Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
N0-1_H3r3

Inspired by Mark of the Xenos: Tau Battlesuit brainstorming

63 posts in this topic

Kroots and Kroot hounds with Psyniscience skill :)

"Feel the Warp flowing through you!" :D

That will do as a starter for 10 - do you tihnk unnatural perception should effect it?

Be cautious about the Nicassar though, they tend to only do well in low gravity environments and are a little docile. Might be better to scrap that. Also Kroot Psykers I think are pretty rare so you may want to be sparing with them, especially any decently potent ones. There is something though that none of us have thought of:

Vespid Stingwings

Vespids see in three different modes according to "Mark of the Xenos P26", they do the normal human visual spectrum of light, infrared and also ultraviolet. It says that they use these three in combination and have a perception of their surroundings unique to their race. It's never fully explained what the combination of these three may do and whether they may or may not allow them to perceive a psyker trying to hide from sight. I'll leave that open to interpretation, guess work and a magic 8 ball. They also have lowish intelligence (25) and couldn't even perceive Tau as a sentient lifeform without the helmets. Perhaps this level of misunderstanding. They also do some degree of low level ultrasonic tone from their wings which affects their technology and makes it work. At your discretion since it doesn't argue otherwise, you may opt to use this somehow.

Edited by Calgor Grim

Be cautious about the Nicassar though, they tend to only do well in low gravity environments and are a little docile. Might be better to scrap that. Also Kroot Psykers I think are pretty rare so you may want to be sparing with them, especially any decently potent ones. There is something though that none of us have thought of:

Vespid Stingwings

Vespids see in three different modes according to "Mark of the Xenos P26", they do the normal human visual spectrum of light, infrared and also ultraviolet. It says that they use these three in combination and have a perception of their surroundings unique to their race. It's never fully explained what the combination of these three may do and whether they may or may not allow them to perceive a psyker trying to hide from sight. I'll leave that open to interpretation, guess work and a magic 8 ball. They also have lowish intelligence (25) and couldn't even perceive Tau as a sentient lifeform without the helmets. Perhaps this level of misunderstanding. They also do some degree of low level ultrasonic tone from their wings which affects their technology and makes it work. At your discretion since it doesn't argue otherwise, you may opt to use this somehow.

Calgor,

If you don't mind me asking what is your source for the Nicassar info you've got, the only reference I've ever found for them is in Battlefleet Gothic: Armada - and that mainly focuses on there ships and a little note on there nomadic culture.

I'd also completely forgotten the Vespid, might have to have some fun with them

As for Kroot Psykers I was going to limit proper Psi users to high level Shapers, and have the rest of them at various levels of Psyinscience and Resistance (Psychic) - I'm also thinkning of having the Ork latent Psi ability sort of carry through to Kroot as well - focused through a Shaper who's eaten a weirdboy or two - as a one-off end of mission boss type character/unit

Keep the ideas coming people

Regards

Surak

Maybe the Kroots have been hunting and eating Crotalids so that's why they have little by little developed Psyniscience to detect where/when Crotalids are migrating.

This brought also Idead of Kroot Hounds using Crotalids Warp jumping ability but only for short distances.

"You Idiot, there's nothing heraaaaargh" 

Last words heard before Kroot Hounds devoured every soldier inside fortified bunker  :ph34r:

Hmmm, Idea of Kroots generating Ork like gestalt psyhic powers. I like that  :)

PS. Crotalids can be found in Mark of the Xenos p.62

Routa,

Ah Crotalids, another brilliant Xenos Minor that I'd forgotten about.  I love the idea of teleporting Kroot hounds.

I think I'm going to go through all of the Monster Books and pull out a few to add variety to the Kroot - if anyone has anything (from DH1/RT/DW/OW) that they want me to look at then post it here and I'll see what I can do.

Regards

Surak

(PS - I would include BC Xenos but I don't have any of the BC books so I can't really)

General source for Nicassar information is what has been gathered from the Lexicanium, other 40k wikis and various Tau online forums discussing them although there is a comment that someone spoke to one of the designers Jervis Johnson about them which seemed to suggest they do look a little bear like. All I found suggest docile tendancies but that's cause there's not a lot else out there!

So far then you have:

• Kroot with psychic traces from what they eat
  • Vespids
  • Slight amendments/shielding to Tau technology
  • Human allies/conscripts
  • Drones

At least a good list to give him a run for his money :)

someone spoke to one of the designers Jervis Johnson about them which seemed to suggest they do look a little bear like.

Why, oh why did this pop into my mind  :blink:  

bb009-d.gif

I think I need vacation or thorough brain scan  :lol:

Is his name Skullbasha, I went him last time and I think I still have some Squig-spores in my ear canals.

Lousy things eat my headphones everytime I try to listen music. I have to buy new ones every now and then.

Side query, updated the original document with some attempted special characters such as Shadowsun, Rmyr and Farsight. I am happy to adjust a few though, relying on you lot to playtest them.

Sounds cool, I'll see what I can fit into my group without them noticing too much - as I have a couple of Tau TT players that will call me on fitting named characters in somewhere they really shouldn't be.

Regards

Surak