Sign in to follow this  
Donikage

Hard Cover vs Soft Cover

Hey y'all, I'm looking to pick up an Inquisitor's Handbook. I've found them in both hardcover and softcover. Is there any difference in content between the two? I understand the softcover was published by Black Industries while the hardcover was produced by FFG. Any difference?

Donikage said:

Hey y'all, I'm looking to pick up an Inquisitor's Handbook. I've found them in both hardcover and softcover. Is there any difference in content between the two? I understand the softcover was published by Black Industries while the hardcover was produced by FFG. Any difference?

As a side note, did anyone else feel temporarily cast back into Rogue Trader-era 40k by the thread title? Never mind, please carry on with the thread.

Alex

Aside from hardcover being generally more "reliable" (if the binding has been done correctly - my old BL DH Core Rulebook still looks as new, whilst the IH looks very worn by now), I believe that the FFG version includes some errata. Afaik it's still not the newest version, but still.

Soft cover merely obscures the target, but won't stop a bullet (ie bushes, internal walls). Hard cover both impares line of sight to the target and provides a measure of ballistic protection (stone walls, sandbags).

Ah...oh... n/m... gran_risa.gif

Are the softcover versions any cheaper? I've seen them at the store but never had them price checked. I run Rogue Trader and a cheaper version of DotDG would be cool just for the extra fluff and such

Siranui said:

Soft cover merely obscures the target, but won't stop a bullet (ie bushes, internal walls). Hard cover both impares line of sight to the target and provides a measure of ballistic protection (stone walls, sandbags).

Ah...oh... n/m... gran_risa.gif

LOL gui%C3%B1o.gif

But I'd buy the hardcover book because I like hardcover books, and we all know how the gaming table can become a hazardous environment for books, and hardcovers have a higher toughness bonus.

Hard. The soft cover ones just do not hurt the player as much as you would like when you hit them over the head for asking if they can use the Metalican Gunslinger or the Templar Calix alternate ranks.

For anything other than the core rulebook, I suggest getting the digital versions and a cheap laptop. The laptop should be lighter than any two books, while holding quite a lot of them. A laptop is also a good place for your notes and any helpful programs you might find or write (secret dice rolls are much easier to keep secret with a laptop + dice roller than with dice).

For the core rulebook, go hardcover. You will be wanting to use it often enough that the convenience of a physical copy is useful.