, than it is to write an additional 100 pages for 10 bucks more).   

Only War, hands down. I have high expectations of that book, and really hope they'll be fulfilled - at least for the most part.

New IG weapon and vehicle options? Refined rules for tactical engagements? Guard campaigns? Yes please!

The Book of Law will also be interesting because Arbites, Enforcers and Hives have a lot of style as well, but in the end it comes slightly behind Only War.

There's a paradox yet to be solved:

What we'd desperately need is a book on the Adeptus Mechanicus. The problem being that there is next to no canon regarding them. And since FFG always have to report back to GW regarding fluff, I doubt there will be official material any time soon. Bummer?

Dok Martin said:

What we'd desperately need is a book on the Adeptus Mechanicus. The problem being that there is next to no canon regarding them. And since FFG always have to report back to GW regarding fluff, I doubt there will be official material any time soon. Bummer?

Not really. There has also been next to no canon on a lot of other subjects and they still made it into books - both by FFG as well as Black Library. The ability of licensee products to establish solid canon to which even GW needs to adhere to is generally overrated. Gav Thorpe once said that GW will simply adopt the parts they like and forget about the rest.

Just look at what little GW canon exists for the Deathwatch, and they got their very own RPG (which even contradicts the existing canon on a few accounts).

On that basis, I do not find it at all unlikely that the Mechanicus will get its own supplement sometime down the road. The authors from FFG will also have to invent a lot of new stuff for the Adeptus Arbites if they intend to fill a book with them.

Why this would be a problem?

I'm sure that Calixis sector is not present in any codex. So, it's not canon. So, the ENTIRE Dark Heresy is not canon!

GW is only worried about part of the fluff involved in the selling of tabletop game.

I think there are more bounds in Deathwatch than in Dark Heresy.

The next thing I want to get my hands on is Book of Judgement.I stil have the absurd hope that it will contain some details about "Lex Imperials" and thereby a better framework in regard to what is "Heresy by Law". But since BoM did not gave us any such valuables in regard to the creed (like: core virtues or cardinal sins besides not accepting the God-Emperor as what he is) I fear this hope is...well, absurd.

If I would have a wish for "what else", I would say a book about Psykers and their role in society. While our knowledge about Adeptus Mechanicus is slim, our knowledge about regular Psykers is worse (if their are not part of the Inquisiton or the Imperial Guard).

Regarding adventures, I hope they stop writing triologies. I belong to those -hating- "Black Sepulchre" and will not even care for the follow-up as a PDF-purchase (unless they have include some other valuable background material).
in regard to adventures, I would wish for something like "Purge the Unclean": a book with a couple (two, three our four) adventures. They do not even need to be linkend.

By the time "Only war" will be out, my both groups are likely to have reached Rank 8. At this point, we will stop it for a while

Lynata said:

Dok Martin said:

Not really. There has also been next to no canon on a lot of other subjects and they still made it into books - both by FFG as well as Black Library. The ability of licensee products to establish solid canon to which even GW needs to adhere to is generally overrated. Gav Thorpe once said that GW will simply adopt the parts they like and forget about the rest.

Just look at what little GW canon exists for the Deathwatch, and they got their very own RPG (which even contradicts the existing canon on a few accounts).

On that basis, I do not find it at all unlikely that the Mechanicus will get its own supplement sometime down the road. The authors from FFG will also have to invent a lot of new stuff for the Adeptus Arbites if they intend to fill a book with them.

I hear ya. Would be about time too. So let's hope for the best.